Blanton's

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've overlooked Blantons for many years. The bottle for some reason came off as gimmicky and I usuallly look for higher proof then 93. Just picked up my first bottle. Wow, I've been missing out. The nose was caramel and vanilla and the taste the same. What a smooth bourbon.

Lot's of us have overlooked Blanton's.

For many, it's the premium "high end" bourbon they know about before they really get into bourbon at the geek level. They like it and respect it for what it is until they start to branch out and try everything on the whiskey tree. At that point, Blanton's becomes "boring and too smooth" and not worth the price. After a long while of drinking everything else, they eventually come back to it and discover that the smoothness is not a boring liability but a reflection of it's complexity and as Joe put it, it's elegance.

I enjoy Blanton's again and will always have some around.

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

For many, it's the premium "high end" bourbon they know about before they really get into bourbon at the geek level. They like it and respect it for what it is until they start to branch out and try everything on the whiskey tree. At that point, Blanton's becomes "boring and too smooth" and not worth the price. After a long while of drinking everything else, they eventually come back to it and discover that the smoothness is not a boring liability but a reflection of it's complexity and as Joe put it, it's elegance.

I think this is right on! In the midst of barrel proof, big flavor bombs, the nuances of Blanton's can be eaisly overlooked. Blanton's is quiet, reserved and full of beauty; but it must be contemplated and sought after rather than expecting it to give up its sublities too eaisly. 

For me, I have to be in the right place and time for a Blanton's to be really appreciated. 

I was in the LS yesterday looking at the bourbon section and a lady was looking for a gift. She was set on Jack Daniels 150th but was worried it "would be to hot" because it didn't have an age statement. She asked the girl working the counter for a recommendation. I chimed in that you can't go wrong with Blanton's.  She promptly gives me an evil look and points to the barrel dump date and tell me that bottle will burn like hell since it's only a few months old.  No wonder the bourbon market is so screwed up right now. 

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Great observation.  Too bad Blantons's is becoming scarce now that I have discovered it. 

45 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I was in the LS yesterday looking at the bourbon section and a lady was looking for a gift. She was set on Jack Daniels 150th but was worried it "would be to hot" because it didn't have an age statement. She asked the girl working the counter for a recommendation. I chimed in that you can't go wrong with Blanton's.  She promptly gives me an evil look and points to the barrel dump date and tell me that bottle will burn like hell since it's only a few months old.  No wonder the bourbon market is so screwed up right now. 

I don't think "burn like hell" has ever been a description for Blanton's. 

Blanton's is easily in my personal Top 5. It was the first "high-end" bourbon I ever had and, if my memory serves me correctly, it was the first single barrel bourbon in the market.

Now, I need to go buy a bottle for Christmas.

Tim

I must agree with Steve, as several others have done.    His experience mirrors mine as well.  

Blanton's is a 'contemplative', relaxing pour, that I don't tip over all that often; but always have on hand.    A very nice, easy drinker for those thoughtful Bourbonians who want to take a while and enjoy one of the best-made brands from The Buffalo.

Joe's description of it as; "an elegant Bourbon" is very apt.

Blanton's has always been one of my long-time favorites. I enjoy all of the BT mashbill #2 brands but Blanton's is my favorite. 

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Blanton's has always been one of my long-time favorites. I enjoy all of the BT mashbill #2 brands but Blanton's is my favorite. 

grrr, wrong thread.  moving reply.

Edited by dcbt

59 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It has been a while since I've had Blanton's, so I will preface my comment with the statement that I likely need to revisit it.  

To my taste, I discovered that I preferred the other mash #2 bourbons RHF and ETL over Blanton's.  That used to be a valuable preference too, since I could get ETL for $32 and RHF for <$50, yet Blanton's was a bit more.  Then ETL and RHF became tough to find but Blanton's was available, yet I had enough of the first two bottles so I didn't need any Blanton's.  Now Blanton's is even spotty around here and the price is $60 or more.

I guess I need to find those cute Blanton's 50mL bottles and have another taste, since one day my bunker of ETL and RHF will run out.  I guess I have a couple bottles of Hancock's, which I assume being mash #2 will also taste similar.

Jason

30 minutes ago, jp_stargazer said:

To my taste, I discovered that I preferred the other mash #2 bourbons RHF and ETL over Blanton's.  That used to be a valuable preference too, since I could get ETL for $32 and RHF for <$50, yet Blanton's was a bit more.  Then ETL and RHF became tough to find but Blanton's was available, yet I had enough of the first two bottles so I didn't need any Blanton's.  Now Blanton's is even spotty around here and the price is $60 or more.

