What do you all think of Kentucky Vintage?

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't had it for 3 or 4 years. When last I had it there wasn't much memorable other than a more pronounced char or smoke note than I typically find in bourbon. And from what i remember, it was a flavor that faded in and out through the tasting. Not at all unpleasant, but evasive

\

Kentucky Vintage is not bad, but not great either. I think I paid around $25 for the bottle I have, so it's pretty inexpensive if you want to try it again. I don't regret buying the bottle I have, but I don't go back to it much and probably won't get another once it is gone since there are so many other whiskeys out there to try.

Never tried it because it's not available here. My understanding is that it's a shell of its former self so don't expect much if you buy one.

What Steve said...  There's plenty of good bourbon available, with a known pedigree, for me to fool around with one that doesn't...

It's been years since I bought a bottle.  I would pick them up occasionally when they were this screaming vegetal/mentholyptus bomb.  Obviously, old HH stock, and quite unique even for that.  Then, came the day I bought the one that would become my last.  It had changed.  It had become just another undistinguishable bourbon.      Caramel, vanilla, blah, blah, blah.  That was my last bottle.  Such is sourced whiskey.  Nice looking bottle still, though.

Just realized that in my haze last night, I saw the words "Kentucky Vintage" and pictured in my mind's eye the Kentucky Tavern bottle so I responded about that one.

I HAVE actually tasted Kentucky Vintage several times and had a bottle. I was never fortunate to taste one of the earlier releases that Joe mentioned above. I've only tasted recent releases. And they all taste the same: wet cardboard. It's the same flavor I got from HH 4yrBIB. The HH had a few other things going on that made the wet cardboard tolerable, and, it's like $12 or something. KV is $25 or so and is just not worth it. Someday, Willett will put their own whiskey in this bottle and I'll try it again then.

It's been a number of years.  To me it was just really average.  In the same price range or less I could do much better.  Those KBD brands are sourced, so who knows what or how they are now.  I'd be surprized if it improved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.