Experiences with the boom in the Heart of Dixie?

Insanityabounds
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all, I recently found this forum and have been gobbling up info and reading others experiences with gusto. I dont see a lot of posts about experiences in the deep south. I live near Birmingham, AL and if you are not aware AL is a controll state. I feel like my area and Montgomery, Huntsville and Mobile are all pretty much good Bourbon deserts. Any and all BT products are distributed one per customer from behind the Counter. We get no EC private selections and ECBP is a ghost. Most good Heaven Hill products are pretty hard to find actually. Ive noticed EWSB is about 7 years old now and the price has gone up 10 to 15 %. Bookers is getting bought up faster at $70 than $60 as far as I can tell. Things like Rittenhouse BiB dissapear for months on end and finding a regular bottling of Buffalo Trace is almost as likely as finding a CEHTBP or some other more allocated BT product. Never seen a RY10 and havent seen a RHF in probably two years. I talked to an ABC employee recently, (not a clerk), and she was telling me about 40-45% of all allocated products will never make it to the shelf in Alabama, that one made me pretty mad. I could go on but it gets monotonous. Any of yall having different experiences? Cheers. 

Go get yourself a case of Virgin 7yr 101, put one in the fridge, and be happy!

BTW, I picked up a WT Tradition in Decatur a few weeks back, so LE's can still be found years after release.  

But yeah, Bama bourbon selection is pretty bleak in general.  So, ROAD TRIP!!  :D

That's some sage advice from Joe.

It seems to me from reading posts of other control state residents - there is usually a web site.  You may be able to find out what's in the pipeline and where it goes.  Maybe you can put your name on a list.  It doesn't hurt to ask. 

I wonder if the 40-45% that never makes it to the shelf goes to bars and restaurants?

On 8/6/2017 at 0:00 PM, Insanityabounds said:

Hi all, I recently found this forum and have been gobbling up info and reading others experiences with gusto. I dont see a lot of posts about experiences in the deep south. I live near Birmingham, AL and if you are not aware AL is a controll state. I feel like my area and Montgomery, Huntsville and Mobile are all pretty much good Bourbon deserts. Any and all BT products are distributed one per customer from behind the Counter. We get no EC private selections and ECBP is a ghost. Most good Heaven Hill products are pretty hard to find actually. Ive noticed EWSB is about 7 years old now and the price has gone up 10 to 15 %. Bookers is getting bought up faster at $70 than $60 as far as I can tell. Things like Rittenhouse BiB dissapear for months on end and finding a regular bottling of Buffalo Trace is almost as likely as finding a CEHTBP or some other more allocated BT product. Never seen a RY10 and havent seen a RHF in probably two years. I talked to an ABC employee recently, (not a clerk), and she was telling me about 40-45% of all allocated products will never make it to the shelf in Alabama, that one made me pretty mad. I could go on but it gets monotonous. Any of yall having different experiences? Cheers. 

Easy solution to your problem.  Move to Kentucky. :)

You guys have OF Signature on most shelves. Joe hit another with the Virgin 101-a little rough neat but nice on ice. You're right about the BT brands being very rare on the shelves? Maybe that Bama football team pissed off the whiskey gods in KY?

On occasion something will pop up. I've found the WT LEs sit on the shelves for years. I recently found GD hand select at $36 which is about $10 less than most. Never had a brag find on my trips through.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Easy solution to your problem.  Move to Kentucky. :)

Most of his challenges look to be about the same as ours, here.  I really don't see how moving would help much!  :lol:

22 hours ago, FacePlant said:

You guys have OF Signature on most shelves. Joe hit another with the Virgin 101-a little rough neat but nice on ice. You're right about the BT brands being very rare on the shelves? Maybe that Bama football team pissed off the whiskey gods in KY?

On occasion something will pop up. I've found the WT LEs sit on the shelves for years. I recently found GD hand select at $36 which is about $10 less than most. Never had a brag find on my trips through.

I plan on trying the OF 1920 soon, has gotten some pretty good praise and its available. Seems like most WT and Brown Forman stuff is available. WTMK17 sat on the shelves for a long while! In fact one store recently pulled out cases of it and put it "on sale" for 139.99. Lol. Decades has arrived as well now. We got a couple decent FRSiB private picks but only one is right. The others are much too young for my liking. Ive been told that the ABC has some 1792 Full Proof private selections coming in soon and I am looking forward to trying that. I try to shop in the ABC stores mostly because of the price difference between them and private stores. Most private stores here charge anywhere from 20-50% more per bottle than the ABC and they usually have less offerings....unless you get out in the country. Then you can find some dusties. I did find ECBP on the sheleves at an ABC yesterday. Had two or three cases of it on the shelves which hasnt happend in years far as I recall. Id like to get another bottle of StaggJr or a bottle of CEHTBP but as I said, BT products are all non existent in Birmingham. 

