Best (Accessible) Gift Bourbon ~$500?

monroe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, monroe said:

Wow, thanks so much for all of this help.  I'm a wine drinker and am obviously clueless when it comes to bourbon.  Glad to have found this forum today.  Yes, bourbon is a must for him.  I know that he does not care for the "rye" bourbons/whiskeys, if that makes sense.  Question: Does "cask strength" mean that it is stronger/higher alcohol content than the bourbons I mentioned above that he normally drinks?  

Am sure that these prices are super inflated, but after reading all of your helpful responses, I'm thinking about one of these (may try to shop around for better price):

https://www.rarewhiskyshop.com/collections/bourbon-1/products/angels-envy-cask-strength-2015-750ml

https://www.rarewhiskyshop.com/collections/bourbon-1/products/angels-envy-cask-strength-2016-750ml

https://www.rarewhiskyshop.com/collections/bourbon-1/products/elijah-craig-18-year-old-bourbon-750ml

https://www.rarewhiskyshop.com/collections/bourbon-1/products/old-rip-van-winkle-10-year-750ml

Still investigating the Blanton's, too, as I do love the idea of getting him something that isn't available here.  I looked on Master of Malt's site and it appeared to be sold out, but will double check.

Please feel free to continue to weigh in.  Just want to get him the most special gift that I can, but tough given my very limited knowledge on this subject!  Thanks again, cheers!

First off its very cool that you are doing this. Second to answer your question, yes "cask strength" is exactly what it says, it is as poured from the barrel (cask) uncut with water to a particular proof i.e. 90 proof, 100proof...

Typical cask strength bottles range from the low 100's to 140ish. Don't let that put you off as water can be added to drop the proof (or not :) ) and these higher proofs bring a lot of flavor to the table as well, a very nice way to go when purchasing special bourbons, or any bourbon for that matter.   

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Buy a Binny's store selection of any of the 10 Four Roses recipes, Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel, or whatever else they've got a store select of.

The 4Rs should cost about 70, so you could get him 7 of the recipes for 490, if they're available. That'd be awesome, and take him until his next birthday to get through.

I agree with this.

4 hours ago, Mosser said:

Warehouse Liquors in the South Loop just got in 5 different recipes of Four Roses Private selection (OBSV, OBSQ, OESV, OESK, OESO). They also have Eagle Rare, Blantons, and Old Scout store picks in. While I know its not the wow factor of one bottle, 2-3 FRPS, a Blanton's and Eagle Rare store pick would be one great gift and run you around $400

or this

I personally would more appreciate a number of bottles that I might not already have to broaden the experience.  For example:*

Barrel Bourbon - $80

Jefferson's Ocean Aged - $80

Four Roses Single Barrel - $40

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - $60

Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch - $40

Knob Creek Single Barrel - $40

Woodford Reserve Masters Collection - $100

That equals $440.  A basket with some bourbon balls and some high end chocolate to pair with the bourbons and you would have one very happy husband.

* These are some that I like.  You could mix and match to meet his likes.

Monroe, the site you linked to has prices way too high. :o The retail price on the Old Rip should be well under $100.  Something similar you might find is Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel maybe $50-$60.

Joe's advice is good.  Talk to some local stores.

For the internet prices: you all could take a vaction in KY, go on some tours, check out the gift shops. :lol:

Please don't purchase from that website.  Those bottles are massively overpriced and not worth what's being charged.  They're preying on folks who don't know any better or have enough money to not care.  

I agree with the advice to go to Binny's or another local shop and spread the $500 over a few bottles.  

I also really like the idea of a trip to Delilah's and spending the money on some phenomenal pours.  I was in Las Vegas with my wife and she insisted I go pay for some pours I would otherwise never get to drink.  I blanched at the prices but soldiered on.  It was worth it.  It helps that she won back my bar tab within five minutes of us leaving the bar but even if she hadn't I'm still happy she made me buy the drinks.  

