Jump to content
Guest

Any Sloe Gin Fans Out There?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

Guest

Picked up a bottle of the good stuff this weekend.  Wondering what cocktails folks have conjured up w this high quality spirit?   I'm bouncing between a couple of options...will post my results on this thread! 

FullSizeRender 34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Started with a Blackthorn.  Here's the recipe I used: 

1 12 sh Sloe gin
1 sh Gin
34 sh Sweet vermouth
3 ds Orange bitters

 

You can stir or shake, I stirred, served up w an orange-peel twist.  Really nice. Sweet but not at all cloying.  The orange bitters, twist and sloe gin harmonize beautifully. The red vermouth and gin creates depth and a backbone.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

One of my favorites is a somewhat complicated double base spirit SB.com classic known as the Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe cocktail! I try to stick to the brands noted and the measurements called for as carefully as possible when making this one as this is a cocktail that could go wrong in a hurry.

 

Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe Cocktail!

 

1.5 Buffalo Trace bourbon

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 Sloe gin (Plymouth)

0.5 White Creme de Cacao (Marie Brizzard)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain and serve!

 

This is also known as the Transatlantic Giant to the unwashed masses not fortunate enough to be familiar with SB.com.

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
Can't spell...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
One of my favorites is a somewhat complicated double base spirit SB.com classic known as the Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe cocktail! I try to stick to the brands noted and the measurements called for as carefully as possible when making this one as this is a cocktail that could go wrong in a hurry.
 
Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe Cocktail!
 

1.5 Buffalo Trace bourbon

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 Sloe gin (Plymouth)

0.5 White Creme de Cacao (Marie Brizzard)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain and serve!

 
This is also known as the Transatlantic Giant to the unwashed masses not fortunate enough to be familiar with SB.com.
 
 
 


Epic. What would be a decent sub for the Smith & Cross? Or is this the belly button for this guy? [emoji848] I have a few Rums kicking about, and all the rest of these guys to hand...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
Just now, Steve L said:

 

 


Epic. What would be a decent sub for the Smith & Cross? Or is this the belly button for this guy? emoji848.png I have a few Rums kicking about, and all the rest of these guys to hand...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Replacing Smith & Cross, especially in this drink, would be very difficult. It is a unique blend of two different Jamaican rums at higher proof specifically created for making cocktails by Haus Alpenz. The best part is that it is not overly expensive ($30 and usually readily available in many places including Binny's).

 

So if you have access to it and enjoy cocktails in general and rum cocktails in particular it is practically a must have!

 

The Doctor Cocktail you see noted on the Smith & Cross page is one of my favorite "simple" cocktails although it calls for a second unusual ingredient from Haus Alpenz, Kronan Swedish Punsch. Alas, no sloe gin.

 

The Doctor Cocktail
2oz Jamaica Rum (I use 2 oz of rum, not 1. Gets a bit sweet otherwise.)
1oz Swedish Punsch
1oz Fresh Lime Juice
shake, strain, lime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe Cocktail!

 

Love the name. ^_^  The first thing that came to mind was the old Smucker's commercials.

 

"With a name like Smokin' Mother F#@&ing Joe Cocktail, it's gotta be good." :P

 

Cheers! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

Replacing Smith & Cross, especially in this drink, would be very difficult. It is a unique blend of two different Jamaican rums at higher proof specifically created for making cocktails by Haus Alpenz. The best part is that it is not overly expensive ($30 and usually readily available in many places including Binny's).

 

So if you have access to it and enjoy cocktails in general and rum cocktails in particular it is practically a must have!

 

Will try to grab some.  I've been looking for the Swedish Punsch too -- ever since coming across the book pictured below.  Originally published in 1948 -- it's chock full of ancient recipes...  : )

complete bar guide.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

In answer to the question posed by the thread's title, Steve; Not This Puppy! 

Got schnockered on over half of a fifth (yes an actual fifth) of stolen Sloe Gin (therein lies a long story) back in my mid-teens and have barely been able to stand even a sniff of the stuff since, and that's over 50-years ago.

Similar story on Southern Comfort a few years later (slow learner).    Both: just sooooooo syrupy sweeeeeet... eeeewwwww!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

In answer to the question posed by the thread's title, Steve; Not This Puppy! 

