Flasks??

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All--

I looked back through at least 5 or 6 pages of topics, and I didn't see anything that explicitly covered flasks. So I thought I'd start a new thread to ask my question.

Anybody have any good recommendations on flasks? I'm looking for something relatively small (4-6 oz), stainless, not glass. My preference would be for something with a traditional shape. I've seen the ones from Stanley, and they look like they should be holding lighter fluid and not booze.

I've also read comments in various places  about cheap import flasks with bad welds that does funky stuff to your booze in short order. Anybody know of any US-made flasks (and not just the leather case, like the way that place in ?Detroit? advertises a little sketchy). What about reliable, high-quality imports? Are there any flasks that are glass- or plastic-lined?

This was going to be a christmas present to myself, to be given to myself before going home for the holidays. ("No thanks, Dad, I'll just stick with water or lemonade"...a manhattan made with Candian Club or Seagram's 7 just doesn't do it for me). But then I didn't to my research, and ended up having a "dry" visit.

Anyway...I digress. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Is there some reason not to use a small glass bottle?

In my opinion, that is best.  You could just but a pint or half pint of something you like.  Then refill as needed.  I like to recycle some of the real maple syrup bottles; makes a great flask.  They look like antique flasks from the 19th century too.

Edited by PaulO

This is probably really dumb, but is there a reason you can't just bring a bottle of bourbon to your dad's or wherever this dilemma presented itself?

24 minutes ago, dcbt said:

This is probably really dumb, but is there a reason you can't just bring a bottle of bourbon to your dad's or wherever this dilemma presented itself?

Purely one of practicality. Didn't seem worth trying to find room to pack a whole bottle in the suitcase for just a couple of drinks (same reason I didn't buy anything while I was there).

As for @PaulO's comment: A metal flask would be lighter.

Glass may break if dropped, and maybe a bit heavier than thin metal.

More important to me; glass doesn't interact or change the taste of contents.

You can easily clean glass, or see fill level.

Maybe a couple 50ml bottles would work good too? 

I'd avoid metal.  I think it changes the flavor.  I'd go with plastic.  I've seen some decent looking ones in a leather holder. 

• 2 months later...

Personally I would go with reused glass, but my personal favorite is a ceramic flask or maybe an unglazed clay for its natural cooling of the liquid. Which should get around to 60 or so *F. If anybody knows where I can get ceramic for a reasonable price, I would be very happy.

On 1/8/2017 at 9:33 PM, dcbt said:

You can't leave the bottle there for next time you visit?

I agree? I currently have two bottles at the in-laws and my mother has a bottle of OWA that is pretty much just mine

I've had good luck with a stainless 6 oz flask that came packaged with a bottle of Four Roses. I don't use it often, but I've taken it hiking a few times. It's nice to not have to worry about it getting broken in the outdoors and as far as I can tell it doesn't affect the flavor.

^^^Yes, those are pretty nice, and I've also had good luck with stainless. 

If it's good enough for Pappy.............it's good enough for me. 

• 2 months later...

I pick up a small (3oz) Zippo Stainless flask at a rock festival. It's pretty nice, just a tad small on certain occasions. But it does fit in the pocket nice and light enough I forget it's there at times.

1st post, long time looking at forum

"Gsi" flasks on amazon

I have the 10oz, plastic

10 Oz should be "enough"

Won't break or impact flavor

Mouth is big enough to pour bottle in w no funnel

Seals tight and cap doubles as "shot glass"

1st post, long time looking at forum

"Gsi" flasks on amazon
I have the 10oz, plastic
10 Oz should be "enough"
Won't break or impact flavor
Mouth is big enough to pour bottle in w no funnel
Seals tight and cap doubles as "shot glass"

Sounds like the ones I picked up at Liquor Barn. If so they are the best flask I've ever used. And only $4.95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.