Smoked Rye Whiskies

Organicbourbonlover
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't see, hear, or read much about smoked Rye?  Any insights, recommendations of thoughts?  I would think the smokey earthiness would be a great compliment to a spicy earthy Rye?

About the only thing that comes to mind right away are small "craft" whiskies like Copper Fox rye and the Sonoma County Cherrywood smoked rye. Young whiskey aged in small barrels for a relatively short time so you are forewarned!

Have no idea how widely distributed the Sonoma is but I think it is in Georgia so it might be in MN. 

Tasmania's Belgrove distiliiery do a 'peated rye' which I can't wait to try, being a lover of both. I've tried their normal rye and it is lush. It's as close to a single malt whisky as rye could possible be. 

Expensive tho... but then it is practically a one man band and Peter Bignell seems like a mad hatter (he recently did a "Rye smoked with dung from the sheep that eat the leftover rye mash" - called Wholly Shit). 

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Tasmania's Belgrove distiliiery do a 'peated rye' which I can't wait to try, being a lover of both. I've tried their normal rye and it is lush. It's as close to a single malt whisky as rye could possible be. 

Expensive tho... but then it is practically a one man band and Peter Bignell seems like a mad hatter (he recently did a "Rye smoked with dung from the sheep that eat the leftover rye mash" - called Wholly Shit). 

I think you likely have a while to wait on that one! I don't think it is even a year old yet. I would certainly try it if I got the opportunity but I think that is unlikely as it is probably going to be a very limited release and certainly not going to get to the US.

interesting thread. I have thought that a 100% rye malt could be THE American single malt whiskey. I can imagine experiments with various American wood being used to roast the malt to varying degrees. A range of flavors could be produced similar to the various single malt scotches.

Regards, Jim    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.