Older Whiskey That is Reasonably Attained

EarthQuake
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a fan of older Bourbons and Ryes. I figured it would be fun to start making a list of 10+ year old bottles that one may be able to realistically find at retail (which means excluding BTAC, Pappy, etc). My qualifications are not that these bottles are particularly affordable nor good values (that's subjective anyway), just that you have a decent chance of finding them without paying an excessive markup. Let me know if there is one I've missed and I'll add it to the list!

Bourbon:

• Bulliet 10 year
  • Eagle Rare 10 year
  • Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 12 year
  • Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof store picks
  • Henry McKenna 10 year Single Barrel
  • I.W. Harper 15 year
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel store picks
  • Orphan Barrel: Barterhouse 20, Forged Oak 15, Rhetoric 20-23,  etc
  • Rebel Yell 10 year Single Barrel
  • Russell's Reserve 10 year
  • Weller 12 year
  • Wild Turkey 17
  • Wild Turkey Decades
  • Wild Turkey Diamond

Rye

• Lock Stock & Barrel 13 year
  • Lock Stock & Barrel 16 year
  • Whistlepig 10 year standard and barrel proof store pick
  • Whistlepig 12 year Old World

Other

• High West Bourye - not always a 10 year but generally the youngest of the blend is 9 years, with some 16-17 year as well

Edited by EarthQuake

2 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Bulleit 10 bourbon comes to mind right off the bat.

Thanks, I knew I had to be missing some obvious ones!

3 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Thanks, I knew I had to be missing some obvious ones!

You probably aren't missing many others.  Hell, there aren't many other age-stated options out there anymore.

Edited by dcbt

Smooth Ambler 10 is still generally around. Some of the Barrell releases. Michter's 10 bourbon + Rye. 

The rye list is really sad isn't it? If you're going to include the WPs and the LSBs you might as well include the Hochstadter's 16 which is closely related

There are several on your bourbon list that are not easy to find in my area, several of them I've never even seen. I.W. Harper 15, Rhetoric 20-23 and Rebel Yell 10 yr SB are seldom if ever seen in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

There are several on your bourbon list that are not easy to find in my area, several of them I've never even seen. I.W. Harper 15, Rhetoric 20-23 and Rebel Yell 10 yr SB are seldom if ever seen in these parts.

Yes, this gets somewhat problematic. I can't find anything Weller in my area but I know it's very common in Texas for instance. It's not too hard for me to find Orphan Barrel stuff if I go to Chicago. It's difficult to nail this down so that it applies to all regions, that would be a short list I think. So I've gone with what various people may be able to reasonably find based on what I've seen, what people on this site post, etc.

Also, while I can't find much of this list locally (we don't get much outside of the typical bottlings here), I can find a lot of it at or near retail on various online retailers. Some of which even ship to my state! So as long as you're willing to shop online, you may be able to find various bottles that you can't otherwise get. You can get Harper 15 from various sites for instance.

Edited by EarthQuake

Yes, this gets somewhat problematic. I can't find anything Weller in my area but I know it's very common in Texas for instance. It's not too hard for me to find Orphan Barrel stuff if I go to Chicago. It's difficult to nail this down so that it applies to all regions, that would be a short list I think. So I've gone with what various people may be able to reasonably find based on what I've seen, what people on this site post, etc.

Also, while I can't find much of this list locally (we don't get much outside of the typical bottlings here), I can find a lot of it at or near retail on various online retailers. Some of which even ship to my state! So as long as you're willing to shop online, you may be able to find various bottles that you can't otherwise get. You can get Harper 15 from various sites for instance.

All good points, however, in regards to online shopping, I don't believe Liquors can be shipped into Tennessee.

I think "reasonably obtained" would give the impression that a large proportion of people have relatively easy access to it (at a reasonable price). In this case I would pretty much eliminate Weller 12, even in Texas they seem to struggle to find it these days, and most comments on here indicate people see it very rarely if at all.

Also Elijah Craig Barrel proof is borderline, it is fairly difficult to find, but probably more attainable, I would say you still might even have as much a chance at finding an EC12 age stated on a random search through stores.

For the most part I agree with including bourbons that might be found in some states and not others, provided they are easily accessible in the one's they are found. I would specify U.S. though, I suppose if you were in Japan there may be some age stated Wild Turkeys etc. that you could find easily enough.

What a great list though, albeit somewhat disheartening to see so few, makes me even more appreciative that there are gems like Henry McKenna 10 year out there.

Elijah Craig NAS is easy to find, reasonably priced; but ranges in age from 11+ years old, down to around 8-years, I believe. 

Not sure if you'd want to include it since it isn't necessarily 10-years old.     For my taste buddies, very little change has been noted in the few bottles  of NAS I've opened.     What little I did note was actually an improvement IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Elijah Craig NAS is easy to find, reasonably priced; but ranges in age from 11+ years old, down to around 8-years, I believe. 

Not sure if you'd want to include it since it isn't necessarily 10-years old.     For my taste buddies, very little change has been noted in the few bottles  of NAS I've opened.     What little I did note was actually an improvement IMHO.

Actually I meant the older age stated bottles with the big red 12 on the front, or on the back, there are still some here and there (I was semi-joking).

However now that I think of it there are store pick Elijah craig out there many of which are probably over 10 years. You can include those in the list.

There must be a few other store picks that can be over ten years regularly, that we probably haven't thought of.

Some single barrels of Belle Meade and OKI (both sourced from MGP) are 10+ years, but I think their distribution is limited, especially OKI. Some of the batches of Barrell Bourbon and Barrell Whiskey are 10+ years, but those are also somewhat limited distribution and expensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.