Maine Distilleries

graftonbc1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and I are finishing up a mini vacation to Old Orchard Beach in Maine. Fabulous place, even in off season. The area (up to Portland) is famous for great beer, but there are a couple of distilleries that have started creating craft spirits. One is gaining recognition, Wiggly Bridge. The other is lesser known, New England Distilleries. We toured and tasted at both. 

Wiggly Bridge touts a high bourbon that is aged in #3 char for 22 months. It drank way too young for me. Very little heat at 90 proof and 38% rye. Honey/maple on the palate, but very little finish. 

The New England Distillery offered a wheaten (Tidewalker) that is quite new. It is quite good. Aged for 2 years in a #3 char, it drinks very similar to Woodford. It shows a longer finish that does give some spice on the finish. The star of the tasting was the Maryland style rye. Very complex with huge spicy fruit. It is great neat, but I can't wait to put it into a Sazerac. 

Well I'll worth the trip if you are in the New England area. 

• I like it 1

Thanks for the information. I'm a little less than 2 hours from Portland and will check them both out. I recently visited New England Sweetwater in Winchester, NH. They just opened two years ago and their bourbon was just bottled. My wife enjoyed their maple whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.