Buffalo Trace OFC Vintage Bottles Charity

JT3NSB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You may have read something about the upcoming release of these OFC vintages that will be gifted to 200 charities.  http://ofcvintages.com

We were notified today that my girlfriends very worthwhile charity,  was awarded one.  We are working out details to pick up now.  It is very important to her charity to raise as much as possible, like all charities I suppose. BT requires that the auction be completed by March and we have to report back the amount of the donation at that time.  So we have some time to plan and execute. 

I was looking for some ideas on how to best approach this. I believe an online auction will cast the widest net.  Hoping a few of you had some creative ideas?   Any thoughts? Cheers!

Good to know they have started awarding these.  I passed this along to a charity contact so I wonder if they got selected as well.  In any event, this charity contact had mentioned using the bottle in an auction in conjunction with a hold 'em poker event, but that was in an off-the-cuff immediate response to being told about the bottle in the first place. 

I'd look into having a 'per plate' or 'per table' dinner, with multiple items being auctioned off the same evening.  You get a local restaurant(s) and liquor store(s) to donate services/goods for a tax deduction (and free advertising).  The attendee's incurred cost for tables/plates are also tax deductible as a donation to your charity. 

Good food, good liquor, and enough items of interest to get a crowd in the door.  Hopefully the good liquor loosens up the wallets a bit for the auction that follows! 

I don't think anyone is offended.  I was just trying to get Paddy's goat.  This has been a very egalitarian board during my stay.  Special exemptions for widely respected subject matter experts, obviously.

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

no offense meant.  New to the board and crossed up the UN with the post level ID (guru) 

Paddy is pretty hard to offend. 

22 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

I was looking for some ideas on how to best approach this. I believe an online auction will cast the widest net.  Hoping a few of you had some creative ideas?   Any thoughts? Cheers!

You might want to consult the charity's legal staff about the possible implications of offering liquor on line without a license. I'm not saying you can't. Just saying it could come back to bite you. 

Edited by Flyfish

thank you Flyfish.  We have considered that.  This is part of why I reached out here, trying to get some opinions from the board on how best to accomplish this. 

heck, im so new on here, I managed to offend someone and violate forum rules.  Sweet.  Sorry about that. :ph34r: 

On 11/2/2016 at 2:26 PM, JT3NSB said:

thank you Flyfish.  We have considered that.  This is part of why I reached out here, trying to get some opinions from the board on how best to accomplish this. 

I've worked on the legal issues re: charity auctions and spirits or wine.  Crossing state lines AND shipping are particular areas to watch.

THE GOOD NEWS IS: since most (if not all) jurisdictions are implicitly but primarily interested in the taxes they collect on spirits, the state alcohol control offices, in my experience, are willing and able to help you through the overlapping laws, rules, and policies including the interstate ones if only to ensure that Mammon gets paid.  BUT, call early.

19 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

heck, im so new on here, I managed to offend someone and violate forum rules.  Sweet.  Sorry about that. :ph34r: 

I hope I didn't make you feel unwelcome.  Your post offered a nice setup, so I took it.  If I did, by chance, I certainly apologize.  I welcome any and all to this August Assemblage, with all the pomp and circumstance of my station in society.  Let's not question the latter part of that statement too closely, eh?  Might not stand up to a lot of scrutiny . . .

all good Garbonzo!   As you would have it Harry, BT has required that we contact the state ABC board and they get to dictate what is allowed.  They have rules that will have to be followed.  

5 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I hope I didn't make you feel unwelcome.  Your post offered a nice setup, so I took it.  If I did, by chance, I certainly apologize.  I welcome any and all to this August Assemblage, with all the pomp and circumstance of my station in society.  Let's not question the latter part of that statement too closely, eh?  Might not stand up to a lot of scrutiny . . .

Troublemaker!  :lol:

Seriously JT, I doubt that anyone here was offended in any way (I certainly was not)!

We're just a bunch of like minded enablers, who get a little bored every now and then...:rolleyes:

I do hope you can a bit of cooperation from your ABC board, so that you can pull this thing off with much success! 

A charity that I am connected with also received a bottle.  Can anyone give any guesses as to what a bottle should bring at raffle/auction?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, cnybrbnhntr said:

A charity that I am connected with also received a bottle.  Can anyone give any guesses as to what a bottle should bring at raffle/auction?

Thanks!

I think it really comes down to two things...  how deep are the pockets in the room, and how worthy is the charity?

I've seen a Pappy flight (one bottle of each brand in the family lineup) go for $7500 (last year) and $2500 (this year)... all at the same benefit, for the same charity. 

Obviously, I thought the price this year was a steal for the buyer(s).  Tax deductible, to boot!     

we had seen a few media quotes of up to 10k - http://thewhiskeywash.com/bourbon/buffalo-trace-drops-new-rare-collection-o-f-c-bourbons-crystal-bottles/

But as Paddy said, we think it depends greatly on who's in the room.  the state here has some restrictions that may will limit the size of the audience somewhat.  either way, it was a nice thing to be able to receive for the charity.  We are hoping to learn more from BT soon, about the juice thats in the bottles.  I have read all sorts of things and their website on it is al title vague about how this stuff came to be. 

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

I think that comes directly from BT's mouth on the OFC website itself: "Each vintage has a story to tell indeed,” stated Kris Comstock from Buffalo Trace Distillery. “To offer this first release to charitable organizations for their fundraising efforts makes this even more rewarding. We expect bottles to raise upwards of $10,000 each for worthy causes.”

• 1 month later...

these are shipping now with some fairly interesting activity around them.  will be interesting to see how everyone views these things and what market value is...

I would imagine the prices for these kinds of things, especially at a charity auction will soar.     Raising funds for good causes is always an excellent use of disposable income. 

Over-spending on some ostentatiously rare and sought-after Bourbon is not hard to foresee in such circumstances.     I've done similar things myself.... and not regretted it, though my wallet was less-than-delighted.

The eagle has landed. Unboxing and some good pics to come this weekend.  1983 version.  

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2369.PNG

IMG_2370.PNG

IMG_2371.PNG

Edited by JT3NSB

Bordering on madness...valued at $10,000 because it was distilled in 1983?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is simply AA distillate that's likely over-aged and made drinkable by reducing the proof to 90?  I say save $9500 and find a bottle of 2015 or earlier Saz18, distilled in 1985 (I think that just as easily qualifies as a "bygone era"), and enjoy a world class spirit.  But that's just me.

All that said, I applaud BT for getting these out via the charity route...but $10,000??  Geesh...

Edited by sbsbsb

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.