Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Select

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

i recently purchased a bottle of "Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Select" picked for Total Wine. 

I have to say I really enjoy in neat in a lowball glass rather than the standard glencairn. It's not very complex but a great dipper non the less . Huge aroma of butterscotch flows from the glass. 

What at are your thoughts on this bottle?

1. How does the flavor profile different from regular BT? 2. What sort of premium does TW charge for the single barrel?

Ive never tasted that barrel from TW in....?  So, I can't say.

Which Total Wine store did you pick it up from?  I'm not sure how they do their barrel selections and allocations, but with over 130 stores, I would imagine it is some sort of regional thing (if not a individual store allocation - depending upon the location).  

Total Wines around here tend to get multiple single barrels that they spread between 2-3 of the locations which means that certain other locations don't get any.

Given the finite number of possible bottles from any single barrel, unless any of us live in the same town as the OP, none of us have tasted said bottle.

No BT here but our TW stores have had WTRR and 1792 single barrels. I picked up one of each with coupons making them very cheap but haven't opened them yet to judge the selections. 

On August 27, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Flyfish said:

1. How does the flavor profile different from regular BT? 2. What sort of premium does TW charge for the single barrel?

29.99 for a 750ml bottle

20 hours ago, GaryT said:

Which Total Wine store did you pick it up from?  I'm not sure how they do their barrel selections and allocations, but with over 130 stores, I would imagine it is some sort of regional thing (if not a individual store allocation - depending upon the location).  

Burnsville Minnesota

The present BT SB sitting in my cabinet had no price difference with the usual BT bottles. It had a sticker attached to the label denoting it was a single barrel but unlike other SBs I've purchased there was no detailed information regarding the relevant dates or barrel number.  That wouldn't stop me from buying another bottle when I find it again. The two SB bottles I've  purchased so far have turned out well.

• I like it 1

I have a private selection BT in the bunker, not from a great source, but, it does have a barrel number on it.   The other day I saw a private selection batch at Binnys...I was excited until I saw that it was a batch.  Interestingly enough, it still had a "single barrel" sticker; I don't think that should be allowed.  Blatant bullshit in this world of bullshit labels.

10 hours ago, Golzee said:

I have a private selection BT in the bunker, not from a great source, but, it does have a barrel number on it.   The other day I saw a private selection batch at Binnys...I was excited until I saw that it was a batch.  Interestingly enough, it still had a "single barrel" sticker; I don't think that should be allowed.  Blatant bullshit in this world of bullshit labels.

I get your point G. I'll quibble on semantics  and it being blatant bullshit as the small or micro picks is a recent development  in the BT pick program.  I've seen the "single barrel select" stickers on another retailers micro batches of OWA so certainly not the retailers  choice. Have to assume this sticker is pre printed with the sbs on the ring and BT has a ton for the fraction of barrel picks being done...let alone the recent and even fewer micro or small batch variations. I guess the fine print clarification is what brings it out of blatant territory for me. Binny's also was clear in their marketing what it was. But no doubt there are many browsing the store who see the "single barrel select" only and think that's what they're getting. 

For what it's worth this Binny's small batch is delicious and as close to "sessionable" as you can get for a bourbon. Stands among other true single barrel of BT I've had and for my own selfish reasons glad they did it regardless of the sticker. 

image.jpeg

I'll have to give it a try, I'm sure it's good.  I have seen knob creek labeled correctly when it is a private batch.  I'm sure Buffalo Trace could print up separate labels if they chose to.  Blatant or not, it is still misleading.   

• 1 year later...

I picked up a Total Wine BT Single barrel select last night, Shrewsbury, MA. It was priced at 25.99, which made it affordable enough. 

I sipped a couple of ounces ounces while watching Die Hard for the 36th Time (our favorite Christmas movie). It was very similar to the standard BT expression, maybe with a little more pepper on the finish. At the price point, it makes a nice conversation piece in my collection. 

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a standart BT from a store that had their own barrell last year. The bottle from that batch/barrel blew this away. Tonites bottle tasted like WSR at maybe 93 proof.  I was drinking WSR and almost had to pour it out it was so bland..was gonna crack open a Charter 101 but decided to get a standard BT. Wish I had opened something else. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.