KY Bourbon Mini-Tour in February?

GeeTen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all,

I'll be flying into Knoxville, TN to officiate at the 2017 SEC Swimming Championships @ UT in the middle of February (yeah, I'm still a National/NCAA swimming official with International experience - but that's another story for the bourbon bar).  The meet actually starts on Monday, Feb. 13 with the Coaches/Officials dinner hosted by UT.  So being a typical New Englander and used to driving in the snow, I look at a map and figured it's only about a 1 hour drive from Knoxville to Lexington, KY and the Promised Land of BT and the Bourbon Trail.  Ha - Google maps says closer to 3 1/2 hr drive in the best of conditions.  Undeterred, I start some planning to fly into TYS on Friday afternoon and drive up to Lexington/Louisville to stay o-nite Friday.  Saturday, I'd do a tour of BT and one (1) other distillery.  Spend a lazy Sunday hitting some other stores and other tours and head back to UT Monday morning.

So, how's the weather down there in mid-February?  Besides BT, any other highly (and easily accessible) recommended distilleries that I shouldn't miss?  Am I nuts for even thinking about this adventure?  I've already checked out all the threads in this topic (including Favorite Distillery Tours) but am asking about traveling into KY in February and which, if any, distilleries shut down during the winter.  Inquiring minds want/need to know.  TIA for your replies, helpful hints and overall joyful comments.   :rolleyes: 

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and grammar corrections

The drive from the airport (south of Knoxville) to Lexington will take you 2.5 hours in good conditions.  The weather can be anywhere from sunny and 65F to a ice and/or snow clad 0F in late February (you get the point). 

Once in Lexington, you have 4R, WT, MM, BT, Town Branch and Glenn's Creek (all within 30-40 minutes).  If you choose, you also have access to Bardstown (HH, Willett, Barton), MM and 4R warehousing and gift shop at Cox's Creek... all within 1 1/4-1.5 hours. 

Louisville is also an option, as it's an easy 1 1/4 hour drive...

Please keep in mind, the drive into Ky from Knoxville is mountainous.  Weather can be, and often is, a major factor in your ability to move about here during the winter.  It's usually no big deal, but when the interstate gets shut down.... 

Snow and mountains - HA! I'm from New England!   :D

Thx for your "heads up'.  Will plan accordingly.    :)

• 3 months later...

Knoxville will be glad to have you. Echoing what the other guys said, we don't get too much ice and snow here but that road from here to Lexington has been known to close if conditions are poor. That being said there is about a 95% chance that you won't have any problems with cold while you are here. There is a cool little speakeasy in a popular part of Knoxville called Peter Kern Library, fun place to visit. Have you decided what other distilleries to stop at while you are down here? What else is on your itinerary?

I'll be in the same area on February 13 and 14 (Lexington, Frankfort, Louisville) on business and I'm curious to know what I might turn up in some of the gift shops. Tours would be nice, but I likely won't have too much time for that. On the other hand, hitting a few strategic gift shops and picking up something I can't find in TX would be of interest. I have my sights on BT. Any others that might have some unique, distillery-only bottles of note?

BT is a good tour if you have time (try for the hard hat tour) but not sure the BT gift shop will have much of note unless your area is largely devoid of all basic BT brands.

Not far down the road is Four Roses and they usually, but not always, have a single barrel cask strength selection on the shelf. You can call ahead to see if there is anything when you are in town. Presuming you like Four Roses of course! Cox Creek (the 4R rickhouse and bottling area) is closer to Louisville and has a gift shop that may have a cask strength recipe in stock but it is smaller than the main distillery. Again calliing in advance might be useful. Both have the usual branded hats, shirts, etc.

Woodford and Wild Turkey are in the same general area as BT as well. Woodford occasionally has something different in the gift shop but I am not sure that is always a good thing. Usually it is very pricey and can be a bit odd. Don't think WT generally has much in stock in the gift shop other than the usual suspects.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.