Flying with 1oz samples of bourbon (boston round bottles)?

paradoxical3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This coming Thursday I will be flying home for a wedding and would like to bring three or four small boston round bottles of bourbon for some friends.  Obviously they are not in retail packaging as I have opened the retail bottle and repoured into the boston round bottles.  The bottles are 1oz sizes, but I am wondering if I will be able to bring them in my carry on luggage or if TSA will confiscate them?  Planning on bringing some heavy hitters so I will be pretty upset if I have to dump them out.  I am having trouble finding anything in the TSA guidelines.

Has anyone successfully done this before?

Thanks!

It should be fine as long as you put them in the right sort of plastic bag. The rule is that it has to be under 3.4oz per bottle, but there isn't a rule that it can't be alcohol as far as I'm aware.

One time I took a 3 pack of 50ml bottles of scotch through security on my carry on which I had purchased leaving London, I had to go through security again when I got to chicago for a connecting flight, and they were annoyed that it wasn't in a plastic bag but they let me keep it.

You're not allowed to drink alcohol not purchased from the airline on the plane, but carrying it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by EarthQuake

I typically refill empty brand name 50ml bottles with better-quality spirits of a similar color and have not had a problem with the TSA. I would think non-labeled mystery bottles might raise a red flag. In general, they don't blink an eye over standard 50ml bottles regardless of quantity. I cleared security with 72 bottles in a shopping bag on a trip last year-- the guard asked me if I was a "nervous flyer."

I do this regularly on business trips when I want to have a pour of something decent at the hotel.  Technically you're not allowed to bring anything over 140 proof on-board (even in a checked bag), but I've never seen TSA whip out a hydrometer :)  And while it is a rule with the airlines that you can't consume alcohol you don't buy from them - there's only a few of them and 100+ of you - so not too hard to not get caught if your careful.

You'll be fine as long as you follow the liquid packing guidelines.  1 oz bottles in a plastic bag are fine for carry on.  They shouldn't be phased enough ask what's in the bottles.  My wife's skin toner comes in 2 oz boston rounds. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.