It ain't the heat it's the...

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here's the 'REAL' test of a "hot" Bourbon.

Have somebody tell you a truly and surprisingly funny joke just as you're swallowing any Bourbon straight.    If it's not hot coming back out through your nose, then it's not a "hot" Bourbon.    If it's particularly uncomfortable as it exits through that schnozz, then it MAY be a "hot" Bourbon.    ...Or maybe your nose just isn't meant for such a test. 

I know mine wasn't prepared for it in any way, shape, or form.    I don't recommend doing this test on purpose.

13 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Here's the 'REAL' test of a "hot" Bourbon.

Have somebody tell you a truly and surprisingly funny joke just as you're swallowing any Bourbon straight...

In the same vein, I learned the hard way, never ever under any circumstances drink GTS with a straw

7 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

In the same vein, I learned the hard way, never ever under any circumstances drink GTS with a straw

I ain't even gonna ask, but that is freaking hilarious. :lol:

As the op of the legacy/ Larceny thread, when I tried Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year Lot B, my first reaction was "wow that's smooth. When I tried the Larceny my first thought was it was hot. I define hot as the alcohol burn on the tongue, throat, and the continued burn down the esophagus.

However a little ice in the Larceny and all is good.

Does anyone else notice a difference... when I drink some barrel proofers, my palate will at some point burn out, and I can't taste any flavor, just burn.

When I drink MM or anything else "hot for its proof", the alcohol taste fades the more I drink, and I taste the flavors more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

Does anyone else notice a difference... when I drink some barrel proofers, my palate will at some point burn out, and I can't taste any flavor, just burn...

someone posted a while back that high proofers might dehydrate taste buds and interfere with flavor. 

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

someone posted a while back that high proofers might dehydrate taste buds and interfere with flavor. 

It seems to me that higher proof carries more flavor. The trick is to sip small amounts very slowly. And, like b1gcountry, I find that the more I drink the better it tastes. Sometimes I have to force myself to drink copious amounts for the full aesthetic experience.

I've grown up in the Deep South. The best Country & Cajun cooking a man could ever ask for. This really helps me understand what I look for in drinks too. Flavor & Warmth are what your looking for. Burns so good. If it's too HOT and you can't taste the flavor. Burns not so good.

I agree with many of the comments above above proof having nothing to do with it. I used to drink everything neat and would add no water. Adding a few drops to some ECBP a while back changed my mind about this. Some bottles can be very good to great at several different proofs. Some aren't good no matter what.

Perception of "Heat" in bourbon is so, so, personal.  Like eating Buffalo wings, some people can eat the 5XPepper Chernobyl Atomic Blaster Hot wings with out batting an eye, and others can't get past 1.5XPepper Lace Panty Mild wings without crying.  :D IMO, our observance of "heat" in bourbon goes along the same lines.

For this reason, people's opinions of "Heat" in a bourbon is one descriptor that I personally give no credence to.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Perception of "Heat" in bourbon is so, so, personal.  Like eating Buffalo wings, some people can eat the 5XPepper Chernobyl Atomic Blaster Hot wings with out batting an eye, and others can't get past 1.5XPepper Lace Panty Mild wings without crying.  :D IMO, our observance of "heat" in bourbon goes along the same lines.

For this reason, people's opinions of "Heat" in a bourbon is one descriptor that I personally give no credence to.  

That's a good plan, since some nights I'm at least 49% sure heat has more to do with the angle I'm sitting at than the bourbon I'm drinking.  Some nights . . .

Edited by garbanzobean

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed, as a descriptor, I pay no attention to it. As you said, it's highly personal and can even vary from day to day.

I do however pay attention to the ones that taste that way to me and if they present that heat time after time (so I know it's not just on off day) I do take note.

My '14 WLW was like this. I struggled time after time to get it drinkable. Because of that, I got rid of my second bottle.

For me hot is when the alcohol overwhelms the flavor and I notice it more with lighter bodied Bourbons.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.