What Happened to the "Old's"?

musekatcher
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All three are still listed at the Beam Suntory website - Old Grand-Dad, Old Overholt and Old Crow.  But only two "Old's" at  the Beam Global website:  https://www.theoldswhiskeys.com/         Old Grand-Dad and Old Overholt.  Is this new?  Could have sworn all three were on the "Old's" website at one time?  Not that big a deal, but given the other statements and retractions, I'm interested in changes in marketing strategies and branding, and wondered if they are trying to distance themselves from Old Crow or something, before its retired or sold? 

You are not mistaken. They listed Old Crow as a member of the "Olds" at one time. I haven't visited the site since the beginning of the OGD114 rumors. I don't recall if it was listed then. All I was doing was looking for a "Contact Us" link. In fact if you just do a google search for "The Olds" you get: "The Olds Whiskeys-Old Crow, Old Grand-Dad and Old Overholt"

Edited by BDanner

Old Crow gone away?  If Beam's not careful, this could backfire on them and create a lot of goodwill in the enthusiast community...  

I wish they would sell Old Crow to another distillery. Old Crow used to be drank by elites and they have relegated it to the bottom shelf. I can say without doubt that I think the current incarnation of Old Crow tastes better than Jim Beam white label.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Old Crow gone away?  If Beam's not careful, this could backfire on them and create a lot of goodwill in the enthusiast community...  

:lol::lol::lol:

It is a shame that something with the linage of Old Crow got turned into bottle shelf swill. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I wish they would sell Old Crow to another distillery. Old Crow used to be drank by elites and they have relegated it to the bottom shelf. I can say without doubt that I think the current incarnation of Old Crow tastes better than Jim Beam white label.

I can't stand to not finish a bottle, and I'm thinking Old Crow might challenge my routine...but I need to give it a try at least. 

Edited by musekatcher

The guys over at Glenn's Creek (the actual 'old' Old Crow Distillery) would love for Beam to 'give up' this brand!  They're currently trying to replicate the old yeast strain by using some residue found at the distillery.  Hopefully, with some luck, they will have something similar to the 'old' Old Crow some day (they just won't get to use the name due to present ownership). 

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

The guys over at Glenn's Creek (the actual 'old' Old Crow Distillery) would love for Beam to 'give up' this brand!  They're currently trying to replicate the old yeast strain by using some residue found at the distillery.  Hopefully, with some luck, they will have something similar to the 'old' Old Crow some day (they just won't get to use the name due to present ownership). 

I don't need another reason to be mad at Suntory Beam but you just gave me one.

32 minutes ago, Paddy said:

That's the kind of thing that builds interest, re-establishes a brand, and creates loyalty, especially for those of us who must reclaim everything in defiance of a throw-away world.  I'd go $25 for a fifth of re-activated Old Crow, in a 90 proof?  How could I not share in the preference of greats like Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, Henry Clay, and others?

4 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

That's the kind of thing that builds interest, re-establishes a brand, and creates loyalty, especially for those of us who must reclaim everything in defiance of a throw-away world.  I'd go $25 for a fifth of re-activated Old Crow, in a 90 proof?  How could I not share in the preference of greats like Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, Henry Clay, and others?

Wow!!  A whole $25 for a re-birthed, epic bourbon loved by many of our country's legends?!?!  Your interest, loyalty, and defiance comes cheap!  :lol::lol:

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Wow!!  A whole $25 for a re-birthed, epic bourbon loved by many of our country's legends?!?!  Your interest, loyalty, and defiance comes cheap!  :lol::lol:

Just starting the bidding....

42 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

Just starting the bidding....

Heehee!  Touché!

I would join you in paying $25 for reactivated Old Crow.

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

I'd bring it back just to see this label again...

old crow three.jpg

If you get to The Beam Distillery, they have some OC stuff in the gift shop, including the tin sign below

Also, I'll get a wild hair one day and open this Distilled 1956 Old Crow BIB that I picked up in a store in South Carolina a couple of years ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• I like it 1

If you're waiting for a special day to open that dusty Old Crow, I always say any day I wake up is a special day...Just sayin' :D

If you get to The Beam Distillery, they have some OC stuff in the gift shop, including the tin sign below

Also, I'll get a wild hair one day and open this Distilled 1956 Old Crow BIB that I picked up in a store in South Carolina a couple of years ago.
image.thumb.jpg.d0c536c8cda29c1ab7ee47e8703c25e6.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.067c950dce62e5258614b4c0fcb94214.jpg

That 56 bottle is gorgeous.

I know the world doesn't work this way but...

Suntory Beam should give up the rights to Old Crow and turn the name over to the folks at Glenn's Creek. The lineage of that bourbon shouldn't be relegated to bottom shelf mixing whiskey. The gesture would gain Suntory Beam some good press and some positive feelings from we bourbonites in a time when they could use a little. And hopefully the result would be the rebirth of a revered brand and hopefully a resurrected recipe that hasn't been on the shelf for decades.

I'm upping the bid for a fifth to $40 because I just plain want it to happen!

image.thumb.jpg.d0c536c8cda29c1ab7ee47e8703c25e6.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.067c950dce62e5258614b4c0fcb94214.jpg

Uh...could you call me over when that day comes? Old buddy old pal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

I know the world doesn't work this way but...

Suntory Beam should give up the rights to Old Crow and turn the name over to the folks at Glenn's Creek. The lineage of that bourbon shouldn't be relegated to bottom shelf mixing whiskey. The gesture would gain Suntory Beam some good press and some positive feelings from we bourbonites in a time when they could use a little. And hopefully the result would be the rebirth of a revered brand and hopefully a resurrected recipe that hasn't been on the shelf for decades.

I'm upping the bid for a fifth to $40 because I just plain want it to happen!

Considering Old Ripy is selling for $50 per 375ml I'll up the bid to $50 for a full bottle of the near original recipe. 

If it's any solace, the boy's over at Glenn's Creek did name their still 'Dr. Crowe' (they can get away with that, and I think it's pretty damn appropriate)!:D 

On 2/20/2017 at 4:01 PM, Paddy said:

From what I remember as a home brewer; yeasts and some other micro organisms can remain dormant and viable for a long time.  Good luck to those folks.  Then they have to replicate everything else - or at least more so than Beam. Ha

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.