Peerless

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried the new Peerless Rye? I got a bottle as a gift last night. Haven't tried it yet. I like a lot about what they're doing, although the price seems brutal for what it is

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got around to opening this. I will say that this was better than I expected. I tend to have low expectations of most crafty young whiskey. But, this does not have nearly the rough edges I am accustomed to for other young rye. No acetone notes like the 2 year bottlings of Willett as an example. It was also very rich relative to the expectations, which I liked. It does not have the dill/mint profile that is so distinctive of the ubiquitous MGP rye.

Now, the value discussion is something different. The bottle is really cool in my opinion. Heavy, unique shape, looks good sitting in a bar (I don't really have a bar, but, you know, it would look good on one). Unique profile. But, I think they charged like $125..... This was a gift so I'm free to just say the whiskey in my glass is pretty decent, but I would never pay $125 for this. With a few more years on it? Maybe, as the starting point shows a lot of promise 

So would you say that it's good. It not worth the 100+ it's demanding and just wait for longer aged stuff? It's going to be affordable. Guessing a 10 year will be priced at 500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chi-Town said:

So would you say that it's good. It not worth the 100+ it's demanding and just wait for longer aged stuff? It's going to be affordable. Guessing a 10 year will be priced at 500+

God I hope not. Not sure what to think about the pricing of this first batch. Are they charging a higher than normal price just because it is their innuagural release and they view it as a collectible bottle? Doing an initial cash grab to help themselves recoup some of their investment faster? I certainly don't think any 10 year old American whiskey is worth $500. Hopefully Peerless will be realistic and properly benchmark their product quality and pricing against other distilleries in similar situations. Again I'd use Willett as the best example. When Willett launched there 2 year rye and then their 3 year, they priced them about the same, and I think around $35-40 in my area. I do think this stuff is better than the Willett 2 year rye but not 3x+ the price better. But the market will tell them if they are pricing it right eventually, supply & demand

God I hope not. Not sure what to think about the pricing of this first batch. Are they charging a higher than normal price just because it is their innuagural release and they view it as a collectible bottle? Doing an initial cash grab to help themselves recoup some of their investment faster? I certainly don't think any 10 year old American whiskey is worth $500. Hopefully Peerless will be realistic and properly benchmark their product quality and pricing against other distilleries in similar situations. Again I'd use Willett as the best example. When Willett launched there 2 year rye and then their 3 year, they priced them about the same, and I think around $35-40 in my area. I do think this stuff is better than the Willett 2 year rye but not 3x+ the price better. But the market will tell them if they are pricing it right eventually, supply & demand

I hope so. I actually have found the younger Willett Ryes to be Meh.

I just got a bottle of the 5 year and that's promising and has a nice minty profile.

I'm looking forward to much older stuff to come

• 2 years later...

Well,  I finally went and sprung for the Peerless Rye.    The Pennsy state stores have been offering for the last year a 2-year single barrel for $125,  and they've just now stocked a 3-year small batch for $95.    A  year's worth of curiousity finally got the better of me and my wallet. 

I have to say it's doggone good.    It's balanced (which I had hoped to be the case with a small batch) and offers an initial kick of rye spice followed by a finish of graham cracker.    It's grain forward as I'd expect a young craft whiskey to be,  but lacks the harshness and grassiness that ruins some craft bourbons for me.    Is it worth the C-note?    Well,  I'll put it this way -  I don't regret the purchase and am happy to have it in my rotation with my other two open rye bottles (Willett and JD single barrel).     Those three should make for an interesting blind tasting. 

• I like it 4

• 2 months later...

Wife just told me (while we were in bed listening to “old time radio” and playing with our iPads, that Peerless bourbon has been declared by somebody on realclearpolitics as the best bourbon in the world.  After a fractious exchange which ended with me and my pillow decamping to the tv room, i was unable to find said declaration.

BUT - after reading a bunch of SB comments about Peerless Distilling, maybe I need to waste about $70 on a bottle.  PLEASE talk me out of this!!!!

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Wife just told me (while we were in bed listening to “old time radio” and playing with our iPads,...

