Redbreast Lustau wow!

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought Redbreast Lustau over the weekend for $60. Wiw this is some good stuff! Redbreast on it's own  isgood, but the sherry really adds a lot of character. Nutty, fruity, but not that sweet. 46% and NCF as well.

Very good deal. 

Interesting. I didn't like it as well as you did and thought it seemed a bit less complex. Indeed, I was rather disappointed with it.

But then I will generally take the 12 CS everytime anyway!

I agree it is less complex, but what was there was more tasty I thought. I haven't had the CS yet. Wasn't going to get it, but the price tag exceeded what I want to pay for whisky right now.

Thanks for the review.  I considered buying a bottle last weekend, but I held back in favor of a new (to me) bourbon.

Lustau seems to be rather polarizing. I bought a bottle, but have not opened it yet.

13 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Lustau seems to be rather polarizing. I bought a bottle, but have not opened it yet.

Yes it seems to be. My two go to reviewers, Serge and Josh (whiskyfun and thewhiskeyjug) were pretty disparate. Serge found it OK. while Josh loved it.

I think I like it because the sherry aspect isn't too overwhelming. It seems like the spirit and sherry complimented each other nicely.

• 2 months later...
On 23/5/2017 at 0:08 AM, jeffrey r said:

Lustau seems to be rather polarizing.

You are not alone in thinking this. Lot's love the extra sherry component , however i believe that the spirit in Lustau is a bit younger than the standard Redbreast . "Mano a Lambh" on the other hand was aged solely in sherry casks for longer than Lustau and is a much more complete dram. 

For the Redbreast fans Aug 16th has been declared REDBREAST DAY during the Dublin whiskey festival. There will be a presentation by Ger Garland of IDL and Willie Murphy aka Pot Still Will on the joys of our favourite   amber nectar. Willie has probably the largest collection of Redbreast's from all eras in Ireland.I include a photo of a part of his collection..

Slainte,

Charlie

redbreast day.jpg

redbreast  willie.jpg

On 8/9/2017 at 11:08 AM, charleymcguffin said:

You are not alone in thinking this. Lot's love the extra sherry component , however i believe that the spirit in Lustau is a bit younger than the standard Redbreast . "Mano a Lambh" on the other hand was aged solely in sherry casks for longer than Lustau and is a much more complete dram. 

For the Redbreast fans Aug 16th has been declared REDBREAST DAY during the Dublin whiskey festival. There will be a presentation by Ger Garland of IDL and Willie Murphy aka Pot Still Will on the joys of our favourite   amber nectar. Willie has probably the largest collection of Redbreast's from all eras in Ireland.I include a photo of a part of his collection..

Slainte,

Charlie

redbreast day.jpg

redbreast  willie.jpg

Charlie,

Is that your Redbreast collection?  Very nice!

Normally I'm a single malt scotch or bourbon guy. I tried Redbreast 12 recently and enjoyed it. Also liked the Powers 12 and the Tyrconnell 16.

Edited by BourbonDude

37 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Charlie,

Impressive!

3 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Charlie,

I believe he noted in his post that it was a picture of part of the collection of a person named Willie Murphy aka Pot Still Will.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, charleymcguffin said:

For the Redbreast fans Aug 16th has been declared REDBREAST DAY during the Dublin whiskey festival. There will be a presentation by Ger Garland of IDL and Willie Murphy aka Pot Still Will on the joys of our favourite  amber nectar. Willie has probably the largest collection of Redbreast's from all eras in Ireland. I include a photo of a part of his collection.

Slainte,

Charlie

8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Not mine I am afraid.. They belong to Willie Murphy aka Pot Still Will one of the foremost Redbreast experts and collectors, it is he who is giving the tasting on the 16th , an event that i will not be able to get to Dublin to savour as I will be at the opposite end of the country.

Bruce and Charlie,

My apologies for not reading carefully.  Thanks for the clarification.   

• 3 months later...

Just a little teaser for the Redbreast fans out there. At the recent Whiskey Live at Dublin Castle there was a Redbreast masterclass, hosted by Dave McCabe assistant master blender at Midleton. As well as the std 21 year old we had 3 of the main components that make up the finished whiskey. A 21yr old aged solely in bourbon barrels, a 32 yr old from sherry casks and another laid down in 1995 from 2nd fill bourbon and sherry..  I include a photo to show the colour variation of the drams.  I had tasted the 21yr bourbon barrel component before and I loved it then and this tasting confirmed how good it was .. I would love to see  this being issued as a stand alone whiskey outside the Redbreast range. I found the 32 yr sherry a little over much while the 1995 was near perfection. To ice the cake each participant in the masterclass was presented with an exclusive small bottle of Redbreast 21 "Cask Strength". This was specially made for the day by Billy Leighton and Dave Macabe. BTW I was at an Irish whiskey Society tasting last week and among the drams was a 1980's and an early 1990's Redbreast , I think that most concurred that the present range is much better than the old stock, the 1980 definitely tasted very tired.

Cheers

Charlie

RED masterclass.jpg

IMG_0779 (908x1024).jpg

Sounds fun! I would definitely like to have tried those, especially the all bourbon cask version. And cask strength 21yo hand picked by the master distiller sounds spectacular!

I can see the 32yo sherry being a bit much on its own. I managed to get a cask strength all sherry cask barrel pick Redbreast from TWC and while it is fun to try it is a LOT of sherry. And I think that was only about 15yo. But blended well, probably using a very light hand, I am sure the 32yo would be an excellent component in the final whiskey.

Which whiskey is which in the picture? I presume the third one is the 32yo sherry?

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Which whiskey is which in the picture? I presume the third one is the 32yo sherry?

From left 21yr std 2nd the bourbon barrel. Still drooling when I think of this, 3rd the 32 yr sherry and the last the 1995 cask . The special bottling is in picture so you can make out the final colour.. delicious !

A little piece about redbreast  here.... https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/redbreast/redbreast-meet-the-irish-whiskey-family-that-has-won-over-the-world-1.3281538

Been trying to find Lustau all over NW Arkansas and SW Missouri, no one stocks it.  Liquor stores can't even special order it.  I love Redbreast 12 and 12 year old cask strength.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.