Got schnockered on over half of a fifth (yes an actual fifth) of stolen Sloe Gin (therein lies a long story) back in my mid-teens and have barely been able to stand even a sniff of the stuff since, and that's over 50-years ago.

Similar story on Southern Comfort a few years later (slow learner).    Both: just sooooooo syrupy sweeeeeet... eeeewwwww!

This "real" stuff is quite different from the stuff we poisoned ourselves w back in the day. (I remember mixing it with Squirt!  YIKES.)  I love the regular Plymouth Gin so much I was intrigued to see them go all in on the Sloe Berry.  And they've done a stupendous job with it...  I have several more cocktails to try and will post them here -- cause I think if I post em anywhere else, I may be shown the door.  ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexanBrad
Will try to grab some.  I've been looking for the Swedish Punsch too -- ever since coming across the book pictured below.  Originally published in 1948 -- it's chock full of ancient recipes...  : )
58d0536ff161b_completebarguide.thumb.jpg.b5a39c0eb2a03f0797924fe6c4cabbd3.jpg



I love how it also says "complete wine information" ! That's about as likely as complete whiskey information!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 3/20/2017 at 1:38 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

 

 

Smokin' Mother F#@&%ing Joe Cocktail!

 

1.5 Buffalo Trace bourbon

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 Sloe gin (Plymouth)

0.5 White Creme de Cacao (Marie Brizzard)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain and serve!

 

This is also known as the Transatlantic Giant to the unwashed masses not fortunate enough to be familiar with SB.com.

 

 

 

Finally got the supplies together and mixed one of these up.  It's like a Manhattan via Joseph Conrad novels.  New flavors on every sip.  A reminder that you once had to take your life in your hands to see the whole world -- and those who did, accounted us landlubbers as wanting for courage.

 

 

 

FullSizeRender 35.jpg

IMG_3143.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Looks lovely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

I remember a drink back in the day that was a "Sloe Comfortable Screw".  Sloe Gin, Southern Comfort, Vodka, and Orange Juice...not sure of the proportions. VERY sweet and the alcohol would really sneak up on you since the sweetness hid it. There is also the "Sloe Comfortable Screw Against The Wall" version where you add some Galliano (a la a Harvey WALLbanger)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
11 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I remember a drink back in the day that was a "Sloe Comfortable Screw".  Sloe Gin, Southern Comfort, Vodka, and Orange Juice...not sure of the proportions. VERY sweet and the alcohol would really sneak up on you since the sweetness hid it. There is also the "Sloe Comfortable Screw Against The Wall" version where you add some Galliano (a la a Harvey WALLbanger)

 Wow Tim. You brought back some fond memories from way back when. Ages ago, it was just the "Sloe Screw". Variations of that came afterwards. And yes, I also had a few Harvey Wallbangers back then too. ;) A gal I was dating back then loved them, and she turned me onto 'em. :P Back then, my preference was actually for Sloe Gin Fizzes though. I was in the Army, and we had this one female bartender at the EM Club that was wonderful. She had her own variations on several cocktails. One was the Sloe Gin Fizz. Instead of lemon juice, she'd use grenadine, and add cherry juice and a cherry. Good, sweet, and cheap. Perfect for some of us guys in uniform. ^_^ FWIW, I'm talking pre 1980. :huh: 

 

Cheers! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

I'm a little younger at 50 so I'm talking late 80s but it's funny how one little thing can trigger memories. I remember us poor college students buying a cheap soda called Ruby Red Pop and mixing it with whiskey. It wasn't always Jack but no matter what whiskey it was we called the resulting drink a Jack Ruby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Ahhhhhh the good old days. :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

Not sure about good... But them were definitely the OLD days!    HA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
 Wow Tim. You brought back some fond memories from way back when. Ages ago, it was just the "Sloe Screw". Variations of that came afterwards. And yes, I also had a few Harvey Wallbangers back then too. [emoji6] A gal I was dating back then loved them, and she turned me onto 'em. [emoji14] Back then, my preference was actually for Sloe Gin Fizzes though. I was in the Army, and we had this one female bartender at the EM Club that was wonderful. She had her own variations on several cocktails. One was the Sloe Gin Fizz. Instead of lemon juice, she'd use grenadine, and add cherry juice and a cherry. Good, sweet, and cheap. Perfect for some of us guys in uniform. [emoji5] FWIW, I'm talking pre 1980. :huh: 
 
