What has been your most cost efficient pour at a bar...

icarus625
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bring this topic up only because I went to a bar / restaurant in Delaware this evening and found a 2015 BTAC Stagg (neat) pour for $8...I wanted to tell the bartender they were way off but couldn't...took advantage of the situation and ordered three glorious pours.

All I can say is; "WOW!"    That is easily the best bar buy for any pour at any bar I've ever heard of.     Good for you!

'15 GTStagg isn't the very best one I've tasted; but it's pretty damned good, and easily worth 5-times that charge.   Personally I have not experienced what I'd call a 'bargain' pour at any bar (other than the freebies I've had); but I have experienced the opposite on a few occasions.    Won't go into those here.   Wrong topic for this thread.

I live in the DC metro area, so my best bet is to drink water so I can drive home and pour myself something good.

Joking aside, there is a bar near me that serves all the LE bourbon you could want for reasonable prices.  The problem is that their food is not very good.  Like none of it.  So I have to get lunch or dinner elsewhere, then walk over to this place.

All I can say is; "WOW!"    That is easily the best bar buy for any pour at any bar I've ever heard of.     Good for you!

'15 GTStagg isn't the very best one I've tasted; but it's pretty damned good, and easily worth 5-times that charge.   Personally I have not experienced what I'd call a 'bargain' pour at any bar (other than the freebies I've had); but I have experienced the opposite on a few occasions.    Won't go into those here.   Wrong topic for this thread.

I have never tasted a bourbon I would pay $40 for just one pour, I guess I have been missing out on something.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, there weren't many bottles of 2015, maybe somewhere's about 5700?  rare treat.  your lucky day!

Dang......$8 for Stagg. Not sure anyone will be able to beat that. 

I used to be able to get Stagg for $17 a pour at the bar across the street from my office but that was two years ago. During the same time period, we could get Handy for about $9 but that was because it was mislabeled in the system as standard Sazerac Rye. 

More recently, I had a pour of Booker's Rye for $30. Given the bottle MSRP of $300, that's a great deal. It was a friendly price granted to me by the bar manager because I was a whiskey geek who talked bourbon with him for a while. Their standard price was $85. 

On a more practical day to day level, I look for Single Barrels that the bar selected. There can be great value in those. Charr'd Bourbon Kitchen & Lounge in Louisville had a fantastic barrel pick of OWA for $9 I believe. I had a few of those during the KBA until we emptied their last bottle.

11 hours ago, Thig said:

I have never tasted a bourbon I would pay $40 for just one pour, I guess I have been missing out on something.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

We all (well, most of us) have to set reasonable limits on our spending.      I'd  say it's unlikely I'd spend that for a pour either, however I won't say; 'never'.   The point I was trying to make is that $40 or so isn't outside the expected ask for a pour of some legendary unicorn like GTS.     ...In fact, that may even still qualify as a bargain in more than a few ares on the planet.   The difficulty in sourcing such limited releases lends the opportunity for a tavern to up the charge to quite high levels and still empty the bottle in a reasonable time period.    Also, who knows what the tavern may have paid to acquire the bottle in the first place?

If quality isn't an issue the it has to be 16 oz of MM for $8. It was a bar at a concert venue. I asked her to put it in a beer cup with no ice because they didn't allow hard spirits in arena. She filled the cup up. Don't remember Kenny Chesney that much.

3 minutes ago, Enoch said:

If quality isn't an issue the it has to be 16 oz of MM for $8. It was a bar at a concert venue. I asked her to put it in a beer cup with no ice because they didn't allow hard spirits in arena. She filled the cup up. Don't remember Kenny Chesney that much.

Hahaha...amazing.

On the quality side..West End Tavern in Boulder CO had a 17 year Pappy SB they got some years ago. It was magnificent and $18 for 1.5 oz so I would drink that while in town. I even tried to get them to sell me a bottle to no avail. Last time I was there they were no longer serving it as the owner was down to a couple of bottles and he was saving them.

16 hours ago, icarus625 said:

I bring this topic up only because I went to a bar / restaurant in Delaware this evening and found a 2015 BTAC Stagg (neat) pour for $8...I wanted to tell the bartender they were way off but couldn't...took advantage of the situation and ordered three glorious pours.

I live in Delaware, and I would love to be able to taste what all the fuss is about for only $8.00!!!

