"The Bourbon That Didn't Get Away"

Louisiana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a long week I had a heavy pour of ECBP last night. Served neat in a yeti low ball rambler. Two ounces of 139.4 proof absolute greatness! The above topic came to mind after reading so many good discussions on SB.com that go back 15 years. It's not hard to find someone say they wish they had bought more of this or that. It is hard to find someone say they stocked up on something at the right time. Mine would have to be ECBP. Bought most from $49-$59. This particular expression is what Great Bourbon aspires to be when it grows up! Recent reviews & prices make me glad to have a bunker full. What bourbon did you stock up on in the past that makes you think "I'm Glad To Have Those"?

Edited by Louisiana

I'm glad to have a bunch of age stated versions of stuff that has gone NAS. Also glad to have some of the LEs that I actually care about so I don't have to stress about getting stuff in the future with an unknown environment evolving. Overall I'm happy to have a bunker I can go to and grab solid pours from that would last me at least several years at the rate I consume if I never buy another bottle, and I've never really paid much over MSRP for anything in there

Unlike some of the true veterans here, I didn't really start buying and bunkering until about 5 years ago. Fortunately for me though I did see the writing on the wall that prices were only going to go up as ages came down.

For that reason, I loaded up on 4R Private Selections for $45-$55, some of them at 12 years old. I loaded up on early batches of ECBP for $45-$50. KC9 and EC12 before the age statements dropped. Weller 12 while it could still be gotten. ETL while it could still be gotten and was only $25-$30. 

For limiteds, I picked up quite a few PH POH because I really like it so I took advantage of it being less popular than previous PH's. Now it sells on secondary for $250-$300 but I'm not selling.

I picked up a lot of BTAC for $200 in the early days of the secondary market because I knew it would only get crazier. I don't regret it. My average price comes down quite a bit when combined with all the ones I got at retail and is far better bourbon (to me) than a whole host of bourbons out there now in the $120-$150 range.

Barrel Bourbon Batch #006 - still manage to have three (3) in the bunker, but at least one is in danger of hitting the rotation.  Glad that posse didn't get away!   :D

Pretty happy to have gotten the 5 bottles of smooth ambler rye that I have. I know it's not a bourbon but it is one of my favorite pours to date. All in all I still feel lucky at the number of cheap quality bottles of bourbon on the shelves around me. The only thing better than whiskey is on sale whiskey and I have some pretty great specials/sales in my area. I would bunker a lot more of it if I hadn't already spent so much this past year. 

I really just started bunkering what is allocated, going NAS, certain limited editions and discontinued stuff about a year ago. I feel good about the number of handles of EC12, Booker's and a few others I've been able to find, but still hope to add some more Weller 12, ETL, BTAC and younger Pappy. The prices certainly seem to be getting bumped up quite a bit this year on quite a few items, so I'm happy I went on a buying splurge last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got the usual suspects. Van Winkle, BTAC, FR LE, etc. I really didn't start bunkering until a few years ago though. They were hard to get already. Can't drink them frequently, because of limited availability. My first ECBP was Batch 6 & there were several on the shelf going nowhere. Ended up finding earlier batches later on, & knew they were bunker worthy. 4 Batch 11's & 4 Batch 12's were safely secured in the bunker over the last few weeks. I could be wrong, but feel like this one is gonna get harder & harder to find. Just glad to have plenty put up.

Stocked up is probably too strong a term but I am glad I still have some AAA10YO, EC12YO, and KC9YO.  The plan is to taste them again in a couple years and see if they are as good as I thought they were or if it is just a matter of nostalgia.

My Big Three daily pours used to be  AAA10YO, VOB6YO, and OWA. The first two are gone for ever and I haven't seen the last in at least a couple years. Would have bought it if I had.

Edited by Flyfish

I don't have multiples in the bunker but I stumbled upon a FRSmBLE 2015 in a store before I knew what it was for $95. I left it on the shelf and went home, looked up some info and went right back and bought it. It's one of my favorites and I'm still nursing it down 18 months later. So so glad to have it. 

Glad I bought a Van Winkle Rye when I saw it in the wild back in the day and purchased it at what seemed like a crazy price at the time, about $65 if I remember correctly. To this day is easily one of the top 2 or 3 whiskies I've ever had.  Was a sad day when I finished off that bottle.

Glad to have a modest bunker with one each of many discontinued bottles and a few limited editions for good measure. No multiples of anything, but the 10 ECSB 1994-2004 and the quality of the rest will keep me satisfied for a long time.

I'm glad I put up several SAOS SmB and SB. Its already getting hard to find them. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.