Old Grand Dad and Other Dusty's Help!

Cundiff5535
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What up kid-0's!  If there is one this I am not very well schooled in, its old school bottles.  I have looked at the Whiskey ID website and that has helped but... I need more:)  Can anyone point me in the right direction of finding when distilleries closed, bottle identification, what are bottles that are carrying solid juice vs mass produced blah.  Any type of info would be great!

I am supposed to be going to look at a bunch of old/oldish bottles and want to make sure I buy the appropriate bottles and leave the ones that wouldn't be wise.

Any help or thoughts?

I will offer this one piece of advice:

Do NOT pass on today's 'mass produced' Bourbons in the belief that large distilleries are putting 'blah' Bourbon out in commonly available brands.

The consistent quality of the Bourbons being bottled today, especially by the mass producers, far exceeds the quality of most other eras.   

Are there 'dusty' offerings to be found (not easily any more, I fear) that are very nice pours?   Sure, because they were made in an era of hardship for the distilleries as brand loyalty to Bourbons diminished, and the general public went for lighter spirits, eventually settling on rums & vodkas, and evolving tastes slowly dictated the eventual "glut" of Bourbon barrels aging in warehouses; but not being demanded by the public.    That situation, while disastrous for the distilleries, resulted in a good deal of older aged Bourbon being bottled in brands that were not premium, and not expensive, just to keep at least a small cash flow for the distilleries.      All the dusty stuff isn't stellar, however, as you hinted in your initial post.    I am no expert on particular dustys, but can tell you I have a real fondness for National Distillers produced Old Grand Dad (before the brand was sold to Jim Beam).    There are certainly others worth having.    Older Wild Turkey can be very good.    Any with the 'Austin Nichols' labels is likely good or better.     There are many other 'glut era' Bourbons; but not all are wonderful, as I noted.

Good Luck.

About the only piece of advice I can give is to use the search function here. It could help you some.

Cheers! Joe

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

About the only piece of advice I can give is to use the search function here. It could help you some.

Cheers! Joe

I agree that reading through old threads is the best way to acquire knowledge of dusties. (Not that there are many left out there). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.