High West Midwinter's Nights Dram preferences

BamaGrad2005
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a fan of High West and got a chance to try HWMWND at a bar here in Lexington. I had it neat and really enjoyed it. It is no where to be found locally, so a friend in Massachusetts bought me a bottle and is sending it down. It is going to be a great Christmas!

Here is my question...at the bar, they asked if I wanted the pour neat, on the rocks, or "warmed." As in, they were going to increase the temperature of the whiskey. Has anyone else encountered this?

All I can imagine is they might use one of those brandy warming contraptions? That being said MWND might be a good hot toddy all on it's own.

The bartender said it and it took me by surprise. I might give it a try when my bottle arrives.

I suppose the heavy port influence might make it work as a hot toddy of sorts. They said room temperature works just fine for me!

I have a sake warmer...might give this a try with a (slightly cheaper) pour of yippee first as a test run before I go heating up my MWND.

I had lots of sake warm back in the day. But a sake class I took suggested that the sake typically drunk warm is the basic everyday variety and that the "good stuff" should never be drunk warm. Works for me!

31 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I had lots of sake warm back in the day. But a sake class I took suggested that the sake typically drunk warm is the basic everyday variety and that the "good stuff" should never be drunk warm. Works for me!

Ha - my sake master (and supplier) has always said that bars warm their sake to cover the poor quality of the drink.  Every Junmai Daiginjo sake I've ever consumed was served cold, whether in Japan, Hawaii, or Massachusetts with wonderful and satisfying results.   Warming HWMWND might be interesting, but it warms me up just fine by itself!   Hmmmm, now where is that new SB.com Glencairn glass - I know what tonight's pour will be.   :ph34r:

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That’s what I’ve been given to understand as well. I like a warm (cheap) sake every once in a while on a cold night while my girlfriend has a cup of tea. Sake is something I enjoy but know very little about so I usually just rely on the sake buyer at one of the bigger stores nearby to tell me what to buy/how to drink it haha.

13 minutes ago, NYCBourbon said:

That’s what I’ve been given to understand as well. I like a warm (cheap) sake every once in a while on a cold night while my girlfriend has a cup of tea. Sake is something I enjoy but know very little about so I usually just rely on the sake buyer at one of the bigger stores nearby to tell me what to buy/how to drink it haha.

What?  You don't Trust ME??????   :P

And the HWMWND Act 5 Scene 8 is going down so smooth and tasty tonite - must be the SB.com glass, no?   ;)

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

48 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

What?  You don't Trust ME??????   :P

And the HWMWND Act 5 Scene 8 is going down so smooth and tasty tonite - must be the SB.com glass, no?   ;)

Certainly do! I really wish I knew more about sake; it’s something I’ve found difficult to dig very deeply into (like delving into the deeper/nerdier end of Japanese kitchen knives) without knowing the language and being able to read some of the information that’s out there.

I do, however, agree that MWND is always a good choice on a cold night. 

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ha - my sake master (and supplier) has always said that bars warm their sake to cover the poor quality of the drink.  Every Junmai Daiginjo sake I've ever consumed was served cold, whether in Japan, Hawaii, or Massachusetts with wonderful and satisfying results.   Warming HWMWND might be interesting, but it warms me up just fine by itself!   Hmmmm, now where is that new SB.com Glencairn glass - I know what tonight's pour will be.   :ph34r:

You like your rice with a tight shave I see!

In my class (which is not to say I don't trust you! :lol:) "cold" was not really desirable either (except maybe for Nigori or Namazake) and that "cool", as in less than room temperature but not cold like being refrigerated (in the 50's basically), is best. Then again I drink few spirits neat that are truly cold as I think it also dulls flavor significantly. 

• I like it 1

OK, you win - "cool" not "cold (refrigerated)".  Same with soju at a Korean barbeque.  English is NOT my native language!   :P

8 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You like your rice with a tight shave I see!

Ha, ha - at least 50%!!!   ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I like it both neat and on the rocks.

I personally think that High West’s midwinter night dram is one of the best whiskeys on the planet. For under $100, I think it’s a great value if you can scoop some up. I’ve noticed prices at high west have been creeping up at the local stores. (With good reason) My good friend usually saves me a bottle of midwinter night when they get their small allocation in. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.