Bottled In Bond VS Single Barrel

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which do you prefer? Is this even a fair comparison? I know BIB must be 100 proof and Four years old. Single barrel can be much less than 100 proof but could be years older.  I am starting to try both, mostly of those widely available . I just got the Beam BIB and was surprised how good it was. How would it compare to a Beam single barrel? I haven't tried that yet. I see Evan Williams single barrel on the shelves around here. As far as price would you expect BIB to come at a lower price? What are your favorites in each?  Of the big makers, do you have a favorite line, or do you like, for example Beam BIB but prefer EW single barrel? I would also think BIB would get you the same taste every time while single barrel could be very hit and miss.

I like Henry McKenna 10 year Single Barrel Bottled in Bond.  It is both.

In general I like both and think they mostly occupy totally separate places in the market.  Most of the standard BIBs are value oriented, and excellent quality for the price.  Most of the single barrels I own are barrel proof and/or a store pick or private selection.  Both categories are great, but I would get bored drinking only one or the other.

That's like asking whether red or blue labels are better.

BIB have to be at least 4 years old but can be more.

The only thing you can probably say about them is the sb probably had more variability between bottles, and the SB probably has a higher cost overhead for bottling.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I look for different things from each.  In a BIB, my expectation is a specific flavor profile from the brand - consistency.  I'm not sure dollar for dollar it gets much better than HH6yrBIB (although honestly, the HH6yr 90 proof is pretty tasty too - but I'd splurge the extra $1.5 or $2 for the BIB if given the chance).  In most single barrels, I'm now looking for the outliers - something unique or interesting.  I enjoy things like ETL which are a single barrel by definition, and at least when I was buying them retail - were fairly consistent.  From things like SAOS or private store picks of non-SB labels (like EC, BT, etc), I'm looking for either something that intensely represents the label (typical flavors, but turned up to 11) or something that isn't totally different, but an interesting departure.  

Good post. Think I might try and set up a tasting of evan williams BIB, EWSB, and HM10 (which i love).  All three have that heaven hill DNA, be interesting to compare them side by side. 

9 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Good post. Think I might try and set up a tasting of evan williams BIB, EWSB, and HM10 (which i love).  All three have that heaven hill DNA, be interesting to compare them side by side. 

I like that idea!  My guess on a conclusion would be that there will be a certain recognition of that HH DNA, but the differences between the 3 will be remarkable. Let us know how it comes out.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I like that idea!  My guess on a conclusion would be that there will be a certain recognition of that HH DNA, but the differences between the 3 will be remarkable. Let us know how it comes out.

I think it's pretty remarkable how different even the different HH BIB offerings taste, most recently had HH6BIB, JWD, JTSB, and EW and each brought something different to the table.

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I think it's pretty remarkable how different even the different HH BIB offerings taste, most recently had HH6BIB, JWD, JTSB, and EW and each brought something different to the table.

I agree with you 100 % Kevin. Whether accidental or on purpose, I did notice that you didn't mention the HM 10 yr SB BIB. FWIW, I would have left that one out too. All you folks here that love the HM BIB, please don't be haters on me. :mellow: Everyone's palate and tastes are different. Mine included.

When I first got started here on SB, I tried a whole bunch of different things. Among those, several HH products. I must admit that I didn't get the HH "citrus" flavor/taste that many members here alluded to. Then I bought a bottle of HM BIB. I had my first pour from that bottle, and the citrus flavor was there in no uncertain terms. Then I noticed it in EC12, EWSB, and a couple of others. I soon realized that I didn't particularly care for the citrus flavor. Fast forward. I've now developed a strong liking for BIB's. (Second only to my love of wheaters.) ;) More specifically HH BIB's. That's the confusing part. I don't care all that much for most other HH products, but I love their BIB's. Go figure.  :huh:

Cheers! Joe

On 7/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I agree with you 100 % Kevin. Whether accidental or on purpose, I did notice that you didn't mention the HM 10 yr SB BIB. FWIW, I would have left that one out too. All you folks here that love the HM BIB, please don't be haters on me. :mellow: Everyone's palate and tastes are different. Mine included.