Could you please message me with where you had that 2015 BTC Stagg?  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Richdel said:

I live in Delaware, and I would love to be able to taste what all the fuss is about for only $8.00!!!

Could you please message me with where you had that 2015 BTC Stagg?  Thanks!

I could not send you a message for some reason...It was in Newark, DE at a place called Home Grown Cafe...the bartender had to ask the cost because the bottle was unopened. Good luck, hope you get the same price:)!

8 hours ago, icarus625 said:

I could not send you a message for some reason...It was in Newark, DE at a place called Home Grown Cafe...the bartender had to ask the cost because the bottle was unopened. Good luck, hope you get the same price:)!

I believe he needs 10 posts before he gets access to PM's. 

Anything at my local American Legion Post. :D Prices range from $3.25 a pour for things like MM, to $4.50 a pour for Booker's, etc… Nice pours. Almost half full small rocks glasses.^_^

On 9/30/2016 at 9:13 PM, icarus625 said:

I was understandably envious when I read this. Doubly so when I got our dinner bill Saturday night and realized I was charged $9.50 for a pour of KC.

On 10/2/2016 at 8:06 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Anything at my local American Legion Post. :D Prices range from $3.25 a pour for things like MM, to $4.50 a pour for Booker's, etc… Nice pours. Almost half full small rocks glasses.^_^

I'd be excited to find Booker's for twice that price in a bar!

I went to brunch with some friends several months back and the restaurant had FRLESmB 2015 for $11, so I skipped the mimosas and had one (or two?) of those instead.

On October 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Enoch said:

Enoch: You are da man!  Kenny Chesney and 16ozs of bourbon  sounds like a heck of a party to me.    Wish I'd been there but probably wouldn't have remembered much either! 

Not quite 16 oz. but I once asked for a MM neat and received a full rocks glass.  Better yet, my employer picked up the tab. 

13 hours ago, $helby said:

Enoch: You are da man!  Kenny Chesney and 16ozs of bourbon  sounds like a heck of a party to me.    Wish I'd been there but probably wouldn't have remembered much either! 

My wife kept telling me to pour the rest out but I couldn't bring myself to do it....

On October 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

On October 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Kpiz said:

I'd be excited to find Booker's for twice that price in a bar!

I went to brunch with some friends several months back and the restaurant had FRLESmB 2015 for $11, so I skipped the mimosas and had one (or two?) of those instead.

FWIW, the bartender told me they had a whiskey tasting event a while back, and they had some bottles left over from the tasting. I'm guessing it was from a distributor that carries Beam products since they have Baker's, Booker's, BH, KC, KC Rye and KCSB. All these seem to have been languishing on the back bar because no one drank them. :wacko: That is until me, Vosgar and our bourbon/cigar buddies started showing up. ;) Being a private club, regular American Legion members as well as "social" members pay yearly dues to belong to the Post. Part of the yearly dues from regular Legion members goes to the Post, as well as all of the social  members dues. As with any private organization, I think this offsets the cost of running the club, so drinks at the bar are a lot cheaper. 

About 4 years ago I was at Delmonico in the Venetian drinking Parkers Heritage 10yr Wheated Mashbill for $10 a pour.  As my wife was laughing at the guy next to me explaining that if I liked bourbon I should get a shot of that Van Winkle stuff.  I had had it before and to this day, it's still one of my all time favorites.  

On the other end of that equation, on a different trip to Vegas that year I had a pour of the 25yr Rittenhouse Rye for something like $30-33 a pour.  Didn't seem like I would have many opportunities to come across it again so I tried it.  Didn't feel the need for a second pour, but don't regret the opportunity.

To me that is both ends of my spectrum.   

A local restaurant/bar had a Van Winkle tasting event last year. They had some of the entire bourbon lineup and they sold 1oz pours at retail (10year for $3.xx, 12 for $5.xx, etc.) Each person in line got two tickets and you got two pours of whatever was left when you got to the bar. I think they only gave out 100 tickets. The last 20 year was the person in front of me. I got the last 15 year and a 12. My wife got a 12 and a 10. All for around $20! I preferred the 10 to the 12. But the 15 is still the best bourbon I've ever tasted.

FB_IMG_1475634870541.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

A few years ago I used to drink barrel-aged manhattans made with VWFRR for around $15 at a nearby bar. Needless to say, the bar now uses a different rye. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.