Dickel ceramic jug? 1870

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll admit that Dickel and the Charter would have come home with me.

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'll admit that Dickel and the Charter would have come home with me.

How does the 101 compare to the 8 year. Do you think the juice in the dickel is still good? at that price?

4 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

How does the 101 compare to the 8 year. Do you think the juice in the dickel is still good? at that price?

I have no valuable info to provide having never had anything above. As far as the Dickel being good, that seal looks pretty good, with the ceramic jugs the one thing I would be concerned with is evaporation, if it feels full I would think you are good.  Honestly anytime you buy old spirits you are taking a risk, there is no guarantee you are getting anything better than what is on the shelf now so what you are buying is the opportunity to find out. If that doesn't appeal to you then I wouldn't make the purchase as you are likely to be disappointed.

Felt 2/3? full? Pretty cool shelf piece but not so sure of liquid. They also had a Jack Daniels Tribute to Tennessee decanter and some bird decanters in a case.

Sometimes those decanters don't feel very full even though they're sealed up well. Not sure if it's just the way it sounds in the ceramic or if the decanter just has more space inside than a normal bottle. It's a quart bottle, which means it's pre-1980. I'd probably buy that one if it's sealed up as well as it looks in the pictures. But as previously mentioned, it's difficult to know if the stuff inside will be good. I've opened ones that seemed to be sealed well only to find that the contents were badly oxidized.

Any chance you got a picture of the back label of the Old Foresters? It appears to have the shrink wrap top which I think would date it to the mid-90s but not positive. Probably good glut bourbon, though probably not old enough to have bourbon from the much lauded DSP-414 Distillery. I'm sure someone will weigh in with more info. I'd buy those, especially since they appear to be good prices.

Charter 101 is good, not sure how it compares to other Charter expressions but I'd probably buy that too.

That Old Forester 86 is ok.  It's just basic bourbon from late 1990s - 2000 era.  

Charter 101 is a younger BT at higher proof.

The ceramic jug is nice as a curio.  I suppose it's possible the contents are alright.  You're rolling the dice.  I think a lot of those decanters and collectibles only had average juice to begin with. 

59 minutes ago, PaulO said:

That Old Forester 86 is ok.  It's just basic bourbon from late 1990s - 2000 era.  

The ceramic jug is nice as a curio.  I suppose it's possible the contents are alright.  You're rolling the dice.  I think a lot of those decanters and collectibles only had average juice to begin with. 

Much appreciated 

Darn we need more PaulO postings around here, blunt and to the point. Based on this posting and bottle pricing I'd get at least one OF and past on the rest.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:35 PM, bourbon4all said:

The 101 is a nice caramel bomb.  And by that I mean that I've never tasted anything with more caramel flavor.

It's really good if your in that mood.  Has a slightly young taste, but its still darn tasty.

Fun one to take with you to a group of "experienced" bourbon drinkers.  Nobody will guess it and most of them will be impressed.

Charter 101 is still currently produced, correct?  I bought a 750 of it recently for $19.99.  It bears the BT resemblance with youth and higher alcohol.  One of my favorite blends is to mix Charter 101 and Stagg Jr.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.