Drinkable bourbon

Cundiff5535
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've been here regularly for a few weeks now, and I've come to see many members are not big or LE Bottles... maybe they are, but they just don't see the point in hunting them down!

I know this is a loaded question, but what are your favorite bottles that you are buying for your bunker?  That also means what is your favorite thing to drink regularly?  They are one on the same question to a point... they can also be different in the sense you might think something is going to run short down the line.

I have a lot of stuff but seeing that LE bottle season is over, I would like to start stocking some nice everyday bottles to enjoy.  I personally haye taking risks on bottles as well... prime example was HW Bourye... imo it's just bad for $80-$90 bucks.

Anyways looking forward to hearing the bottles you guys think are top draw and not impossible to locate.  Gimme 1, gimme 10... always looking to try new stuff and continue to build my collection !

OGD 114, OF Sig, FRSmB, ECBP, EC are some of my favorites. We have some store select here in GJ, but not from distillery's I like.

FR private selections - lots of stores not named Binny's have these and they're usually pretty good as FR has a high floor in terms of quality.  Other private store selections to look for are WTRR, WTKS, KC & MM.  I also bunker SAOS single barrels which can currently be found around Chicagoland.  I think you're on the right track in looking to stock up on more readily available bottles as LEs are not always worth the time or the money.  You'll find that you can get an equally enjoyable product for a lot less money. 

Edited by jvd99

The question is basically asking for a summary of the entire contents of the forum. Bourbon and tastes are subjective, as is value. Continue to read the forum and you'll find what you need. I have overpaid for LEs because up until a couple years ago I didn't have any. I won't overpay for whiskey that is unknown. I bunker based on what I like and what is somewhat tricky to find (ETL, RHF, ECBP, EHTBP, OWA). I don't bunker for investment. If I bunker a bottle it's because I intend to drink it. What I drink on a weekly basis are many of the other brands that are consistently identified on the forum as good values and align with my tastes (FRSiB, FRSmB, ER, EC12, BT, Ritt, baby Saz, WT101, KCSiB and until recently, Booker's which now comes out of the 3-4!bottles I bunkered in December). 

Edited by Charlutz

The only things I really bunker are things that are either gone or potentially going away or disappear real quick. In the first category have been things like SAOS, OGD 86 proofers when I see them, age stated EC12, age stated KC (though the 4 bottles I have are enough there). In the second category are things like OWA or ECBP.  I also loaded up on $40 Bookers but I'm done there barring a really good price on a batch I don't have. 

I won't play the LE game.

The only thing I have bunkered in the last year are things I know I like, and are going away, or jumping in price/getting harder to find....like Bookers (price shooting up), OGD114 (disappearing stocks), KC9 (age statement loss).

Currently, I am only bunkering SAOS stuff of the SB varieties. Yet to have a bad one, so I pretty much buy them when I see them and stock them away. SUPER glad I did this when they were still making BP ryes.

Important to mention....make sure you really like it before bunkering loads of it. You'll find your tastes change, and you may not like it and have a bunch of it someday.

6 hours ago, Cundiff5535 said:

So I've been here regularly for a few weeks now, and I've come to see many members are not big or LE Bottles... maybe they are, but they just don't see the point in hunting them down!

I know this is a loaded question, but what are your favorite bottles that you are buying for your bunker?  That also means what is your favorite thing to drink regularly?  They are one on the same question to a point... they can also be different in the sense you might think something is going to run short down the line.

Plenty of people here love and drink the LE's. We just tend to not make a big deal out of it. Lot's of old timers here have bunkers stocked from the days when the LE's sat on the shelf. Those guys are a bit bewildered by all the fuss about them these days. Those of us who got into it a little later had a harder time finding the LE's, but were still able to. What we've found over time is that though very good, they are not the end all be all. Mostly though, the LE's get enough hype already and most sites a full of far too much posturing over who's drinking the best or most rare of this or that. What you'll find more of here is people talking about the bourbons you can actually buy that are worth drinking regularly and stocking up on.

The best thing to do is go read the "what are you buying" and "what are you drinking" threads. Go back into the past year and see what the recurring themes are. Some of them have already been mentioned above.

43 minutes ago, flahute said:

Plenty of people here love and drink the LE's. We just tend to not make a big deal out of it. Lot's of old timers here have bunkers stocked from the days when the LE's sat on the shelf. Those guys are a bit bewildered by all the fuss about them these days. Those of us who got into it a little later had a harder time finding the LE's, but were still able to. What we've found over time is that though very good, they are not the end all be all. Mostly though, the LE's get enough hype already and most sites a full of far too much posturing over who's drinking the best or most rare of this or that. What you'll find more of here is people talking about the bourbons you can actually buy that are worth drinking regularly and stocking up on.

The best thing to do is go read the "what are you buying" and "what are you drinking" threads. Go back into the past year and see what the recurring themes are. Some of them have already been mentioned above.

Super solid advise... heading over there now...

Like others said it depends on your palate but for me, and I am partial to wheated bourbons I will always try to have some WSR or OWA around.  If not then Larceny is another wheated bourbon that I enjoy.  Also the FRSB and FRSmB will always probably be in my cabinet.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, Elijah Craig, Old Fitzgerald BIB, Heaven Hill BIB, Pikesville Rye

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't really buy more than two of anything but my main targets are generally store picks when I'm traveling (or when the wife is traveling if she's willing to bring a present home). 

BT Store Picks are a favorite . . . if I find a honey barrel, the bunker grows.  Henry McKenna BIB is another.  If these go 'on sale' . . . the bunker grows.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.