Evan Williams single barrel

Clay Cline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a couple of these. Cracked 1 open tonight with a nice la palina family series robusto. Wow I really like this bourbon. Seams pretty cheap for what you get!

one of my absolute favorites.  I crushed one of the newer 2009 dated bottle that was only 7.5ish years old. 

sometimes I'll go to ABC to see if they got anything good, and I'll just grab one of these if i can't find anything...just to keep up appearances LOL

Edited by bourbs bro

Very good bourbon. I've got a couple of '04s that I still haven't opened and an '08 that is fantastic. Like you said for the money it's one heck of a bourbon. 

8 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

one of my absolute favorites.  I crushed one of the newer 2009 dated bottle that was only 7.5ish years old. 

sometimes I'll go to ABC to see if they got anything good, and I'll just grab one of these if i can't find anything...just to keep up appearances LOL

Good to hear the 2009's are good, that's all I can find in my area. I'll have to go get one or two.

I stopped buying these when Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel became available in my area. A full 10 year age statement. Same mash bill at around the same price. It is still a solid bourbon, though.

17 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I stopped buying these when Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel became available in my area. A full 10 year age statement. Same mash bill at around the same price. It is still a solid bourbon, though.

I keep hoping to find McKenna when I'm scouring the stores. Sounds like a winner for sure.

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

haha, I was able to pickup my first HMBIB 10yr today after looking for so long.  Very excited to crack it open since I think it will fall right in my HH wheelhouse.  will report back :) 

I had to buy 2 more bottles today!  Never seen the McKenna 10 year. Just the regular McKenna. How is it?

I'm looking to stock up on the HM10BIB next month when it goes back on sale here in NC I think it will be $25 which is only $5 off but I've scoped out a few stores already - buy one then taste and if I like that barrel go back in and stock up

Anyone know if HM10BIB is available in middle Georgia? I have relatives there and may ask them to bring some next time they visit.

3 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

haha, I was able to pickup my first HMBIB 10yr today after looking for so long.  Very excited to crack it open since I think it will fall right in my HH wheelhouse.  will report back :) 

ok, so just first impression, but I don't think I like HM better than EWSiB, it's not bad at all, and they do have similarities but just off of memory I'd give EWSiB the edge right now.

Now I'll definitely circle back around and probably taste them side by side etc and it's definitely not conclusive.  

I have this "as long as this is easily available in the $20-30 price range, I'll be fine" sort of benchmark.  right now that is EWSiB and Eagle Rare (and was EC 12yr which I've been bunkering since the NAS business, I hope the NAS version is just as tasty, but haven't actually tried it yet).  My first impression is HM10 is good, but right now i'm not sure if I'd grab it over EWSiB.  

Everytime i try a bourbon that's a little difficult to track down, it gives me a little bit of anxiety cause I think, crap, what if I love this and I'm not able to get more...so far not feeling that on first sitting with HM10

My first taste of HMcK 10 bib was less than impressive... I picked up a bottle from a different barrel and I'm hoping for a better experience. A lot of posts on here warn that it is one of the more varied single barrels out there. Best practice is to try before buying multiple bottles.

Edited by JTaylor

14 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

My first taste of HMcK 10 bib was less than impressive... I picked up a bottle from a different barrel and I'm hoping for a better experience. A lot of posts on here warn that it is one of the more varied single barrels out there. Best practice is to try before buying multiple bottles.

Great advice the variance in barrels can be dramatic that's why I always try a pour from the bottle I bought before buying multiples - usually in the parking lot... :) 

14 hours ago, Hop said:

Great advice the variance in barrels can be dramatic that's why I always try a pour from the bottle I bought before buying multiples - usually in the parking lot... :) 

My latest bottle of HMcK10 is the first one I've had that had a noticeably different profile. Eggnog with nutmeg on nose and palate. The musty oak finish that I usually get from it is toned waaaaay down. I enjoy the sweetness of this barrel, but man I miss that finish. 

Purchased 2 recently.  I really do enjoy them - never seem to have a problem finishing off an open bottle.  The 2005 was 9+ years old and the 2009 was 7+ years old.  Hard to tell in the pic, but the color is much richer in the 05.  Got the 09 since it was bottled on my son's 18th bday.

IMG_1064.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.