Jefferson's Presidential

mdband
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jefferson's ran out of good whiskey a long time ago. Everything they do now is a gimmick. I wouldn't trust a single thing they release at this point.

Jefferson’s Reserve, Jefferson’s Ocean and Ocean Cask Strength, and Jefferson’s Rum cask are all good pours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

Jefferson’s Reserve, Jefferson’s Ocean and Ocean Cask Strength, and Jefferson’s Rum cask are all good pours.

Hard disagree but to each there own. 

4 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Not a fan. Especially given the pricing. Remember that this is someone else's whiskey that they manipulate a little so they can charge you a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 4:29 AM, flahute said:

Not a fan. Especially given the pricing. Remember that this is someone else's whiskey that they manipulate a little so they can charge you a lot.

Correct, but again this does not make it bad Whiskey.  I am not a frequent purchaser of Jeffersons, as I feel their pricepoint often exceeds the value of the bourbon.  However, Ocean CS and the Rum cask both offer very unique flavor profiles and are excellent bourbons imho and I am glad I purchased them.   

Edited by GreggJ
  • I like it 2

I have a bottle that I have not cracked open yet.  Planning to open it in February.  (That is Jefferson's Reserve in the glass.)

_DX_1486_1000px.thumb.jpg.1859934fde32e2f4de133bcad0bfc4c1.jpg

5 hours ago, GreggJ said:

Correct, but again this does not make it bad Whiskey.  I am not a frequent purchaser of Jeffersons, as I feel their pricepoint often exceeds the value of the bourbon.  However, Ocean CS and the Rum cask both offer very unique flavor profiles and are excellent bourbons imho and I am glad I purchased them.   

I never said it was bad whiskey. Only that they ran out of really good whiskey a long time ago and that what they offer now is not worth the price. Kind of what you said.

Though I haven't had the rum cask I have had the Ocean and to me it's mediocre. Nothing special about it.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GreggJ said:

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

I never said it was bad whiskey. Only that they ran out of really good whiskey a long time ago and that what they offer now is not worth the price. Kind of what you said.

Though I haven't had the rum cask I have had the Ocean and to me it's mediocre. Nothing special about it.

I think the best offering I have had out of their releases the last couple years was Ocean Cask Strength, depending on the price you pay you could argue it is not a terrible value (I paid $75 but have seen it as high as $100). I'm glad someone likes that Rum Cask, me I don't like it one bit, I wanted to like it since I love both Bourbon and Rum, but I find my bottle incredibly bitter. If anyone finds themselves in NJ and wants a pour or 20 feel free to stop by and I would be happy to share!

57 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I think the best offering I have had out of their releases the last couple years was Ocean Cask Strength, depending on the price you pay you could argue it is not a terrible value (I paid $75 but have seen it as high as $100). I'm glad someone likes that Rum Cask, me I don't like it one bit, I wanted to like it since I love both Bourbon and Rum, but I find my bottle incredibly bitter. If anyone finds themselves in NJ and wants a pour or 20 feel free to stop by and I would be happy to share!

I might give it a shot at $75. It's about $130 here.

I didn’t have very high expectations for this bourbon, but I have a weak spot for trying new bourbons (even if they are a little pricey). I have to say it’s better than I expected it to be. The one thing I really like about it is the finish. It lingers for a long time, in a good way. I’m having a glass now after drinking a stout earlier. 

4C63704D-44C5-401F-902D-4DB69FD1588C.thumb.jpeg.b95d7d9c7ca21df1bc0c00e794964dd7.jpeg

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, flahute said:

The Oceans was decent the Oceans Cask Strength, however, I thought was really good.  To your point, I am also a little leery of Their offerings their provenances and the games they play to ratchet up the prices.  I have a friend that likes their stuff.  He thinks its unique and he likes to try new/different offerings, so there is a market with enthusiast such as him.  I usually end up sampling with him prior to a purchase.  My bottle of Rum Cask is very good.  Light rum / Vanilla flavor definitely a sweeter pour but, when in the mood it be quite good.  

I've got a bottle of Ocean 7 cask strength that I opened recently. It's... unique, downright weird even. I'm not an immediate fan, but I need to give it a chance. It was about $80.

13 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I've got a bottle of Ocean 7 cask strength that I opened recently. It's... unique, downright weird even. I'm not an immediate fan, but I need to give it a chance. It was about $80.

Let it breathe for a couple weeks.  Mine was "off" at first as well.  It rounded out and is a unique bourbon that I enjoy quite a bit. 

On 10/27/2017 at 4:49 PM, BFerguson said:

Key problem is the new ones, will be nothing like the old 17 and 18 yr releases, as they were SW distillate. And yes, like the previous folks said, quite dam good!