So, that’s what you kids call “it” now... :D

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

So, that’s what you kids call “it” now... :D

Kids?  Uh, “it” to me nowadays is Italian sweet vermouth when added to Bombay Sapphire 1:1 to make a gin and It.   At my age, sitting on a bench with other old fahts trying to remember what girls are for, girls being any female under 60yo, is a group project.  Why do you think I spend so much time on SB. Bwahahaha!!!

• I like it 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:16 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

BUT - after reading a bunch of SB comments about Peerless Distilling, maybe I need to waste about $70 on a bottle.  PLEASE talk me out of this!!!!

On 12/18/2019 at 7:23 AM, Galvin0791 said:

If you really want to be talked out of it then all you need is first consider the source it comes from. “Insidehook”???? What the hell is that? A bunch of blog puff pieces as best I can tell. Puhleeeeze, give me a break!

Then consider the content of said article. early on it says, and I quote: “The hooch (quite the technical term they use there...) is barreled (meaning barrel entry proof) at a high 107 proof”. High Barrel entry proof??? WTF??? If I wasn’t smelling pure BS before I sure as hell am now!

I didn’t even need to bother to keep reading after that. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of cutting it down and putting it in the barrel at a relatively LOW barrel entry proof. Does Peerless make an interesting and so far fairly decent tasting bourbon bottled at a higher proof with some decent age for a craft distiller? Sure, it was ok and perhaps has some further potential with time. Is it worth $120+ like they were initially charging for the rye? Hell no. It it worth $90? $80? Or even a mere $70???? Not to me especially with what New Riff is doing at around $50 (which is still pretty damned high I might add!). 

Find some way to try it before you buy and then you can decide what it is worth to you! Come to the spring sampler and if there isn’t one on the gazebo table I will buy one myself for you!

Hell, it’s not as if I haven’t overspent on overpriced ”craft” whiskey before... ?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If you really want to be talked out of it then all you need is first consider the source it comes from. “Insidehook”???? What the hell is that? A bunch of blog puff pieces as best I can tell. Puhleeeeze, give me a break!

Then consider the content of said article. early on it says, and I quote: “The hooch (quite the technical term they use there...) is barreled (meaning barrel entry proof) at a high 107 proof”. High Barrel entry proof??? WTF??? If I wasn’t smelling pure BS before I sure as hell am now!

I didn’t even need to bother to keep reading after that. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of cutting it down and putting it in the barrel at a relatively LOW barrel entry proof. Does Peerless make an interesting and so far fairly decent tasting bourbon bottled at a higher proof with some decent age for a craft distiller? Sure, it was ok and perhaps has some further potential with time. Is it worth $120+ like they were initially charging for the rye? Hell no. It it worth $90? $80? Or even a mere $70???? Not to me especially with what New Riff is doing at around $50 (which is still pretty damned high I might add!). 

Find some way to try it before you buy and then you can decide what it is worth to you! Come to the spring sampler and if there isn’t one on the gazebo table I will buy one myself for you!

Hell, it’s not as if I haven’t overspent on overpriced ”craft” whiskey before... ?

Um, Mr. T has been reading my mind, and this rant is spot on.  So, THX,  PLUS, I was deep into EC BP B519 when I posed the question, and my defenses were down.  In the bright light of day which is when I enter liquor stores, this is an easy pass.

Nevertheless, if I could cadge a taste . . .

I tried a taste of it last November, I think it was, at Julio's while I was passing through.

I've forgotten what it tasted like.

So there you go. It's forgettable.

• I like it 2

On 12/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Um, Mr. T has been reading my mind, and this rant is spot on.  So, THX,  PLUS, I was deep into EC BP B519 when I posed the question, and my defenses were down.  In the bright light of day which is when I enter liquor stores, this is an easy pass.

Nevertheless, if I could cadge a taste . . .

Next time you're in Louisville,  I know liquor barn and some other stores sell 200ml "taster" bottles of the bourbon for $20.

Yes, I can do math, but I'm just mentioning that it is an available option, should you wish to taste it for a reasonable cost.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.