Maker's Mark Cask Strength Inconsistencies

tarheel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

I picked up a bottle of Maker's Mark CS a week or two ago and am disappointed with it. I don't really like MM in the first place so I don't know what I was expecting, but I read so many glowing reviews so I thought I would give it another chance. It's rough and hot for the relatively low 112 proof. CEHT barrel proof and Stagg Jr are in my mind much better while being higher, and significantly higher in proof respectively. But then I would take a standard bottle of Buffalo Trace (or Eagle Rare 10, or CEHT small batch) over MM any day so I guess that shouldn't be surprising. I guess the real lesson here is not to buy barrel proof versions of whiskeys that I don't love in the first place.

I'll probably vat it with something else and maybe throw it in one of my little barrels to age it some more and see if it gets better.

As far as wheaters go, I managed to find a bottle of OWA which to me is quite a bit better than MMCS at a pretty similar proof.

The 375 of MMCS I have was $24.99, I have never paid more than $22.99 for a bottle of OWA, my assessment in terms of taste is the same as yours.

On March 30, 2017 at 3:00 PM, kevinbrink said:

I follow, I'll be honest I find MM to be very consistent the problem is I consistently don't care for the acetone I get from it regardless of air time.

Yeah, I get the acetone note as well. If I had to rank them in terms of acetone, I'd go (highest note to lowest): MM standard bottle, MMCS, MM Private Select, MM 46.

With more age, I think that acetone note would either go away or get reduced significantly. 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Kpiz said:

Are you referring to MMCS or Maker's 46 Cask Strength? The Maker's 46 CS is done as a single barrel, but at least the first couple batches of MMCS consisted of many barrels vatted together.

Newb question, but is there a Maker's 46 Cask Strength? I don't see it listed on the MM website.

Dean

Newb question, but is there a Maker's 46 Cask Strength? I don't see it listed on the MM website.

Dean

Not a newb question, it's a newb product! There is a Maker's 46 cask strength, though I think it's just available in the gift shop and for private selection.

22 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Not a newb question, it's a newb product! There is a Maker's 46 cask strength, though I think it's just available in the gift shop and for private selection.

I wonder how many stores have taken the opportunity to go with the Makers 46 option on all staves of their private select. I've seen several private selects, but never that one. Given the limited availability of Makers 46 CS (gift shop only), I'm wondering the level of interest that might generate relative to mixing up the staves and making your own uniquely finished barrel (which is far more common). I could see the barrel in the store with a sign marketing it as Maker's 46 Cask Strength. I'd certainly be interested in that bottle.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, DeepCover said:

I wonder how many stores have taken the opportunity to go with the Makers 46 option on all staves of their private select. I've seen several private selects, but never that one. Given the limited availability of Makers 46 CS (gift shop only), I'm wondering the level of interest that might generate relative to mixing up the staves and making your own uniquely finished barrel (which is far more common). I could see the barrel in the store with a sign marketing it as Maker's 46 Cask Strength. I'd certainly be interested in that bottle.

Seems like I recall someone saying that Bill Samuels Jr brought a bottle of the M46 private select that was all M46 staves to a tasting of some sort. Not sure if I read that here or it was somewhere else.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Seems like I recall someone saying that Bill Samuels Jr brought a bottle of the M46 private select that was all M46 staves to a tasting of some sort. Not sure if I read that here or it was somewhere else.

IMG_1590.PNG

IMG_1591.PNG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.