RUM COCKTAILS - share your favorite rum cocktails here

sailor22
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just back from a wedding in Miami and the Bahamas - the Mango Biche Caipirinha from the poolside bar at the Fountainbleau was outstanding. The cayenne and lime played very well together while the funky stinky 151 proof Cachaca was delicious in this mix. My new favorite cocktail.

Also a pretty standard rum runner with fresh squeezed fruit juices served in the rain is delicious. Fresh ingredients make all the difference.

IMG_3387-s.jpg

IMG_3390-b.jpg

IMG_3372-s.jpg

My favorite remains the SB.com classic which combines both rum AND bourbon and several other things that don't sound like they belong together. It is of course is known as the Smokin' Joe Cocktail (sometimes also known as the Transatlantic Giant to the less initiated...).

I have posted it elsewhere on several occasions and of course it is a classic of the Bourbon Sampler Cook Out but I will post once again here.

1 1/2 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon (The original recipe specifically called for BT but others could be used. Probably something more low rye in style)
1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Sloe Gin (Plymouth)
1/2 oz Crème de Cacao (Marie Brizard)
3 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass

Another favorite I have mention here before is the El Presidente.

1½ oz. rich white rum (I often use Flor de Cana 4yo)
1½ oz. Dolin Blanc Vermouth (Martini & Rossi or Cinzano Bianco also work but this is a sweet white blanc vermouth, not the classic dry vermouth used in a typical Martini)
1 barspoon orange Curaçao or Grand Marnier (I prefer Ferrand Dry Curacao
½ barspoon real grenadine (Use real grenadine, made from pomegranate juice, not the fake red stuff, for the best-tasting results!)
Thinly cut orange peel
Garnish: maraschino cherry

Stir with cracked ice and strain into a chilled glass. Twist thinly cut orange peel over top and discard. Garnish with a good quality maraschino cherry.

And no rum cocktail list is complete (for me anyway) without a little rhum agricole! A couple of my favorites are:

D.W.B. (Daiquiri with Benefits)

2 oz Rhum agricole blanc (such as La Favorite Blanc. Ideally at least 100 proof!)
1/4 oz Batavia Arrack
3/4 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Cane syrup

Shake, strain, up.

And the even boozier Baie du Galion from the Smuggler's Cove cocktail book and bar.

2 oz Rhum Agricole blanc (again I prefer something at least 100 proof)

1/2 oz  Green Chartreuse
1/4 oz Drambuie
1 twst Lemon peel (as garnish)

Stir; strain; up; garnish

YUM!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.