Jason

True that.  It seems most mashbill #2 fans prefer ETL or RHF based on price and taste. As you say, ETL and RHF are very rare to find anymore.  I like all of them, but prefer Blanton's profile a little better. Oddly, I liked AAA10 year better than ETL and RHF. So the mashbill ages well. I do wish Blanton's was available at 100 proof like RHF.  This mashbill would be awesome at 10 years  and 100 proof for $50...:lol:

Blanton's is easily my most consumed single brand and I've spelled B L A N T O N S with the corks for myself and several others that I've given away as my personal testament - Quite simply it is a wonderful bourbon full of flavor and very "steady" from bottle to bottle.  

Even branched out into the European releases and find them very good as well

To me, Blanton's is like that old quilt your grandmother made. Maybe not the current latest and greatest, but the old stand-by that never dissappoints and always feels good.

Very recently had my first taste of Blanton's and promptly jumped at the chance to pick up a second bottle when my local store got some in. This is a smooth pour but,  to me at least, it makes up for it by being very complex. It's a pour I contemplate and mull over on special occasions. What a user on another site referred to as a "fireplace bourbon". 

Edited by BDanner

Just had a generous pour, inspired by this thread, . . .  Didn't disappoint!    Very nice stuff.    I followed it with a pour of ER 17, to compare.     The ER 17, while interesting is a bit too woody today.    The Blanton's wins out this afternoon/evening.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a wild goose chase finding bottles locally so I tried the online purchasing route for the first time. After trying many sites that didn't have stock or didn't ship to Minnesota, I finally found a store that had 5 in stock. Happily placed the order. Of course it was cancelled. The guy apologized and thought he had stock, but his distributor just told him he would only receive 3 bottles per release and the price was going up $25.

Just goes to show how palates differ. I respect Blanton's for how refined it is, but I find it to be somewhat bland. I can't get anything complex out of it at all unfortunately for me. I prefer ETL and my favorite of BT #2 is RHF. We have ready access to Blanton's and RHF for about $60 here in MD so I have them when I need them. I've also stocked up on ETL at $35-40 a bottle. I don't Have current plans to bunker Blanton's as I don't need to but will keep an eye on stocks since some of you guys seem to be having shortages. I have yet to try the Blanton's SFTB but have it on deck. 

On December 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM, mbroo5880i said:

True that.  It seems most mashbill #2 fans prefer ETL or RHF based on price and taste. As you say, ETL and RHF are very rare to find anymore.  I like all of them, but prefer Blanton's profile a little better. Oddly, I liked AAA10 year better than ETL and RHF. So the mashbill ages well. I do wish Blanton's was available at 100 proof like RHF.  This mashbill would be awesome at 10 years  and 100 proof for $50...:lol:

Funny that you mentioned the comparison to AAA10 as that's the first thing I thought of when reading this thread. I like them both and a while back did a SBS with them. Blanton's tasted much more refined and flavorful when compared directly with AAA10, to me anyway. Just goes to show the importance of barrel selection. Price, however, made AAA10 a much better deal but that's not even an option now. :angry:

It's funny how distribution works.  RHF is non existent around here, and last time I saw it they wanted $89.99.  I can get Blanton's all day for $50-55.  Doubt I'll ever start bunkering Blanton's, but I'll always have a bottle on hand.

On 12/15/2016 at 0:26 PM, mbroo5880i said:

So the mashbill ages well. I do wish Blanton's was available at 100 proof like RHF.

103 proof Blanton's Gold from Europe.  Ship it in 2 bottles at a time.

I no longer buy the 93p American version anymore...:wacko:

Yes, it is that much better (to me at least).

IMAG1723[1].jpg

IMAG1722[1].jpg

Blanton's is more common than Booker's where I'm from...could assemble 20 bottles in a day no sweat.

Forget other stuff like ETL, probably don't even have one in the whole country!

Safeway stores in Seattle have them in stock right now as they continue their 30% off spirits sale until early January.  

I had a neat shot of Blanton's last night, and found it nice, but not overwhelmingly good, lacking the smoothness I (think I) recall from older versions.  

Or, maybe my taste buds are getting more refined (or dull, LOL).

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

103 proof Blanton's Gold from Europe.  Ship it in 2 bottles at a time.

I no longer buy the 93p American version anymore...:wacko:

Yes, it is that much better (to me at least).

IMAG1723[1].jpg

IMAG1722[1].jpg

I agree whole heartedly that it's superior. I have my buddy who lives in London typically bring me a bottle of Gold as part of our gentlemen's agreement. I get him something limited or rare that he wouldn't be able to get across the pond and he brings me something that is not available in the states or marked up like crazy. I'd like to give the SFTB a try as well.

I had a barrel of hand selected US that was pretty tasty for my wedding that I've put into mini's that I save for special occasions, but I prefer the Gold.

IMG_0243.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Blanton's is my daily drinker. Here in CT. I can get it daily for $48.99- $54.99.

There are a couple stores that have it at $99.99 as one of them states that it comes in a box, so it has to be expensive lol...Those boxes have 3-4 inches of dust,  wonder why..??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.