Jump to content

30 Year Recommendations


fenderbender4
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

fenderbender4

So I'm turning 30 this year and thought it'd be cool to pick up a 30 year whisk(e)y seeing as it may be the last birthday milestone where I can find some whiskeys without spending a super crap ton of money.  Any recommendations?  I'm more Highlands/Speyside guy.  I know I'm in pricey territory but try to ideally keep it around $400 or less.  Just want to know what's "worth it" or not.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean
15 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

So I'm turning 30 this year and thought it'd be cool to pick up a 30 year whisk(e)y seeing as it may be the last birthday milestone where I can find some whiskeys without spending a super crap ton of money.  Any recommendations?  I'm more Highlands/Speyside guy.  I know I'm in pricey territory but try to ideally keep it around $400 or less.  Just want to know what's "worth it" or not.  Thanks.

Honestly the ship has largely sailed on sub $400 30 year old whisky.  I think Benromach 30 comes in right at that, maybe Glenfarclas 30.  There are a few IBs that might be around that price range.  I guess the better question is: what do you have access to in your chosen age and price range?  If you've got a bunch of dusties sitting around, you might be able to get something pretty good.

 

Alternatively, consider getting a 30 year old brandy, particularly focus on Armagnacs.  Those can be pretty cheap, plenty in the $90-$150 range for a good to great bottle, with some expressions going way higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

I will send you some info that might help via PM.

 

Did you want a vintage bottling or just a 30yo? Some of the Independents might have a bottle from various distilleries dated 1987 but that might be tougher to find. And probably more expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
fenderbender4

I was looking at just a 30 year old.  I would also be open to spending more just can't go for the $1000 bottles and its ilk.  I wasn't quite sure on the price range.  I'm in MN and there really aren't a TON of 30+ other than say maybe a Macallan but I'm not the biggest Macallan fan anyway, let alone the $K's prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
fenderbender4
10 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Honestly the ship has largely sailed on sub $400 30 year old whisky.  I think Benromach 30 comes in right at that, maybe Glenfarclas 30.  There are a few IBs that might be around that price range.  I guess the better question is: what do you have access to in your chosen age and price range?  If you've got a bunch of dusties sitting around, you might be able to get something pretty good.

 

Alternatively, consider getting a 30 year old brandy, particularly focus on Armagnacs.  Those can be pretty cheap, plenty in the $90-$150 range for a good to great bottle, with some expressions going way higher.

 

I've had very little exposure to Cognac and Armagnac, but any recommendations?  Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry

Maybe a 30 year old blonde would be cheaper than a 30 year old scotch

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go online to Master of Malt, they have a tool or tab specifically tailored to help you find a gift bottle at a certain age.  They also do their own bottling that are very affordable.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, b1gcountry said:

Maybe a 30 year old blonde would be cheaper than a 30 year old scotch

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 

Wanna bet?:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't buy Scotch anymore (life situation has changed) but, it has been my experience that Scotch of that age is not worth the asking price. It's good, but...... 

 

Cragganmore has a 30 year old for under $400.00.... I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.