What cider are you drinking?

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It’s pretty cool you have family there. I’d be there every year if I had an excuse to!

Yeah definite benefit I’ve been trying to take advantage of.

I’m drinking the Eric Bordelet Brut Tendre again tonight after eating some Thai food. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to taste much after the spices in the food, but the cider is actually tasting really appley and delicious. I’m probably missing much of the nuance but it’s still very enjoyable.

IMG_1716.JPG

• I like it 1

Glad I’m not the only one. It seems to be happening to me more as I get older...

You're still a youngster...of course Stu would say the same about me. I've got to seek out some of these ciders y'all keep enjoying in this thread.

You're still a youngster...of course Stu would say the same about me. I've got to seek out some of these ciders y'all keep enjoying in this thread.

If you go on the cider hunt in Memphis, let us know what you find! Most of the ones I’ve been drinking seem to be coming in though smaller importers so I wouldn’t be surprised if the availability is different in each area of the country.
  • I like it 1

I’m drinking the Eric Bordelet Brut Tendre again tonight after eating some Thai food. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to taste much after the spices in the food, but the cider is actually tasting really appley and delicious. I’m probably missing much of the nuance but it’s still very enjoyable.

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.be38706063feab5b0f9e33dba720c025.JPG

Whoever the importer is for Eric Bordelet they know there stuff. The local NASA just brought a few bottles of the 35yr Old Calvados. Well out of my price range. I’m hoping my father-in-law kept some of his “moonshine” apple brandy when I make it back.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:47 PM, HoustonNit said:

Whoever the importer is for Eric Bordelet they know there stuff. The local NASA just brought a few bottles of the 35yr Old Calvados. Well out of my price range. I’m hoping my father-in-law kept some of his “moonshine” apple brandy when I make it back.

Yeah it's unfortunate that those calvados that Bordelet bottled are so damn expensive. Not sure if you know (I've probably said it before) but those are all sourced from other local producers. He does make his own calvados and has been doing so for several years but to my knowledge he has not released any.

The ciders are obviously great as well. I can't find all of them here but I've had the Tendre, Brut Tendre, Argelette, Poire, and Poire Authentique and they were all great. They're not really funky ciders but they have huge apple flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

Pacory L’idéal Poiré Domfront

Smell: very fragrant with bright, sweet pear flesh with a hint of hay

Taste: sweet and then slightly tart pear and apple up front followed by a big, dark honey flavor

Finish: the honey note remains but the tannins also get some grip here and it is very much like pear skins

Overall: this is a very delicious and unique Poiré. It is much less floral and more cider-like than other poires but manages to retain the pear essence. That deep honey note on the palate and finish is hauntingly good. The only thing holding it back is that it comes across as being on the sweeter side, but that’s minor criticism.

A00092D3-F508-45BE-ADD1-E2676386E66E.jpeg

Edited by Kpiz

I had the Daufresne Poiré with dinner last night. It may have just been my bottle but it had very little carbonation and was only meh on flavor. I’ll probably try this one again at some point to see if I just had a bum bottle but I’m not overly optimistic. I think I have a bottle of their cider at home as well, hopefully that one is at least a little better.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a pretty hot day here and a cold poiré sounded most excellent when I got home from work. This one comes from Christian Drouin of mainly Calvados fame. Their domaine is located in the Domfront region which is known for its pears; calvados from the region must contain at least 30% pears to carry the appellation’s name. These pears are mostly little round things that look like apples but they are quite distinctly pear-like in flavor, at least based on the poiré I’ve had.

Domaine de Christian Drouin Poiré

This smells like a mix of apples and pear skins. Very inviting.

Both tart and sweet pears are immediately apparent on the palate. No real funk here but that’s ok, I don’t think that’s what they’re going for. The sweetness fades a bit and the tannic pear skins creep in. The tannins and tartness remain through the finish, leaving my mouth slightly dry but also watering for another sip. Carbonation is strong.

This is a straight-forward but excellent and very balanced poiré. It actually reminds me of the Bordelet Poiré l’Authentique. I’ll definitely buy this one again and save it for another hot day.

Also, huge bonus points to the producer for including the pear varieties on the label (plant de blanc, muscadet, tricotin, avenelle, and poire de gris)

676D7790-FAFD-47F5-AB6D-2CB69F7E919F.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 1 year later...

Been a bit quiet here. I’ll be visiting Christian Drouin in a few weeks. Intend to sample and pick up several ciders/poire and a bottle of Calvados. I seem to go more for the poire and drier more earth ones. My doctor told me based on some tests I’m likely have a gluten intolerance so may be trying more ciders and less beer.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, Kpiz said:

IMG_1716.JPG

@Kpiz, sorry I'm a month late on the response to this. I absolutely LOVE that brand of cider, but I haven't seen it in the East Bay in quite a while. Where did you manage to find it, if I am ask? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.