E.H. Taylor Straight Rye 2016

GreggJ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello All,

Anyone had the pleasure of trying this yet?  I just saw this on the shelves and almost pulled the trigger but, I hit my spending limit.  I wanted to circle back and do some research before diving into a bottle.  I ended up going home with a 4R Private Selection, Russells Reserve Single Barrel and a couple Weller Special Reserves. 

Any thoughts on this?  I am pretty sure curiosity will get the better of me and I will end up grabbing one.

Here is my down and dirty on CEHT Rye.  Worth buying a bottle at retail price ($70?), yes in my opinion.  Worth bunkering--likely not, but YMMV.  It is an interesting Kentucky rye, high rye if I recall correctly.  Good flavor, good rye spice.  Different than HH (Pikesville) and MGP/LDI ryes. 

The rub is that CEHT rye is not necessarily "better" than Pikesville, or SAOS 7 Year rye, which are more in the $40-$50 range, so the value on the CEHT is not all that great.  Its value has likely diminished as more and more good ryes have hit the shelves.  That said, I do enjoy it, and am glad to have one open and a couple in the bunker.

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the response.  That's exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for.  I may grab a bottle if its still kicking around next time I'm in.  If I do I'll be certain to post my thoughts.

Thanks again.

If you've never had it, it's worth owning a bottle to form your own opinions on it. (Hard to form a solid opinion based on one pour at a bar).

I think it's really good stuff but the price makes it hard to go back.

I've owned exactly one bottle of it. I'll probably buy one again some day but I'm not in a hurry because there's so many great ryes out there for a lot less.

If they lowered the price to $50 I'd likely be all over it consistently.

If you've never had it, it's worth owning a bottle to form your own opinions on it. (Hard to form a solid opinion based on one pour at a bar).

I think it's really good stuff but the price makes it hard to go back.

I've owned exactly one bottle of it. I'll probably buy one again some day but I'm not in a hurry because there's so many great ryes out there for a lot less.

If they lowered the price to $50 I'd likely be all over it consistently.

My thoughts exactly. I second every word of this.

It's around $70ish in Atlanta and at that price I enjoyed my bottle but I won't be buying a second.

I'll echo everyone's thoughts. I've had it and enjoyed it but never felt the need to buy a bottle at $63 (with store coupon) when I can get pikesville at $45, RRSiB rye at $47 or rittenhouse at $22 at the same store. Even WT101R at $40 per liter satisfies the rye need. 

Picked up one of these this afternoon, to share at a party on Saturday. Of course, I'll have to open it before then, you know, just to make sure the cork isn't tainted. :)

Never had it before...seemed like a good excuse to try it.

Edited by GrPeMi

It's unique (and good) enough that it's definitely worth buying a bottle of at least once. If it were about $15 cheaper, I'd almost always keep a bottle on hand just because there's nothing else really like it (and again, I think it's quite good).

I agree with what others have noted above.  It's a totally different animal than the WT, HH, Beam, or MGP ryes.  I get some teasingly subtle fruit, rye, leather and chocolate notes from it.  Value added, I also pick up on some good old barnyard dirt that a good rye will often give.  The price is the downside, which keeps me from reaching for it as often as I'd like, but, because it is unique (and good), I do always keep one in the house.

As Gary would say, "for science"!  ;)

• 10 months later...

I was searching thru the archives for this very thread.  The ABC is starting a lottery today for some CEHT products with one of them being the Straight Rye. I was wondering if it was worth the extra $10 over the Pikesville which seems to be the crowd favorite here.  In keeping with past lotteries I most likely wouldn't stand a chance of winning but if for some strange happenstance the sun, moon, and stars all aligned and I got the call would that be a good thing or not?  The consensus seems to be go with Pikesville and save the $10. My only lottery win was for some CEHT 4g which is still sitting unopened down in the bunker. 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I was searching thru the archives for this very thread.  The ABC is starting a lottery today for some CEHT products with one of them being the Straight Rye. I was wondering if it was worth the extra $10 over the Pikesville which seems to be the crowd favorite here.  In keeping with past lotteries I most likely wouldn't stand a chance of winning but if for some strange happenstance the sun, moon, and stars all aligned and I got the call would that be a good thing or not?  The consensus seems to be go with Pikesville and save the $10. My only lottery win was for some CEHT 4g which is still sitting unopened down in the bunker. 