On 8/6/2017 at 11:22 AM, smokinjoe said:

Go get yourself a case of Virgin 7yr 101, put one in the fridge, and be happy!

BTW, I picked up a WT Tradition in Decatur a few weeks back, so LE's can still be found years after release.  

But yeah, Bama bourbon selection is pretty bleak in general.  So, ROAD TRIP!!  :D

Lol, yep. Wild Turkey LEs sit for years sometimes in Bama. Has been good for me at times. Im just not a huge WT fan. We have a WTKS ABC store pick that is pretty good but the QPR is iffy at over $50. I stop in a few stores i like in Atl and Pensacola when Im around. 

On 8/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, PaulO said:

It seems to me from reading posts of other control state residents - there is usually a web site.  You may be able to find out what's in the pipeline and where it goes.  Maybe you can put your name on a list.  It doesn't hurt to ask. 

I wonder if the 40-45% that never makes it to the shelf goes to bars and restaurants?

We do have a website but they dont give any info on when products or arriving nor do they do lists. The former is considered "advertising" which is illegal apparently and the latter contradicts their "first come first serve" policy. Most of the allocated products show up at two or three stores within about 25 miles of me. Problem is getting some of the super small allocation that a store got. Gotta be in the know or lucky. They wouldnt say where the 40% goes but I assume distributors, bars/resturants and politicians. 

On 8/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, PaulO said:

As most posters here can attest from my posts and others Va is an ABC state.The last time I was in my neighborhood store the asst mgr surmised that I was a serious bourbon drinker and after talking a bit asked me if I wanted to be put on their private list. She got my name and number and said they'd call when they got in something good. I'm still waiting for that call. :D

On 8/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, PaulO said:

Most likely to some rotten ass politician!

53 minutes ago, Mule Skinner said:

Most likely to some rotten ass politician!

Lol, thats exactly what I said! Our Governor and former AG now Senator where/are corrupt as hell, the ABC being so isnt far fetched. One of the ABC Chairmen is also one of the largest liquor/beer distributors in AL. Smh. 

Sounds like y'all have it worse than we do in SC. Anything BT one per just about. Hardly ever see E H Taylor. Weller green label every now and again. People drive all over town on a Blantons rumor. 

I decided to go against local herd mentality. I've been able to bunker 4 Elijah Craig barrel proof B517. There are three shops w/ four roses barrels. Evan single barrel is still $21 and McKenna 10 easy to find. In the NFL, they say the best ability is availability. I agree when it comes to bourbon. I dont really care how good weller 12 is if I cant get ahold of it. 

21 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Sounds like y'all have it worse than we do in SC. Anything BT one per just about. Hardly ever see E H Taylor. Weller green label every now and again. People drive all over town on a Blantons rumor. 

I decided to go against local herd mentality. I've been able to bunker 4 Elijah Craig barrel proof B517. There are three shops w/ four roses barrels. Evan single barrel is still $21 and McKenna 10 easy to find. In the NFL, they say the best ability is availability. I agree when it comes to bourbon. I dont really care how good weller 12 is if I cant get ahold of it. 

Sounds like yall have it bout like us. We also have some FRSiB ABC picks but only one is really good and at $60 the QPR for the others is wack. We dont get things like McKenna here which is sad. We dont get a lot of good HH products. Hell, we just dont get a lot of good Bourbon period. Whats aggravating about is HH and BT where pretty much all I drank pre bubble, now its hard to do. There is a "Bourbon Group" in B'ham that does coordinated scouting at the three main ABC's that get all the allocated products. They know when the trucks show amd they are there to see whats on em. If one finds something good he calls/texts the rest and it will all be gone in less than an hour. So basically the same 20 or so people buy most of the allocated producta for our area. Unbelievable. 

