Sign in to follow this  

Rittenhouse Rye Label / Age Question

I have seen a few bottles of the Rittenhouse stranded on a few shelves today that have this slightly older label.  I saw that it was Diistilled at DSP KY 1, and Bottled at DSP KY 31... So I understand this is not the rye made post-fire at DSP KY 354.  But I wonder if anyone who is a regular drinker of Rittenhouse would hazard an opinion on whether the juice in these slightly older bottles is different from the ones we see regularly on the shelves today.  Thanks for any info or opinions!

rittenhouse .jpg

amg

I haven't detected any noticeable shift since they changed the label. That bottle's only maybe 3 or 4 years old after all.

Three quarks
9 hours ago, Steve L said:

have seen a few bottles of the Rittenhouse stranded on a few shelves today that have this slightly older label.  I saw that it was Diistilled at DSP KY 1, and Bottled at DSP KY 31... So I understand this is not the rye made post-fire at DSP KY 354.  But I wonder if anyone who is a regular drinker of Rittenhouse would hazard an opinion on whether the juice in these slightly older bottles is different from the ones we see regularly on the shelves today.  Thanks for any info or opinions!

Per MT website, DSP KY 1 is the new Heaven Hill Bernheim distillery in Louisville. DSY KY 31 is Heaven Hill Bardstown. 

Although some posts have suggested DSP KY 31 was inactive, HH has apparently rebuilt in Bardstown and a forum post by Chuck Cowdery in 2010 suggests that the DSP KY 31 is active and the permit is for "production of distilled spirits products, not just distilling. They need it for the warehouses and the bottling that is done there in Bardstown."

This "Whisky" may be from just after the switch from DSP KY 354 to DSP KY 1, and some have suggested it has improved since then. I can't comment on that. All I have is the 354.

Edited by Three quarks

Old Dusty

I have had both the old label and new label DSP-1. I can't tell a difference. Same distillery and same mashbill. There may be very slight variations year to year but it's a large batched product so those differences should be minimal. Ritt at $20 or less is a workhorse for cocktails. One of my favorites. But the difference for me is that I don't like the DSP-1 neat like I did the DSP-354. 

Thanks to all for the replies -- most appreciated.  Will let the "not that old" bottles remain where they are, and keep my eyes open for the 354.  Not expecting to find any, but you never know...

s.l.

PaulO

If you check out the rye section of this site, there was a thread on all this.  This is just my impression, but the DSP 1 Ritt BIB seemed a bit better after they went to the new label.

You may find some DSP 354.  It's good; has a bit of that Old Forester house style.

Really, old or new label - they're all pretty good. 

mbroo5880i
3 hours ago, PaulO said:

If you check out the rye section of this site, there was a thread on all this.  This is just my impression, but the DSP 1 Ritt BIB seemed a bit better after they went to the new label.

You may find some DSP 354.  It's good; has a bit of that Old Forester house style.

Really, old or new label - they're all pretty good. 

I am with Paul and Eric on this one.  Both are good and I couldn't tell the difference.  

KyleCBreese
5 hours ago, Steve L said:

Thanks to all for the replies -- most appreciated.  Will let the "not that old" bottles remain where they are, and keep my eyes open for the 354.  Not expecting to find any, but you never know...

s.l.

I found a bottle of the 354 a few weeks ago. They're out there.