Death Bed Manhattan

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Death Bed Manhattan

2 oz Rye Whiskey

3/4 ounce dry vermouth

3/4 ounce sweet vermouth

3 or 4 dashes of Angostura bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with orange zest and a Luxardo cherry

IMG_4355.jpg

@ Guru Yep.  That was the Rye called for in that recipe.  Perfect Manhattan.  I can go with that as it was pretty damn fine.

• 11 months later...

A Perfect Manhattan is a tasty cocktail, and it will be significantly improved by using quality vermouth. The Carpano qualifies in my book as "quality," but Noilly Prat is one of those mediocre vermouth brands that use lousy wine and produce a lousy product. Other mediocre/lousy tasting brands include Cinzano and Martini & Rossi.

If you want to elevate the flavor of your cocktails, I recommend vermouth brands Vya and Dolin...I'm sure that there are many other less-well-known quality vermouths, but stay away from the mass market vermouths if you want a quality cocktail. Also, make sure you store your vermouth in the refrigerator because wine-based products degrade rapidly without proper storage.

Edited by Oboe Cadobro

I'm not a big vermouth lover to begin with, but I find nothing wrong with Noilly Prat.  It's a solid vermouth, IMO.  

I have never had much issue with Noilly Prat either but to each his own. I do tend to prefer their dry over their sweet vermouth and in particular the European dry version (which I think is now known as "Original French Dry) over the version that was long exported exclusively to the US. The US version was more clear in appearance (like vodka clear) than the European version which was a touch yellowish. The clear version was discontinued by Noilly Prat for a while but has now returned to the US as "Extra Dry" due to the complaints of the US martini drinking crowd which apparently preferred the clear version to blend with their vodka so it was as colorless and flavorless as possible. Heaven forbid anybody actually put gin in a martini...

As long as it is a good fresh bottle of vermouth (in addition to the refrigerator I use a vacuvin to seal vermouth and even then it is certainly not going to last all that long) I can use most any vermouth in most cocktails unless the vermouth is leading the way. If the vermouth is playing a leading role or I have adapted to a certain brand for a particular drink then I might be more selective. I am rather addicted to the vanilla heavy Antica though!

The Vya, in particular the red, is rather sweet and distinctive to me and different from a more typical sweet vermouth from Italy or France.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.