I was in Las Vegas with my wife and she insisted I go pay for some pours I would otherwise never get to drink.  I blanched at the prices but soldiered on.  It was worth it.  It helps that she won back my bar tab within five minutes of us leaving the bar but even if she hadn't I'm still happy she made me buy the drinks.  
I am curious. What pours did you get in Vegas?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You mentioned that you bought him Rhetoric last year and he really enjoyed it.  I'm assuming that you bought either the 20 or the 21 year old bottle. The company that makes Rhetoric has let the bourbon continue to age in the barrel and has come out with Rhetoric 22 year old Bourbon.  He may like being able to have a Rhetoric "collection". Speaking of cask strength or barrel proof I think it's a possibility that he won't enjoy drinking the higher proof cask strength bottles that are being mentioned. I don't know how serious your husband is with his bourbon but almost all of the non-serious bourbon drinkers I give tastes of cask strength and Barrel proof bourbon really dislike the burn that goes with it. For the money you are talking about I think it's fine to splurge and pay up for something with "Van Winkle" on it. It's something that has immediate name recognition and will be something he will love to show off. 

monroe,

Please let us know what you decided to do and if he liked it.  Good luck and happy birthday to your husband.

19 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I am curious. What pours did you get in Vegas?

Ritt 25, PHC 4, and Ardbeg Alligator.

Ritt 25, PHC 4, and Ardbeg Alligator.

I bet that Rittenhouse pour was pricey. How did it taste?

Elite rye, bourbon, and scotch. What was your favorite?

25 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I bet that Rittenhouse pour was pricey. How did it taste?

Elite rye, bourbon, and scotch. What was your favorite?

The Ritt was my favorite of the three and is a top three ever for me. It was well worth the cost (somewhere between %70 and $90?). I could have sat and nosed it all night.  Nothing was out of balance.  Spicy and sweet and not over oaked.  It makes me kind of sad because there's none left.  Sure, you could spend a stupid amount of money for a bottle but it's gone and I'm not sure anything like it will show up in 20 years.

Hi all, thanks again for your help.  I visited and called many places around here (Chicago burbs).  I knew bourbon was a hot topic lately, but wow!  Found some great small shops to re-visit, also shopped at 4 Binny's locations.  A manager at one of the Binny's I visited said I needed to be a VIP shopper and have a friendly relationship with the manager to get my hands on anything Rip Van Winkle (even the Old RVW).  Same response when I asked about some of the others that were posted on this thread!  Soooo, I ended up getting him the Angel's Envy Cask Strength.  Am worried it'll be a bit too strong, but he's very curious about it and is excited to try it this weekend.  I also got him a Del Maguay mezcal that has been aged in ORVW barrels and he was excited about that, too.  Used the rest of the budget on some wine and other gifts and he think he was a happy camper.  Thanks again for your help - and for discouraging me from ordering via that over-priced web site!  I'll have him read through this thread as I'm sure he'll find it informative as well. :) 

34 minutes ago, monroe said:

Hi all, thanks again for your help.  I visited and called many places around here (Chicago burbs).  I knew bourbon was a hot topic lately, but wow!  Found some great small shops to re-visit, also shopped at 4 Binny's locations.  A manager at one of the Binny's I visited said I needed to be a VIP shopper and have a friendly relationship with the manager to get my hands on anything Rip Van Winkle (even the Old RVW).  Same response when I asked about some of the others that were posted on this thread!  Soooo, I ended up getting him the Angel's Envy Cask Strength.  Am worried it'll be a bit too strong, but he's very curious about it and is excited to try it this weekend.  I also got him a Del Maguay mezcal that has been aged in ORVW barrels and he was excited about that, too.  Used the rest of the budget on some wine and other gifts and he think he was a happy camper.  Thanks again for your help - and for discouraging me from ordering via that over-priced web site!  I'll have him read through this thread as I'm sure he'll find it informative as well. :) 

Very cool, congrats to him!

Monroe,

I think you did very well.  Hope you enjoyed the experience and I your husband likes the Angel's Envy.  Remember, he can always add water to bring down the proof but he should do it a few drops at a time so he doesn't water it down past where he likes it.  Good luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.