I didn't think CEHT Rye was limited. It's a very good rye, I don't know if it's worth a lottery pic. 

For me it's hard to compare it to pikesville because CEHT is more rye tasting and PV is more bourbon tasting. Both are very good, just different. 

30 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I didn't think CEHT Rye was limited. It's a very good rye, I don't know if it's worth a lottery pic. 

For me it's hard to compare it to pikesville because CEHT is more rye tasting and PV is more bourbon tasting. Both are very good, just different. 

In Va we only see CEHT products in lotteries.  However the number of bottles being offered is going up and the frequency is also increasing since they just had a lottery for CEHT last month.

Today’s offerings are:

straight rye 125 bottles @$59.99

SmB 611 bottles @$39.99 (I’ve never seen this many bottles in a lottery before)

SiB 377 bottles @$59.99

I appreciate your comparisons. How would you describe Sazerac? I did get a bottle of that and I’m enjoying it.

I bought a bottle of the CEHT rye late last year. My earlier impressions were very positive, but as I worked my way through the bottle I liked it less, which is odd, generally I go the other way. I think it's an okay rye, and good to have something different than the typical MGP, Canadian, or Heaven Hill rye flavor profiles, but at the $70 it sells for around here it is overpriced for sure. I would say Pikesville and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel are better ($50 and $65 respectively), as is Whistlepig 10 ($60) or WP barrel proof store picks ($80 for a 10 year age stated barrel proof rye? sign me up!).

Saying all that, if it's unlikely you'll see this one around again, and you can't find a pour at a local bar, you probably will not be disappointed. I do think the CEHT rye is a better pour than Sazerac, which I find sweet and kind of one dimensional, lacking the kick of spice that I expect and general complexity. But Saz is okay at $30 or so, I would mostly consider this a cocktail rye. From what I understand Sazerac uses a a low-ish rye mash, the same as Thomas H Handy and Sazerac 18 while CEHT Rye uses a high rye mash bill that isn't used in any other Buffalo Trace products.

The CEHT Small Batch is very good, easy to recommend picking up a bottle if you don't see it often. CEHT Single Barrel is equally as good, which is sort of a problem considering that its $20 more. I would generally pass on this, because Small Batch is just so good.

Edited by EarthQuake

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

I would have probably the opposite sentiment:  Spend $10 more and get something new that is not as always available as the Pikesville.  If you are into bourbon/rye for the long haul, an extra $10 every now and then is small fee to open new horizons.  BTW, I like the CEHT Rye for the reasons others have said.  It is more of a pure rye, without [to my taste] the dill that other high rye ryes may have.  

6 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I would have probably the opposite sentiment:  Spend $10 more and get something new that is not as always available as the Pikesville. 

Ok you convinced me to enter the lottery. I’m easy. :D

27 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I would go for it at that price, it is generally between $70 and $80 here and while I'm on my second bottle, i'm not in a rush to buy a back up. 

• I like it 2

Yes, I'll chime in to add that that's a great price on the Taylor rye.  It's different...in that I mean unique enough to be worth a bottle at any reasonable price.  I'll also add that I enjoy it.  The price being the only thing keeping me from making it a regular.

• I like it 1

I actually think the CEHT Rye might quietly be drifting down a bit in price now that Pikesville and soon KCSBR are very likely siphoning away a lot of their customers.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I actually think the CEHT Rye might quietly be drifting down a bit in price now that Pikesville and soon KCSBR are very likely siphoning away a lot of their customers.

Well that's the primary reason that I don't buy CEHT rye. I like it just fine but not for $80.

They were out there first with a very nice tasting 100 proof probably 6-7yrs aged product, so they had the head start pricing advantage. But now the other majors have caught up.

Even Turkey has put out RRSBR now. CEHT is going to have to compete or languish, as it's flavor advantage has eroded with the maturation of the competition's stocks.

• I like it 1

On 10/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, DCFan said:

For what it’s worth I think it’s a good rye and worth it. If you’re choosing one or the other though I prefer the Pikesville. I think that’s the best bourbon/rye you can find on the shelves in VA (not including Stagg JR and ECBP as they last less than a week when they’re released). 

Visited one of the smaller shops that I check out occasionally because of their pricing. I thought that I remembered them having CEHT Rye at an old low price, and sure enough, several dusties on the shelf for $58. I decided to bring one home and give it a try since I've put it off based on the price at other shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.