Storage question

classacked
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I left a few bottles (new/sealed) out in my truck tonight and temps are supposed to close to freezing.

Will they be ok in the morning?

Sorry if it sounds like an asinine question.

Hhhhm.  Is nice to know that an 80 proofer (interpolating AVW as being close to ABV because alcohol is a little lighter than water) freezes (or just becomes slushy) at about minus 86F.  I've only experienced -70F windchill which leaves a good margin of error (THANK you, Uncle Sam; I learned a lot training in that blizzard).

FWIW, don't worry about leaving some in the trunk in Summer, either.  Remember, rick houses get super hot, and the stuff we are drinking was distilled, anyway.  Plus, I have years of practical experience with BOTH bourbon being heated and cooled in the trunk.  I often forget I stashed some under the floor of the trunk in the wheel well and discover it months later, usually when I'm stashing something new.  Never even had a dried out cork - that takes years to happen.

Now that I think about it, in undergrad Physics class, we had to calculate how much antifreeze to add to a battery to keep it from freezing.  Never did figure out molality, molarity, and similar terms of art.  Is why I left engineering behind.  Left the damn book with the formula in it behind, too.

I have heard of caps or corks leaking a little due to big temperature changes.  Your stuff will probably be ok.  Somewhere in the house is better.

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I have heard of caps or corks leaking a little due to big temperature changes.  Your stuff will probably be ok.  Somewhere in the house is better.

Now, this is true.  I have learned to check the tightness of screwtops BEFORE putting them in the car, especially if I have to lay them down for some reason (concealment, space, excess clinking, etc.).  I pay more attention to natural corks as I have found that they are not as consistently made as caps and synthetics.  The smell test is usually sufficient to determine if a bottle temporarily stored on its side (like for days)or even just after purchasing has a leak or is loose.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
or even . . . or is loose

Yeah Harry, you know why the JD (or some others) bottle is square shaped?  So it doesn't roll out from under the seat when you're driving. 

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Yeah Harry, you know why the JD (or some others) bottle is square shaped?  So it doesn't roll out from under the seat when you're driving. 

I am ashamed.  I am a Tennessee Squire.  I have been drinking JD legally since May 1966.  I NEVER thought of that.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.