fishnbowljoe

BOTM 9/17: Basil Hayden's

Chuckles

My first sample of Basil Hayden's was purchased in a bar, and I didn't care for it. Later I got a bottle in a gift set (possibly with a Booker's), and didn't like it any better. I don't recall any off tastes, but can't remember the flavor well enough to describe why I didn't care for it. It's not the mashbill--I like a lot of ryes, and I like the other three Beam "small batches" quite a bit (I just love that "small batch" label for these brands that could fill Lake Michigan). Basil Hayden's really doesn't fit in this collection--ABV is too low, taste is too thin.; but I guess the high price fits the "small batch series" profile.

flahute
20 hours ago, Chuckles said:

It's not the mashbill--I like a lot of ryes, ......

Basil is not a rye.

tanstaafl2
16 hours ago, flahute said:

Basil is not a rye.

Until recently!

flahute
15 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Until recently!

True! This thread is about the bourbon though. Maybe Chuckles is thinking of the new rye?

tanstaafl2
2 minutes ago, flahute said:

True! This thread is about the bourbon though. Maybe Chuckles is thinking of the new rye?

Certainly possible to confuse the two if you don't look closely.

Richnimrod
5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Or, maybe he just was referring to the higher-than-average rye content in Basil Hayden's mash bill?   ;)

JTaylor

Don't really have too much to add that hasn't already been said... I found it just okay if not a bit watered down tasting... Not offensive really, just nothing there to justify the price beyond the aesthetics of the bottle... If I'm going to drink a Beam product, I much prefer KC 9yo 120° or Bookers. To me BH is the Coors Light of bourbon.  

Richnimrod
3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

To me BH is the Coors Light of bourbon.  

Heee-He!   That, my friend is a very apt description of BH.    I like your thinking, bud.  

I don't mind BH, I just don't reach for it all that often.    Maybe a couple times a year.     It's well made, and has a nice enough profile; but, just so under-powered; and, I don't just mean alcohol punch.     This brand needs an up-shelf cousin at something like Baker's proof: 107.     Of course in today's world, that would sell for about $75, so I'd probably still leave it on the shelf.

Chuckles

Oops. My post was sloppy. I know Basil Hayden is a bourbon. I was referring to its high rye mash bill.