What's on your list of bourbons to buy?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

will try to exercise more discretion, but I think my list would be:

- ECBP (either the B517 or the C917 when they hit VA)

- Stagg Jr Batch 9

- hopefully something if I get lucky enough in the VA ABC lotteries upcoming

- 1792 Bottled in Bond (not sure when it's release will be widespread and what distribution to VA will look like)

- Four Roses Private Selections if I'm traveling (Ideally something in the 10 year age range and even better if the have any K,V, or O's)

- an Abraham Bowman (whenever they have their next release)

- and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff will pop up

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

will try to exercise more discretion, but I think my list would be:

- ECBP (either the B517 or the C917 when they hit VA)

- Stagg Jr Batch 9

- hopefully something if I get lucky enough in the VA ABC lotteries upcoming

- 1792 Bottled in Bond (not sure when it's release will be widespread and what distribution to VA will look like)

- Four Roses Private Selections if I'm traveling (Ideally something in the 10 year age range and even better if the have any K,V, or O's)

- an Abraham Bowman (whenever they have their next release)

- and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff will pop up

Aside from the proof, is there any way to tell between the Stagg Jr batches? 

Edited by Bnrhodes3

10 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

Aside from the proof, is there any way to tell between the Stagg Jr batches? 

just the proof

Batch 1 134.4
Batch 2 128.7
Batch 3 132.1
Batch 4 132.2
Batch 5 129.7
Batch 6 132.5
Batch 7 130.0
Batch 8 129.5
Batch 9

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, JoeTerp said:

just the proof

Batch 1 134.4
Batch 2 128.7
Batch 3 132.1
Batch 4 132.2
Batch 5 129.7
Batch 6 132.5
Batch 7 130.0
Batch 8 129.5
Batch 9

Cool - thank you! Since I didn't see any other markings on the bottles I've come across, that was my guess, but wasn't sure if I was missing something. I have Batch 8 then, and a store I frequent got a bottle this week, but it was Batch 8 as well.

In spite of mixed reviews and gouging prices when I have seen it (like, 1.5 times MSRP) AND in spite of being MSRP'd close to JB BIB which I like, I'd pick up at least one JB Distiller's Cut @ about $25.  Others I will now buy on sight whether I need more or not?  RHF, VOB BIB, HH BIB 6yr (which is NOT available within 100 miles of me), and impulse-buy bargain priced anything.  

• I like it 1

I don't plan my purchases out anymore.  Any LE at MSRP is a given, but I haven't run across one of those in a least a couple of years.  So I basically just check out a couple of stores where I travel and pick up new stuff I haven't had before.  A few that I haven't yet had that I'll probably grab in the next year are anything in the Old Forester whiskey row series, 1792 high rye, IW Harper 15 and maybe Wild Turkey Decades.

I ain't got no list.  :huh:

I plan on trying to further curtail my purchases and drink what I have. (Easier said than done.)  If I run across something I really like, and it's priced reasonably, I might buy it. Then again I might not. I no longer chase Pappy, BTAC or le's. Been there, done that. If one happens to fall into my lap at close to retail, we'll see what happens. 

Sláinte! Joe

• I like it 1

Virginia ABC stores had a Black Friday sale today - 15% off your bill if you spend $50(?)-$99 and 20% off if you spend $100 or more.  So, I found a store near Fredericksburg (which I was going to be close to, anyway) and picked up three Isaac Bowman port finished @ MSRP $40 and then stocked up on Cointreau, OGD BIB, sweet vermouth (as we enter Manhattan and Negroni season), Campari, and some tequila.

Think of the money I saved!!!

I just tried the Isaac Bowman.  It is 92 proof.  It is exceptionally smooth, has just a hint of port sweetness, and a bundle of flavors that compliment and complement each other.  For persons who found Angel's Envy and similar finished bourbons just a little too sweet, or cute, or fussy, likely you'll find the IB just a little . . .  At $40 per 750, though, I am pleased I spent the extra half hour to go get some - not to mention everything was 20% off, and we needed all those cocktails parts, anyway.;)

EDIT- Oh, yeah - why here instead of what did I buy today?  The Issac Bowman was on my list.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Oh, yeah, why here instead of "buy today"

At some point down the road I am looking to add JDSBBP, WP10, WTRB116, maybe a OF1920 or if there is any of a particular RRSmbSB PS that I really like I may get that. There is a local ATL Distillery called ASW and they have a 100% rye that I tried and liked (Resurgens Rye) I will nab one of those if I find it  and a Virgin 101 if I get anywhere near Alabama. That'll keep me busy for awhile LOL!!

Whatever I decide to buy with my retirement money and if they ever dropped into my lap at reasonable prices, WLW & GTS.

• I like it 1

I ain't got no list.  :huh:

I plan on trying to further curtail my purchases and drink what I have. (Easier said than done.)  If I run across something I really like, and it's priced reasonably, I might buy it. Then again I might not. I no longer chase Pappy, BTAC or le's. Been there, done that. If one happens to fall into my lap at close to retail, we'll see what happens. 

Sláinte! Joe

Ahhh Joe, you've obviously achieved the bourbon zen that many of us aspire to after we've been there and done that...I'm still working on getting there! I think it might take a few more bourbon hunting seasons before I completely get there, but next year may be a little more relaxed. Gotta scratch that itch you know!

Top items on my list:

Pappy 15, 20 and maybe 23 (hopeful that I get at least one this year)
HWMWND
Blanton's SFTB

Cheers! Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coming back here for some more of that greasy thread mojo ahead of my trip next week. 

JJB, SAOS SB, W12

Please.  And, Thank you. 

I'd be happy to find any Weller, ETL, BTAC or PVW at msrp or at least close to msrp. Never had any of them but would like to know what all the hysteria is about.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.