Jump to content

Bulleit Rye vs Baby Saz


WatchUrSix
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, flahute said:

 

 

Also, I'm curious why a guy from Utah has the photo of a Seattle craft distillery rye as his avatar photo. Can you get it out there? (I live about 6-7 miles from the distillery).

 

I have family north of Seattle. So, when I go to visit, I stop in at Total Wine and More in Bellevue.

 

Regards, Jim 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flahute said:

I posted this interview somewhere else on the site a long time and can't remember where so I'll post it again here.

Master blender Don Livermore at Hiram Walker talks about the various distillation techniques used and how they can strip out the grain character if they want to. Very interesting stuff.

 

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2015/3/12/more-on-canadian-whisky-hiram-walker.html

 

Interesting article. I guess that explains why Canadian whiskey, seems to me, to have very little favor.

 

Regards,Jim  

Link to post
Share on other sites
I posted this interview somewhere else on the site a long time and can't remember where so I'll post it again here.
Master blender Don Livermore at Hiram Walker talks about the various distillation techniques used and how they can strip out the grain character if they want to. Very interesting stuff.
 
http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2015/3/12/more-on-canadian-whisky-hiram-walker.html



Good read. It seems he suggests that the distillation process is much more important, than the mashbill, which is intersting. I'm a noob, never would have guessed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, WatchUrSix said:

 

 


Good read. It seems he suggests that the distillation process is much more important, than the mashbill, which is intersting. I'm a noob, never would have guessed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Keep in mind that the Canadian method is different than bourbon distillation in America.

The Canadians are sometimes double and triple distilling which strips out flavor each time. 

That said, proper and high quality distillation is the most important first step. As Jim Rutledge likes to say, better to start out with a high quality distillate that you know is good than to settle for a poor to average distillate and then pray that magic happens during the aging process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, flahute said:

I posted this interview somewhere else on the site a long time and can't remember where so I'll post it again here.

Master blender Don Livermore at Hiram Walker talks about the various distillation techniques used and how they can strip out the grain character if they want to. Very interesting stuff.

 

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2015/3/12/more-on-canadian-whisky-hiram-walker.html

 

You can strip the flavor out of most any thing if you distill it to a high enough proof! Canadian "rye" doesn't have the same distillation proof limits that bourbon and American rye whiskey have. Double column distillation is likely just a gnat's ass short of being NGS/vodka.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WatchUrSix said:

 

 

 

 


Good read. It seems he suggests that the distillation process is much more important, than the mashbill, which is intersting. I'm a noob, never would have guessed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
 

 

 

 

Distillation is very important but not more important than the mash bill. Rye whiskey cannot be made from a 100% corn mash bill. And distillation can remove all flavor, (vodka) and modify flavor but it can't add flavor.

 

Regards, Jim   

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

 

I have family north of Seattle. So, when I go to visit, I stop in at Total Wine and More in Bellevue.

 

Regards, Jim 

If you haven't already, the next time you are in town you should look for their 5yr rye aged in full size barrels.

 

5 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

 

Distillation is very important but not more important than the mash bill. Rye whiskey cannot be made from a 100% corn mash bill. And distillation can remove all flavor, (vodka) and modify flavor but it can't add flavor.

 

Regards, Jim   

I will disagree with this, but say that we might be stressing different things. It doesn't matter what your mashbill is if the distillate is no good coming off the still. Getting that right is absolutely paramount and getting it right is not an automatic thing. The type of still matters as does the skill of the distiller.

Now assuming that good quality distillate is the starting point, then yes absolutely mashbill matters (and the yeast).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flahute said:

If you haven't already, the next time you are in town you should look for their 5yr rye aged in full size barrels.

 

I will disagree with this, but say that we might be stressing different things. It doesn't matter what your mashbill is if the distillate is no good coming off the still. Getting that right is absolutely paramount and getting it right is not an automatic thing. The type of still matters as does the skill of the distiller.

Now assuming that good quality distillate is the starting point, then yes absolutely mashbill matters (and the yeast).

 

Is that the one in the squared bottle? When I was in TWAM in April, they mentioned a new release coming, but the website didn't have anything new at that time. I now see the straight rye in the square bottle. Do you know if this one is 80% rye, 20% rye malt like the micro barreled one? 

 

I don't think we disagree about the importance of distillation. I just assume distillation is the easiest part of the overall process. Probably from my many years of experience with refinery distillation processes.

 

Regards, Jim    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawkeye62 said:

 

Is that the one in the squared bottle? When I was in TWAM in April, they mentioned a new release coming, but the website didn't have anything new at that time. I now see the straight rye in the square bottle. Do you know if this one is 80% rye, 20% rye malt like the micro barreled one? 

 

I don't think we disagree about the importance of distillation. I just assume distillation is the easiest part of the overall process. Probably from my many years of experience with refinery distillation processes.

 

Regards, Jim    

Yes, it's the one in the squared bottle. It was released in the fall and it's 100% rye.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yes, it's the one in the squared bottle. It was released in the fall and it's 100% rye.

 

 

Great! Do you know if it is available in local liquor stores or only from the Woodinville Distillery? TWAM doesn't appear to have it in stock.

 

Regards, Jim 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawkeye62 said:

 

Great! Do you know if it is available in local liquor stores or only from the Woodinville Distillery? TWAM doesn't appear to have it in stock.

 

Regards, Jim 

It's in stores but they always have a hard time keeping up with demand and the holidays probably made it worse. It's available at the distillery I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, flahute said:

It's in stores but they always have a hard time keeping up with demand and the holidays probably made it worse. It's available at the distillery I believe.

 

OK, thanks for the insight. I will probably be visiting relatives in April. I will definitely plan on lining up a source prior to my visit.

 

Regards, Jim 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.