Lusty Claw Bourbon???

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw this a couple days ago at one of my local retailers.      'Lusty Claw Bourbon'.   Priced at $55.45/750.   VERY impressive bottle, as far as standing out.   Solid-looking eagle topper, braided gold rope necktie with metallic-looking aglets, heavy glass, nicely designed label... calling itself 'Kentucky' Bourbon, and saying it was distilled in that state; but bottled in (if I remember correctly) Georgia.     The price gave me more than adequate pause.    Instead of carrying one away with me, I settled for an NAS EC, and a OGD 114.   I almost posted this in the 'What have you passed up' category; but went for the 'new thread' since it's a new (to me, anyway) Bourbon.

Anyone have anything to say about this one????

The more swanky the packaging the more suspect the whiskey for me when it comes to many of these NDPs! The website reeks of limburger...

Barrel entry proof of 120 might be a hint if true. The "mashbill" of corn and malt (only) if accurate sounds like maybe Town Branch?

SKU notes it is bottled out of Florida Caribbean Distillers (which only distills rum as best I can tell so I presume they are only the bottlers. Clyde May is also bottled there per SKU). I saw one sight that suggested it was all of 3 years old but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't put the required age info on the label.

Not much chance we will find out where it was really made for the NDP. Even less chance I will buy one which is saying something in my case because I'll buy almost anything! :lol:

Yeah, those comments mirror my own opinions, Bruce.    I'd be happy to try a taste, if someone offered me one; but I ain't shelling out that much coin for this (so-unlikely-to-be-worth-it) brand.

That bottle will help them with sales.  Probably not to this crowd but to the general public.  I really like the bottle but I would never buy it because I can pretty much guarantee that the contents are not to my liking and certainly not worth $55. 

Looks like their label does show 3 yr minimum (at least as they filed it - but we know how tightly all that is enforced these days), as well as KY distilled, but bottled by the company Bruce mentioned.  So - an NDP offering that isn't MGP!  Hmm . . . to rush out and spend how much on 90 proof 3yr bourbon?  I think not :)  Unless I wanted the bottle, which does look fairly cool.  I'll admit - I bought a Willett Pot Still just for the @#$% bottle (although it was at least better than 3 yrs old from what I recollect!)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16209001000214

8 hours ago, squire said:

I wonder how many people will buy this as a "special gift" for a Bourbon drinking friend.

Ah ha . . . so we know what Squire is looking for under the Christmas tree this year ;) 

Edited by GaryT
Fixed emoticon

16 hours ago, squire said:

I wonder how many people will buy this as a "special gift" for a Bourbon drinking friend.

I have an unopened bottle of Bib & Tucker from just such a gift. I'm sure it cost $60 or more and the intent was very heartfelt from the gifter but I have no incentive to open it and too much conscience to regift it. 

Squire may be thinking of the nice woman who wanted suggestions for a gift bourbon. Good bourbon would have been nice but a good looking bottle was absolutely essential.

This almost seems like a parody.

My wife looked at the website and asked "is this made in Russia?" The distributor is listed as "Black Sea Imports," so maybe.

The Whois search on the website turned up the following:

Registrant Contact

Name: Marik Yagudayev

Organization:

Mailing Address: 12 Greenway North, Forest Hills New York 11375 US

Phone: +1.9179028556

Ext:

Fax:

Fax Ext:

Email:sales@alexgoldrefinery.com

20 minutes ago, jsrudd said:

...My wife looked at the website and asked "is this made in Russia?" The distributor is listed as "Black Sea Imports," so maybe...The Whois search on the website turned up the following:

Registrant Contact Name: Marik Yagudayev...Email:sales@alexgoldrefinery.com

alex gold is a multifaceted jewelry company been around about 25-30 years, New York City.  Perhaps this bourbon is a just for fun project?

4 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

alex gold is a multifaceted jewelry company been around about 25-30 years, New York City.  Perhaps this bourbon is a just for fun project?

.....expressly NOT intended for actual drinking.....      Maybe?

This is the weirdest name for a bourbon ever. The owners must have been drunk on rum when they came up with it.

2 hours ago, mark fleetwood said:

This is the weirdest name for a bourbon ever. The owners must have been drunk on rum when they came up with it.

I like it.  Makes me want to buy a bottle to use as decanter.  But you're right, the name seems more suited for a vodka or rum, not bourbon, and certainly not premium price bourbon.

• 3 weeks later...

Have not found any review for this yet. The most I could find was on this thread. I'm new to Straight Bourbon and don't usually write reviews ... so please bust my chops as needed...

27 minutes ago, bourbonwedrink said:

Have not found any review for this yet. The most I could find was on this thread. I'm new to Straight Bourbon and don't usually write reviews ... so please bust my chops as needed...

I think you learned a good lesson there.  Bourbon often changes after the first pour or two from a bottle.  It's a good idea not to judge it until you are a little ways through the bottle.

Really nice picture!

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I can't get excited about a 3 year old bourbon for $50+. I'll pass.

I am Totally with Steve on this.     Waaaaaaay toooooo much cheddar for a Bourbon this young.  

That said, I still think the bottle and it's accoutrement is marketing genius, itself.    That, however, does NOT make me want to haul out my wallet.   I would give about $20 for a full bottle (or maybe an empty one, even) to own this stunning presentation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.