They were not SW distillate.

Edited by wadewood

On 1/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, GreggJ said:

Let it breathe for a couple weeks.  Mine was "off" at first as well.  It rounded out and is a unique bourbon that I enjoy quite a bit. 

It 'breathed' in the barrel for 16 years, opening and then closing to bottle is not going to make one bit of difference in 2 weeks.  Your palate does change all the time.

2 hours ago, wadewood said:

They were not SW distillate.

Um, I’m pretty confident that the 17 and 18 (early batches at least before blending saga) were indeed SW distillate. I’m really not sure that’s even a question at this point

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Um, I’m pretty confident that the 17 and 18 (early batches at least before blending saga) were indeed SW distillate. I’m really not sure that’s even a question at this point

They say on the label aged in SW barrels, it does not say distilled there.  When SW was winding down, they were trucking distillate from Bernheim, AA, and perhaps Medley to SW and barreling there, so there are barrels marked DSP-KY-16 that weren't actually distilled at SW, from dates before and after SW stopped producing.  To my taste, it's Bernheim and it's damn good bourbon.

And obvious latter batches of JPS 18 are clearly not all SW, based on fact owner said he mixed some ryed bourbon in mix.  Without changing the label.  They can't be trusted.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, wadewood said:

They say on the label aged in SW barrels, it does not say distilled there.  When SW was winding down, they were trucking distillate from Bernheim, AA, and perhaps Medley to SW and barreling there, so there are barrels marked DSP-KY-16 that weren't actually distilled at SW, from dates before and after SW stopped producing.  To my taste, it's Bernheim and it's damn good bourbon.

And obvious latter batches of JPS 18 are clearly not all SW, based on fact owner said he mixed some ryed bourbon in mix.  Without changing the label.  They can't be trusted.

Yes I know about the later 18 batch blending which is what I referred to with the “saga” comment. Your comments here contradict yourself. You say none of it is SW but then you say the later batch 18 is “clearly not all SW” which would suggest it is partly SW? 

Labeling obscurity for whatever reason it read like it did, I think the vast majority of people believe the 17 and early 18 to be SW. I believe that as well. 

Yes they started bringing in barrels from elsewhere to SW at some point, which they still do today. But none of the Orphan Barrels that Diageo has aged there tastes like SW. Nor have I ever been lead to believe that Diageo has had wheated stock from Bernheim aging at SW, otherwise in their profiteering style they would’ve bottled a hyper aged wheated for a crazy price by now. But none of that changes that the JPS 17 and early 18 taste like SW to me. And I’m like the opposite of a Jefferson’s apologist. 

44 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Yes I know about the later 18 batch blending which is what I referred to with the “saga” comment. Your comments here contradict yourself. You say none of it is SW but then you say the later batch 18 is “clearly not all SW” which would suggest it is partly SW? 

No contradiction, just pointing out owner admitted adding ryed bourbon to whatever it was to begin with.  I've tasted plenty of SW and plenty of Ed Foote wheated bourbon distilled around that early 90's timeframe, enough so I think I can notice the difference.  To me the JPS 17 is Bernheim.  Since company owner is lying sack of shit, we well never know for sure.

54 minutes ago, wadewood said:

No contradiction, just pointing out owner admitted adding ryed bourbon to whatever it was to begin with.  I've tasted plenty of SW and plenty of Ed Foote wheated bourbon distilled around that early 90's timeframe, enough so I think I can notice the difference.  To me the JPS 17 is Bernheim.  Since company owner is lying sack of shit, we well never know for sure.

Trey is a lying sack of shit, that much we can agree on for sure. For what it’s worth this is from the press release when JPS 17 came out. Does it mean it’s true? No, but the press release was Mosley specific fhan the cryptic bottle labels.

Produced by what many consider to be history's finest bourbon distillery, Stitzel-Weller, Jefferson's Presidential Select is a truly superlative offering.

15 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Trey is a lying sack of shit, that much we can agree on for sure. For what it’s worth this is from the press release when JPS 17 came out. Does it mean it’s true? No, but the press release was Mosley specific fhan the cryptic bottle labels.

Produced by what many consider to be history's finest bourbon distillery, Stitzel-Weller, Jefferson's Presidential Select is a truly superlative offering.

“Produced by”. 

That makes me nervous for anyone wanting proof it’s SW distillate. 

We all know what those words mean when we see it on a label without the words “distilled by”. 

Ive always thought it was SW distillate as well. 

Now I’m not so sure. 

• I like it 1

Either way, I will say the JPS 17 and early 18 were very good bourbon.  I kick myself so leaving so many on the shelf.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.