Anyone Else Keep "Archive Samples"?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

By now I have stored several dozen in 4-Booker's boxes (and possibly could fill another whenever I get around to sorting and storing the rest); but I wish the sample bottles were just a bit shorter so the plastic sliding lids of the boxes would cover 'em up snug.... Keep the dust off 'em, eh.

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

By now I have stored several dozen in 4-Booker's boxes (and possibly could fill another whenever I get around to sorting and storing the rest); but I wish the sample bottles were just a bit shorter so the plastic sliding lids of the boxes would cover 'em up snug.... Keep the dust off 'em, eh.

Hey Rich, I suppose if one were ambitious enough he could remove the back and put in some strips around the edges to desired depth, you would have to predrill holes in the spacers so they wouldn't split when putting the back on again.

8 hours ago, dSculptor said:

Hey Rich, I suppose if one were ambitious enough he could remove the back and put in some strips around the edges to desired depth, you would have to predrill holes in the spacers so they wouldn't split when putting the back on again.

That would probably be a workable idea; however, my ambition would wane long before accomplishing such finicky fitting. 

Hell, my ambition has already waned, just thinking about it!    :lol:Haaaa-Hah.

In truth, if I had more ambition, my scattered sample bottles (those not yet in Booker's Boxes) would be placed appropriately into one (or more?) of the several empty Booker's Boxes I have out in the garage.

I keep at 1-2oz of every non-shelf bottle I open, including retailer selected single barrels.

5 hours ago, clingman71 said:

I keep at 1-2oz of every non-shelf bottle I open, including retailer selected single barrels.

Jeeeeez!    If I did so, I'd be swimming (or at least floating leisurely) in waaaaay over a hundred sample bottles (over and above the hundred or so I already do have), I think.   :o

Not saying that would be a bad thing; just a storage and access issue.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Richnimrod said:

Jeeeeez!    If I did so, I'd be swimming (or at least floating leisurely) in waaaaay over a hundred sample bottles (over and above the hundred or so I already do have), I think.   :o

Not saying that would be a bad thing; just a storage and access issue.

Oh, its a sore subject with the wife! I probably have 150ish 1 and 2 oz bottles.

4 hours ago, clingman71 said:

Oh, its a sore subject with the wife! I probably have 150ish 1 and 2 oz bottles.

Yeah, I know!    Wives (or at least in my limited experience with the one and only wife I've ever had) just don't seem to get our obsession .....oooooops, did I say that out loud?... I meant interest ... in Bourbon.    Ah well; their loss, I say.

I don't have quite 150 of 'em; but, after the previous posts in this thread I decided to count 'em.    I have over 125.      If I were to do justice to the theory of keeping archive samples of all the ones I've found unique, or special, or extraordinary, or whatever; I'd definitely have at least 100-more.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, Richnimrod said:

Yeah, I know!    Wives (or at least in my limited experience with the one and only wife I've ever had) just don't seem to get our obsession .....oooooops, did I say that out loud?... I meant interest ... in Bourbon.    Ah well; their loss, I say.

I don't have quite 150 of 'em; but, after the previous posts in this thread I decided to count 'em.    I have over 125.      If I were to do justice to the theory of keeping archive samples of all the ones I've found unique, or special, or extraordinary, or whatever; I'd definitely have at least 100-more.

I'm actually very lucky with my wife and bourbon. She enjoys whiskey as much as I do and probably has a better palate. It's the number of visible open bottles and cellared bottles that gets her going. I've learned to keep a few stash locations out of her view along with the stash of cigars!

4 hours ago, clingman71 said:

I'm actually very lucky with my wife and bourbon. She enjoys whiskey as much as I do and probably has a better palate. It's the number of visible open bottles and cellared bottles that gets her going. I've learned to keep a few stash locations out of her view along with the stash of cigars!

Ahhhh, you are wise, young Skywalker.    The Force is strong in you.   :D    I'm talking about the force of self-preservation, of course.   ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also have been doing this for a number of years already. I ended up drinking some when I had to moved but still have some of the special ones.

Previously also keep some extra so it is easy to share with friends.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.