FasterHorses

Stranahans/ HW pre buyout

FasterHorses

How would I identify bottles from these two distilleries that were bottled before the distilleries were sold? Also in your opinion, is there a big difference in the quality of the whiskey pre and post buyout?

tanstaafl2

Stranahan's used to have a batch number on the bottle and I think it still does though I am not sure. There was a transition period of course but it was sold way back in 2010 so batch numbers would have to be low double digits to be pre Proximo. Probably at least Batch 75 or below. The lower the better.

HW may be a bit more difficult. It is more recent (Fall of 2016) and I haven't looked to see if there was any kind of code printed on the bottle or label. While the labels are similar the newer bottles do tend to have a slightly different looking label (bigger picture maybe?). I remember that the American Prairie bourbon used to have a different animal pictured on the label for each batch. I think the original one, which was well before the sale, had a pronghorn antelope. Then it had a prairie chicken. But I think it has now gone back to the pronghorn. So a Prairie bourbon featuring a prairie chicken would probably be prior to the sale!

bourbon4all
40 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Stranahan's used to have a batch number on the bottle and I think it still does though I am not sure. There was a transition period of course but it was sold way back in 2010 so batch numbers would have to be low double digits to be pre Proximo. Probably at least Batch 75 or below. The lower the better.

HW may be a bit more difficult. It is more recent (Fall of 2016) and I haven't looked to see if there was any kind of code printed on the bottle or label. While the labels are similar the newer bottles do tend to have a slightly different looking label (bigger picture maybe?). I remember that the American Prairie bourbon used to have a different animal pictured on the label for each batch. I think the original one, which was well before the sale, had a pronghorn antelope. Then it had a prairie chicken. But I think it has now gone back to the pronghorn. So a Prairie bourbon featuring a prairie chicken would probably be prior to the sale!

The prairie chicken is definitely a younger batch and should contain 10 year four roses and 6 year mgp. 

bourbon4all

Oh and high west puts the year on the bottle

bourbon4all

2014 and 2016

15145077397471984781890.jpg

Kane
9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Also in your opinion, is there a big difference in the quality of the whiskey pre and post buyout?

Speaking for Stranahan's, I had one of their earliest releases thanks to a friend that did their bottling line volunteer thing. It was very different (loads of caramel, no hint of malt) from and much better than my modern day bottle (malty & herbal, strong pine notes, yet a weird bourbon sweetness from the barrel). Then I had pours of it here and there for a long time, and finally realized that, actually, they are all very different. The moral of the story is, pre or post, they simply can't make consistent juice :)

FasterHorses

Really great information! Love the knowledge on this site. Thanks fellas. 

FasterHorses

Grabbed a 2013 Campfire and passed on some 2012 Rendezvous Rye. Probably will go back for the 2012.

enhanceenhance

Edited by FasterHorses