Navy Rum; Rum in Scotland

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just drawing attention that my last four posts at www.beeretseq.com deal with rum. The current one is on rum in Scotland, here: http://www.beeretseq.com/scotlands-second-spirit-rum/.

Preceding that one three posts deal with Navy rum, that is, with the rum ration as it was called in the RN (Royal Navy), New Zealand Navy, and Canadian Navy. 

How I've approached Navy rum is, I've drawn attention to other blogs, and one book in particular, I consider excellent resources. I've also selected for further discussion particular areas that interested me.

Finally, I add information from original research I've done I've seen nowhere else. This includes an 1876 visit to the Deptford rum stores in London where navy rum was blended and aged, an 1896 U.K. magazine article, a colour Canadian TV clip recording the end of the rum ration in Canada (1972), and a recollection of a U.K. naval officer of a drunkenness issue caused by the rum ration on a ship in 1946.

I hope this interests the rum fans here.

One of my goals is to taste Black Tot, which is authentic rum from before the rum ration ended in Britain in 1970. I'll be looking for it in New York soon - if any tips how to find it, I assume at a price, :), do let me know. Thanks.

Gary

Edited by Gillman
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, Gillman said:

Just drawing attention that my last four posts at www.beeretseq.com deal with rum. The current one is on rum in Scotland, here: http://www.beeretseq.com/scotlands-second-spirit-rum/.

Preceding that one three posts deal with Navy rum, that is, with the rum ration as it was called in the RN (Royal Navy), New Zealand Navy, and Canadian Navy. 

How I've approached Navy rum is, I've drawn attention to other blogs, and one book in particular, I consider excellent resources. I've also selected for further discussion particular areas that interested me.

Finally, I add information from original research I've done I've seen nowhere else. This includes an 1876 visit to the Deptford rum stores in London where navy rum was blended and aged, an 1896 U.K. magazine article, a colour Canadian TV clip recording the end of the rum ration in Canada (1972), and a recollection of a U.K. naval officer of a drunkenness issue caused by the rum ration on a ship in 1946.

I hope this interests the rum fans here.

One of my goals is to taste Black Tot, which is authentic rum from before the rum ration ended in Britain in 1970. I'll be looking for it in New York soon - if any tips how to find it, I assume at a price, :), do let me know. Thanks.

Gary

Not sure about shipping in Canada but Master's of Malt had samples at some point. Apart from that I'm aware of where a bottle or two are but never have seen it as a pour. If you find a place let me know!

Thanks and I think I found it in NYC, at the Rum House on 47th St. $150 a pour.

Hope you liked the articles...

Gary

1 hour ago, Gillman said:

Thanks and I think I found it in NYC, at the Rum House on 47th St. $150 a pour.

Hope you liked the articles...

Gary

Funny I walk by the Rum House frequently on my way home from work, never once thought about going in or checking out the selection.

Thanks gents and appreciate any other comments/suggestions. 

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.