When I first got started here on SB, I tried a whole bunch of different things. Among those, several HH products. I must admit that I didn't get the HH "citrus" flavor/taste that many members here alluded to. Then I bought a bottle of HM BIB. I had my first pour from that bottle, and the citrus flavor was there in no uncertain terms. Then I noticed it in EC12, EWSB, and a couple of others. I soon realized that I didn't particularly care for the citrus flavor. Fast forward. I've now developed a strong liking for BIB's. (Second only to my love of wheaters.) ;) More specifically HH BIB's. That's the confusing part. I don't care all that much for most other HH products, but I love their BIB's. Go figure.  :huh:

Cheers! Joe

I actually love HM BIB but left it out because of the older age statement, not really an apples to apples, I suppose neither is HH6 BIB but honestly I find JWD BIB tastes like it has more maturation to me.  Another good SBS I have done in the past is HH6 BIB FC 6 yr and EB 7yr, again really different animals even though in theory they are the same liquid at around the same age.

I have found a few good single barrel bottles that I like, but when it comes to bottled in bond the only brand I keep returning to are the EH Taylor line.  There are a few other single barrel bourbons I am still looking forward to trying, but as far as BiB I will stick to this one.

Taylor.jpg

This all gets me thinking, dangerous, is Four Roses Single Barrel technically Bottled in Bond? As a single barrel it is clearly from a single distilling season one can assume and it is 100 proof so....

5 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

I have found a few good single barrel bottles that I like, but when it comes to bottled in bond the only brand I keep returning to are the EH Taylor line.  There are a few other single barrel bourbons I am still looking forward to trying, but as far as BiB I will stick to this one.

Taylor.jpg

Everyone's got a different palate but I can honestly say I prefer HM BIB to CEHT, and on most days I might take Dant and JB BIB over it as well. Obviously there is no right or wrong here but I will say why limit yourself especially considering the price range most BIB whiskeys fall into in comparison to CEHT

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This all gets me thinking, dangerous, is Four Roses Single Barrel technically Bottled in Bond? As a single barrel it is clearly from a single distilling season one can assume and it is 100 proof so....

This came up a year or two ago, and the general consensus was that it meets the requirements but Four Roses wasn't interested in getting official BIB approval or advertising it as such.  My guess is that:

A.) They like their labels and marketing as is.

B.) BIB in recent history has largely been a VFM proposition.  E.H. Taylor has been the first broadly successful super premium / luxury BIB product line to be broadly available outside of some special releases from HH.

6 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

This came up a year or two ago, and the general consensus was that it meets the requirements but Four Roses wasn't interested in getting official BIB approval or advertising it as such.  My guess is that:

A.) They like their labels and marketing as is.

B.) BIB in recent history has largely been a VFM proposition.  E.H. Taylor has been the first broadly successful super premium / luxury BIB product line to be broadly available outside of some special releases from HH.

Any chance you have a link to this discussion, I would be interested in reading through it.

9 minutes ago, Theiano said:

Any chance you have a link to this discussion, I would be interested in reading through it.

I do not, sorry.

2 hours ago, jbutler said:

The search facility is your friend.

Nice work, jbutler.  It seems you have learned your way around SB quite well.  Keep this up and the proprietor may nominate you for BOTY.  What's your favorite bourbon?  

;)

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice work, jbutler.  It seems you have learned your way around SB quite well.  Keep this up and the proprietor may nominate you for BOTY.  What's your favorite bourbon?  

;)

His favorite bourbon is whatever we're having. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

43 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

His favorite bourbon is whatever we're having. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

LOL. Yeah, and your favorite website is whatever I'm hosting, right?

In all seriousness, I've been going for HH 6YO BIB more often than not lately, and that has nothing to do with the BOTM. Value proposition aside it's a superb bourbon, and my "current" favorite.

4 minutes ago, jbutler said:

Ya' got me there Boss. :unsure:

Cheers! Joe

Yessir, I do like me some HH6 just like a bunch of ya'. :P

Cheers! Joe

hh6.jpeg

35 minutes ago, jbutler said:

In all seriousness, I've been going for HH 6YO BIB more often than not lately, and that has nothing to do with the BOTM. Value proposition aside it's a superb bourbon, and my "current" favorite.

Can you get that in CA or do you bring it back from Sampler weekend?

8 hours ago, jbutler said:

That's ridiculous.  It doesn't even come in a decorative wooden box.  I don't see how it can be any good.  Get yourself that Orphan Barrel 6 pack instead.  Buy once, cry once I always say.  

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Buy once, cry once I always say.  

My  experience has been more like this:

'Buy once, cry for a good long time; every time I look at the darned overpriced turd on my shelf, and think about what far-better pours could be taking up that shelf space'. 

Further note: I have eventually learned not to jump on these types of hyped offerings, though it took a toll on my wallet to gain that knowledge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.