Old Grommes 12 year "very very rare" bourbon?

jcvessey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi -- fairly new here but was wondering if anyone knows anything about a bourbon I picked up from Japan, "Old Grommes Very Very Rare" 12 year old Kentucky SBW. From what I can gather it's from the late 80s or early 90s, but I can't find much information on who distilled it or much more about the story. I know there's a 16 year old Old Grommes that is related to AH Hirsch and that whole story, but I've heard different things about if the 12 year is Heaven Hill distillate, or Beam, or something else entirely. I'm happy to put up pics if that would help. 

For what it's worth, it's 750 ml, 101 proof, no DSP info or year markings on the label or bottle bottom. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

That's a link to my blog.

I did a lot of research about this bottle (in both English and Japanese) and this is the most that I could come up with. I'd really like to talk ask someone who worked at Consolidated Rectifying in the 1980s to confirm some of this information, but I haven't been able to. 

Thanks for the help! Your blog entry is far and away the clearest discussion of this that I've seen -- thanks for all your hard work tracking this information down!

5 hours ago, jcvessey said:

Thanks for the help! Your blog entry is far and away the clearest discussion of this that I've seen -- thanks for all your hard work tracking this information down!

Happy to help. 

On 12/8/2016 at 9:55 PM, jsrudd said:

I did a lot of research about this bottle (in both English and Japanese) and this is the most that I could come up with. I'd really like to talk ask someone who worked at Consolidated Rectifying in the 1980s to confirm some of this information, but I haven't been able to. 

Very cool!  You did a great job in this research and summarizing it!  I will visit your blog more often.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:55 PM, jsrudd said:

Thank you... that was a brilliant blog post! 

I like the Old Grommes label, I'm a big fan of the old school of label design.

Edited by Kalessin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.