There is an App for that..........

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all, my collection is getting bigger and I was wondering if there was an App out there I could use to keep a record of what I have, maybe the ability to build the database by scanning the bottle, rather than type everything in. Also a feature where I could see if the value of what I have is going up or down.

I am sure when I see some of the collections on this forum there must be an App that people use to keep track of everything.

I just use Excel on my computer. I sure you could use google docs if you wanted to update it on your phone. I don't care about value since I only pick up stuff that I intend to drink eventually. 

Hi all, my collection is getting bigger and I was wondering if there was an App out there I could use to keep a record of what I have, maybe the ability to build the database by scanning the bottle, rather than type everything in. Also a feature where I could see if the value of what I have is going up or down.

I am sure when I see some of the collections on this forum there must be an App that people use to keep track of everything.

Distiller – Your Personal Liquor Expert by Distiller https://appsto.re/us/jsqYU.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As JoeTerp suggested, I use Google sheets to track my inventory and have the app for updating it on my phone, which isn't normally necessary. I don't mind making manual updates and I like that I can format it how I like it. Value doesn't change that quickly so manually updating that field is ok for me too...I plan on drinking everything I have but having value is helpful for insurance purposes.

I'm also a spreadsheet user, although the only value I capture is what I paid for it (more for battling CRS than anything else).  For me, it helps me monitor my purchasing v consumption curve, fill levels, etc.  

I made a spreadsheet.  What are you going to track price to?  Retail shelf?  Local or broader?  Secondary?  

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2016 at 9:33 PM, briankeith513 said:

Distiller – Your Personal Liquor Expert by Distiller https://appsto.re/us/jsqYU.i

I just downloaded this app and it's pretty awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.

I use CellarTracker. Somewhat of a hold over from days when I was drinking more wine and less whiskey. However their whiskey database is getting larger and they are very helpful with adding new bottles when needed. It has lots of nice features including easy tracking of tasting notes (both your own and community) and ability to quickly gets stats. Started by an ex-Microsoft guy maybe 10+ year ago with easy mobile app. Only thing lacks for whiskey is ability to differentiate open vs sealed. But perhaps if more folks using for whiskey that's something they could add...

8 hours ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

I use CellarTracker. Somewhat of a hold over from days when I was drinking more wine and less whiskey. However their whiskey database is getting larger and they are very helpful with adding new bottles when needed. It has lots of nice features including easy tracking of tasting notes (both your own and community) and ability to quickly gets stats. Started by an ex-Microsoft guy maybe 10+ year ago with easy mobile app. Only thing lacks for whiskey is ability to differentiate open vs sealed. But perhaps if more folks using for whiskey that's something they could add...

That's the same one I use... also from drinking wine first.

I tend to use it more for higher value bottles though, less for daily drinkers.

I also tend to use for higher value bottles although I do try to put everything in. 

I've been using CellarTracker for more than 12 years for wine. I hadn't thought about using it for bourbons, so this is great !  I'm going to have to figure out how to distinguish different purchases of the same product.  For example, I have W12 from at least 3 different dumps, based on the bottles codes, and I'd like to track them separately. 

Because they started for wine they have vintages or the ability to add vintages. I did this with some van winkle stuff. They also have the ability to enter a different price per each bottle you add or assign to a different cellar/bunker location etc. 

Skj. 12 years ago is way back to the beginning of CellarTracker I think. I have no idea exactly when i started on the system but am user #289 so probably same era as you. 

Saul_cooperstein, you predate me on CellarTracker !  I've been on it since July of 2004 and I'm user #753.

The weather is lousy this weekend so it might be a good time to get the bourbon inventory entered.

I have to update mine as well for some new purchases/trades. Weather in LA supposed to be less than ideal as well by LA weather standards (meaning highs won't hit much more than 70). 

3 hours ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

I have to update mine as well for some new purchases/trades. Weather in LA supposed to be less than ideal as well by LA weather standards (meaning highs won't hit much more than 70). 

Those of us in Seattle have no sympathy for you.

On topic: how easy/hard is Cellar Tracker to use? What is the cost? If started by a Microsoft guy, does it play well on iOS?

As my collection of both wine and bourbon grows, it would behoove me to keep closer tabs on things.

CellarTracker is very easy to use. There are certain features such as adding new bottles that aren't in their database that work on desktop and not in their mobile app. I use a desktop PC and a iOS phone and have had no issues with either. In terms of price the site / app are free with a suggested donation to activate certain features that are really more wine focused such as valuation and professional tasting notes I believe. I have gone years without making the donation at times (having been on the system I guess for 12+ years) and have always had good service and interaction whether I had made one or not recently. 

I entered most of my bunker today. Was easier than I anticipated and there are a lot of bourbon options in there. I just need to download some pics at some point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I spent about an hour today updating varietal (I think that's the category name) so I could quickly segregate and correctly classify my rye and wheaters. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.