Cheers! Joe

Joe, I was just about to mention the Sloe Gin Fizz if nobody else mentioned it. That must have been a staple in all the military EM Clubs. It was also a favorite in a lot of the bars outside of military bases on Okinawa...or at least that's what I heard. [emoji12]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

 Wow Tim. You brought back some fond memories from way back when. Ages ago, it was just the "Sloe Screw". Variations of that came afterwards. And yes, I also had a few Harvey Wallbangers back then too. ;) A gal I was dating back then loved them, and she turned me onto 'em. :P Back then, my preference was actually for Sloe Gin Fizzes though. I was in the Army, and we had this one female bartender at the EM Club that was wonderful. She had her own variations on several cocktails. One was the Sloe Gin Fizz. Instead of lemon juice, she'd use grenadine, and add cherry juice and a cherry. Good, sweet, and cheap. Perfect for some of us guys in uniform. ^_^ FWIW, I'm talking pre 1980. :huh: 

 

Cheers! Joe

Thanks for the poke in the eye, Joe.  Reminiscing tonight, anyway.  It was YEARS before I learned that a classic SGF was sloe gin (50-60 proof IIRC), lemon juice, and club soda.  I always thought a shot of vodka, or perhaps a shot of Navy proof gin, was part of it.  Speaking of guys in uniform, our post bartender in Germany (late 1960s) was a WWII vet on the losing side.  He introduced us to "cognac and Coke" which he correctly told us did not give us alcohol breath.  Where'd he learn that?  Malta 1943.

 

I like that grenadine idea.  I will incorporate it for awhile to see how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for the poke in the eye, Joe.  Reminiscing tonight, anyway.  It was YEARS before I learned that a classic SGF was sloe gin (50-60 proof IIRC), lemon juice, and club soda.  I always thought a shot of vodka, or perhaps a shot of Navy proof gin, was part of it.  Speaking of guys in uniform, our post bartender in Germany (late 1960s) was a WWII vet on the losing side.  He introduced us to "cognac and Coke" which he correctly told us did not give us alcohol breath.  Where'd he learn that?  Malta 1943.

 

I like that grenadine idea.  I will incorporate it for awhile to see how it works.

 You're welcome Harry. ;)  Cool story. 

 

BTW, since you brought up Germany, are you familiar with an Aber Gut?  I used to help out at my American Legion post by bar tending part time. A favorite drink of some of the vets was an Aber Gut. It's a variation of our shot and a beer. It's a shot of brandy topped off with a shot of peppermint schnapps, followed by a beer chaser. I was told it's also popular up in Wisconsin. Guys would play cards or pull tabs, or sit at the bar and watch sports, or just bs and sip beer for hours. When they ordered an Aber Gut, I knew it was time to settle up their tab 'cause that was almost always the last drink they had before heading home.

 

Cheers! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 9/27/2017 at 10:40 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

 You're welcome Harry. ;)  Cool story. 

 

BTW, since you brought up Germany, are you familiar with an Aber Gut?  I used to help out at my American Legion post by bar tending part time. A favorite drink of some of the vets was an Aber Gut. It's a variation of our shot and a beer. It's a shot of brandy topped off with a shot of peppermint schnapps, followed by a beer chaser. I was told it's also popular up in Wisconsin. Guys would play cards or pull tabs, or sit at the bar and watch sports, or just bs and sip beer for hours. When they ordered an Aber Gut, I knew it was time to settle up their tab 'cause that was almost always the last drink they had before heading home.

 

Cheers! Joe

NOW it has a name.  That same bartender called it his "Special".  BUT, my wife is a nice second generation Polish girl from Chicago (well, western suburbs), and her upbringing included visiting bars in her home town.  The Aber Gut (or its facsimile) used to be available in some bars in Brookfield, Ill. - usually the ones with the Stroh's Beer signs.  Double shot and beer was its fancy name.:P

EDIT - Yeah, I've had a few.  Sticky sweet and massive headache.  Maybe tomorrow night just for old time's sake . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.