Edited by Insanityabounds

8 hours ago, Insanityabounds said:

Sounds like yall have it bout like us. We also have some FRSiB ABC picks but only one is really good and at $60 the QPR for the others is wack. We dont get things like McKenna here which is sad. We dont get a lot of good HH products. Hell, we just dont get a lot of good Bourbon period. Whats aggravating about is HH and BT where pretty much all I drank pre bubble, now its hard to do. There is a "Bourbon Group" in B'ham that does coordinated scouting at the three main ABC's that get all the allocated products. They know when the trucks show amd they are there to see whats on em. If one finds something good he calls/texts the rest and it will all be gone in less than an hour. So basically the same 20 or so people buy most of the allocated producta for our area. Unbelievable. 

From reading this forum, you've undoubtedly noticed that nearly every geographic region of the US is represented, and nearly every one of the members in those regions have limitations on availability of certain brands from one degree to another in this bourbon boom period we are in.  However, you'll also notice that most find whatever they may be lacking with ingenuity, hard work, travel, and yes...spending some coin in those labors.  In short, expand your shopping zone.  A short couple hour trip to ATL and a few select stores would probably fill your trunk with most of what you seek.  If you don't feel like going to the expense and trouble for whiskey, I totally understand.  But, a solution to your problem is at hand for you.  

There is a bottle shop in town that will straight up lie to you. They have customers who spend 20k a year on wine and they save BTAC for those customers as 'thank yous' as well as the blantons and elmer. A new guy slipped up once and sold me a Blantons and the guy at the register gave buddy the stink eye ans tried to sell my Clyde Mays instead. 

Agree with the travel part. I'm going to jackson ga tomorrow to pick up my daughter from in laws and there are a couple honey holes along the way. Georgia always seems to have EH Taylor, and we never see it here. 

My daughter is going to school in Tuscaloosa.   Sounds like when I visit her that it won't be worth a trip to an ABC?  

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From reading this forum, you've undoubtedly noticed that nearly every geographic region of the US is represented, and nearly every one of the members in those regions have limitations on availability of certain brands from one degree to another in this bourbon boom period we are in.  However, you'll also notice that most find whatever they may be lacking with ingenuity, hard work, travel, and yes...spending some coin in those labors.  In short, expand your shopping zone.  A short couple hour trip to ATL and a few select stores would probably fill your trunk with most of what you seek.  If you don't feel like going to the expense and trouble for whiskey, I totally understand.  But, a solution to your problem is at hand for you.  

Thanks Joe! I was mostly just looking for some other Alabamians experiences because as you know, Im sure, different markets experience different things even within the same State. ATL is ok when I am there. Pensacola has more/better stuff imo. 

4 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

My daughter is going to school in Tuscaloosa.   Sounds like when I visit her that it won't be worth a trip to an ABC?  

Just depends. The ABC has good prices most of the time but not an awesome selection. It would be worth it imo as T-Town does get allocated products. 

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

There is a bottle shop in town that will straight up lie to you. They have customers who spend 20k a year on wine and they save BTAC for those customers as 'thank yous' as well as the blantons and elmer. A new guy slipped up once and sold me a Blantons and the guy at the register gave buddy the stink eye ans tried to sell my Clyde Mays instead. 

Agree with the travel part. I'm going to jackson ga tomorrow to pick up my daughter from in laws and there are a couple honey holes along the way. Georgia always seems to have EH Taylor, and we never see it here. 

Which shop is this? Name and shame. 

Look for the "Specialty" ABC stores in Alabama.  We do have better than average supply of certain middle shelf stuff (OFS), less interesting bottom shelf stuff, and mixed selections of top shelf stuff.  I'm still waiting for Alabama to order up more Dixie Dew, and some other stuff that I haven't seen in a while.  I'm close enough to stop in Nashvilles stores...on my agenda for tomorrow in fact!

28 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

Look for the "Specialty" ABC stores in Alabama.  We do have better than average supply of certain middle shelf stuff (OFS), less interesting bottom shelf stuff, and mixed selections of top shelf stuff.  I'm still waiting for Alabama to order up more Dixie Dew, and some other stuff that I haven't seen in a while.  I'm close enough to stop in Nashvilles stores...on my agenda for tomorrow in fact!

Love the Dixie Dew.  Couple bottles stashed away.  But, it's discontinued, unfortunately.  

I've had some luck on MS gulf coast with ECBP, and Stagg Jr. Both of which are tough to come by in my neck of the woods. 

56 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Love the Dixie Dew.  Couple bottles stashed away.  But, it's discontinued, unfortunately.  

Same here, but it looks like one of those brands that comes and goes?  Maybe if enough orders are collected, they whip up the final recipe from existing/aging stock, bottle and ship? 

12 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Is there any way to identify Specialty ABC stores other than walking thru the front door of each one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.