Sign in to follow this  
StraightorRocks

Journeyman

StraightorRocks

I wanted to reach and see if anyone has had anything from Journeyman in Michigan?  We fell in love with the distillery and their spirits.  Also curious as to what everyone thinks of the other comparisons from the Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois region.  I am also a fan of Few out of Chicago and a couple other craft distillers in the region.  I do recognize that these are more whiskey distillers and cannot be considered true bourbon distillers but still interested in everyones thoughts.  

Edited by StraightorRocks

silverc

I've had the Featherbone bourbon made by Journeyman. Didn't like it. Not surprisingly it tasted really young and needed a lot more time in the barrel. I also tried FEW's bourbon, and liked it enough to buy a bottle I saw on sale. The FEW bourbon had a bit more character, and despite it also tasting young, it didn't have an overwhelming "craft" type flavor that I typically avoid.

Some other Michigan bourbons to look out for are Traverse City (they have their small batch, port finish, and barrel proof), Valentine Distillery, and Two James. The Traverse City stuff is pretty good, but it's source for now (or at least what I have tried is sourced). I think some of their own distillate is available now too. I like to try to support the little guy as much as I can, but I won't buy crap just because it's local, so you sometimes have to be careful. Always good to try stuff before if possible. That saved me from buying the Journeyman Featherbone. They may have other stuff like the rye or wheat whiskey that are good, but I haven't had those.

If you are in the Chicago area there are plenty of places where you could try these and many others (Longman and Eagle, Delilah's, etc).

Edited by silverc

JNeff33

I’ve had quite a few releases from Journeyman, including both variations of their rye, which is my favorite. They changed it up from ravenswood to last feather a few years back. I recently picked up their wine barrel aged bourbon which I’m looking to open over the holidays.

As for the best in Michigan, I believe Traverse City Whiskey is the best. Their tasting room is spot on and they make a great product. New Holland, Two James and Valentine are all solid as stated earlier. Here is all that I have from Michigan, hope that helps.

973F9FB2-FF06-4701-8DC6-C5F7736231BC.jpeg

EarthQuake

I have a bottle of Journeyman Silver Cross Four Grain that is a special barrel proof (~120) bottling. I had signed up for a whiskey subscription to get a couple special bottles and forgot to cancel it before this arrived.

It's both over-oaked and underaged, if that makes sense. Raw grains, plus the nasty sour oak that you get when leaving a a vatting or batched cocktail in a mini oak barrel for too long. Not surprising on either front, as this is what, 6 months in 5 gallon barrels or so? Just goes to show there is no substitute for real age in a full sized barrel. Saying that, as far as craft whiskey goes it's fairly decent, just not very good relative to whiskey from the larger producers.