Interesting selection

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not too many stores around here carry any high end bourbon.  I went it to this one store and they had Forged Oak or $85, Barterhouse 20 for $95, Rhetoric for $125 and one I never heard of, Gifted Horse for $65.

Any of these worth trying at those prices.

46 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Not too many stores around here carry any high end bourbon.  I went it to this one store and they had Forged Oak or $85, Barterhouse 20 for $95, Rhetoric for $125 and one I never heard of, Gifted Horse for $65.

Any of these worth trying at those prices.

I'd pass on all these for the prices asked.    Might be time to explore a bit further afield, if these are the only 'high-end' Bourbons available where you currently shop.   I would assume you're not satisfied with OF Sig, BT, ER, EWSB, 4-R SiB, Booker's (get it while you can!), HMcK 10-yr. BIB, EC, KC, or KC SB, or any of the 'premium' Bourbons that should be readily available, and at significantly lower prices than the ones you mention.    All are very nice offerings, and faves of many folx.

I did like the Barterhouse, and I think that's a reasonable price for a bourbon of that age and quality.  The Gifted Horse was a real surprise for me.  I went in with no, to less than positive expectations, and was surprisingly pleased with it.  

I don't know what your experience with old whiskies in that 20 year range, but you'll get a good representation of that segment with any of the first 3, at which appear to be decent competitive price points.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'd pass on all these for the prices asked.    Might be time to explore a bit further afield, if these are the only 'high-end' Bourbons available where you currently shop.   I would assume you're not satisfied with OF Sig, BT, ER, EWSB, 4-R SiB, Booker's (get it while you can!), HMcK 10-yr. BIB, EC, KC, or KC SB, or any of the 'premium' Bourbons that should be readily available, and at significantly lower prices than the ones you mention.    All are very nice offerings, and faves of many folx.

I am very satisfied with Buffalo Trace, Henry McKenna BIB, Elijah Craig and Wild Turkey 101.  These are my main pours due to a reasonable price.  I have a few bottles of Bookers (and will try to put away more).  Even a few Elijah Craig barrel proof are that I was able to get for $60.   I also have developed a taste for Smooth Ambler. 

I guess it's always the ones you haven't tasted.  But before I spend hard earned $$ it is always wise to ask.

Edited by BourbonGuy

59 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

I am very satisfied with Buffalo Trace, Henry McKenna BIB, Elijah Craig and Wild Turkey 101.  These are my main pours due to a reasonable price.  I have a few bottles of Bookers (and will try to put away more).  Even a few Elijah Craig barrel proof are that I was able to get for $60.   I also have developed a taste for Smooth Ambler. 

I guess it's always the ones you haven't tasted.  But before I spend hard earned $$ it is always wise to ask.

A lesson many have learned (but don't necessarily always adhere to) is that the perceived difference in flavor and/or aroma isn't always that great between a $30-$50 Bourbon and one that may cost double or more.   The fact is Bourbon is a great whiskey at 4-years old, and often quite reasonably priced at ages up through 10-years and more.    For many years it has been thus.    This is changing as you know.    But, the difference(s) are likely decreasing, rather than increasing.    This is due largely to supply pressures on every distillery that has been selling Bourbon for more than a couple decades. 

Of course it can be difficult to put a value on the experience of owning and sharing some rare and expensive brand.    So each must decide where the limit is, and for which brands at what prices.

Merry Christmas Richnimrod:

Very well said.  And you said something I guess I knew deep down, but wanted to ignore.  I guess I'm looking for the next Stitzel Weller Pappy 15 or Jefferson's Presidential 17/18.  However for the reasons you mentioned, I am unlikely to find it.

That's not a bad price for Rhetoric 22. That's my favorite of the group. But I didn't buy the Rhetoric until I'd tried it at a bar first.

On 12/24/2016 at 4:22 PM, BourbonGuy said:

Merry Christmas Richnimrod:

Very well said.  And you said something I guess I knew deep down, but wanted to ignore.  I guess I'm looking for the next Stitzel Weller Pappy 15 or Jefferson's Presidential 17/18.  However for the reasons you mentioned, I am unlikely to find it.

The orphan barrel releases are not the next SW.

The orphan barrel prices where you are located are pretty close to prices by me, when they are available. I read a lot about the marketing behind the orphan barrel but I still decided to go with a Barterhouse and liked it so much I bought another. I want to try gifted horse and if I could find one around me for 50 bucks I would, or if it even was a few bucks higher like yours I would splurge and try it. I don't have unlimited money but I'm in this new bourbon ( about a year)  for fun and for me if I buy one I truly don't like, that bottle is gone! As in I pay it forward. I give it to someone else that has different tastes and may like it or might not be able to buy it for whatever reason. So like the guys above said, the orphan barrel releases are not the next SW, if you can try one for what it is on its own merits and not something your hoping it to be. My two cents

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.