Cocktails, 2018

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a hankerin’ for a Bloody Mary today while I’m smoking a turkey breast, so whipped one up Smokinjoe style.  That is, with bacon and Mellow Corn.  This shall be lunch...  :D

20499B29-07E9-4ED1-BE71-9AB960119A42.jpeg

• I like it 3

KC CS Rye, Big O Ginger Liqueur, Herbsaint, Angostura, and Peychaud's for a ginger Sazerac.  Tasty.

Edit: Well it WAS before my wife accidentally knocked my glass to the floor.

Edited by Clueby

Mixing up my candy cane infused bourbon for Christmas drinking.

17AB3253-5ECC-4B45-9591-C19147931740.jpeg

• I like it 1

I received Gary Regan’s newly revised “The Joy of Mixology” for Christmas. 

What a fun and educational read that gives tons of definitions, tips, for pros and even cocktail noobs like me.  Whipped together The Bedford from the recipe section.  Had to sub Cynar for Dubonnet Rouge, and Grand Marnier for Cointreau, but still hoping this is close to the intended profile.  Regardless, I’m enjoying it with a little football.  

702F6942-DE35-4591-A6B7-695DF2C6B917.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What a fun and educational read that gives tons of definitions, tips, for pros and even cocktail noobs like me.  Whipped together The Bedford from the recipe section.  Had to sub Cynar for Dubonnet Rouge, and Grand Marnier for Cointreau, but still hoping this is close to the intended profile.  Regardless, I’m enjoying it with a little football.  

702F6942-DE35-4591-A6B7-695DF2C6B917.jpeg

Mr. Joe, I enlarged the pic you included quite a bit, and still could not see that "little football" you mentioned enjoying with this cocktail... it must have VERY small, indeed!

How did that tiny pigskin taste with the Bedford, if I might ask?

Made an applewood smoked Manhattan last night.  Definitely different, but I enjoyed it.

23 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Mr. Joe, I enlarged the pic you included quite a bit, and still could not see that "little football" you mentioned enjoying with this cocktail... it must have VERY small, indeed!

How did that tiny pigskin taste with the Bedford, if I might ask?

It’s a slice from a Nerf football hanging on the rim of the glass...  

• I like it 1

Gorgeous day here, Down South, so got some outdoor chores done.  Relaxing now  out back with a Vieux Carre from Regan’s Book.  Subbed B&B for Benedictine, but I think that’ll be OK.  

So,you say you’re bored with simple bourbon?  Start working some cocktails.  It’s a lot of fun, particularly if you really hadn’t done them much beyond a gin and tonic, like me.  And who knows, you may get one named for you...though, they may take liberties with your middle name...:D

CCABB778-E0BD-49D5-B4EC-814739BA0D23.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Subbed B&B for Benedictine, but I think that’ll be OK.  

Before I started drinking whiskey, B&B was my drink of choice after a nice steak dinner. Love that stuff!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Gorgeous day here, Down South, so got some outdoor chores done.  Relaxing now  out back with a Vieux Carre from Regan’s Book.  Subbed B&B for Benedictine, but I think that’ll be OK.  

So,you say you’re bored with simple bourbon?  Start working some cocktails.  It’s a lot of fun, particularly if you really hadn’t done them much beyond a gin and tonic, like me.  And who knows, you may get one named for you...though, they may take liberties with your middle name...:D

Like Smokin' Michael Frederick Joe?  :D  Heeee-Hee!

On 1/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, smokinjoe said:

Interesting but likely a bit different with those substitutions. Granma is more cognac forward than Cointreau and Cynar is, well, more "artichokey" than Dubonnet! You want the specified ingredients just let me know and I can bring them over next time I make the long trek to Cobboland!

Interesting but likely a bit different with those substitutions. Granma is more cognac forward than Cointreau and Cynar is, well, more "artichokey" than Dubonnet! You want the specified ingredients just let me know and I can bring them over next time I make the long trek to Cobboland!

I’ve heard rumor that you might stock a cocktail supply or two. Is that true?
  • I like it 1

Whipped up a Boulevardier this afternoon. Tossed in a few shakes of black walnut bitters.  Whoa, GOOD!  Loving these bitters, as I introduce them into cocktails.  A little goes a long way, though.  I have learned to be less heavy handed than my usual paint can shaker method I utilize with Angostura...  :D

8272245F-B01F-474D-8914-3E76AADFED1D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Whipped up a Boulevardier this afternoon. Tossed in a few shakes of black walnut bitters.  Whoa, GOOD!  Loving these bitters, as I introduce them into cocktails.  A little goes a long way, though.  I have learned to be less heavy handed than my usual paint can shaker method I utilize with Angostura...  :D

RE: walnut bitters; started with the recipe below circa 2014 and now would NEVER be without walnut bitters for a change of flavor now and then  - -

Orange Bulleit -

1.5 OZ Bulleit Rye (or equivalent rye) (maybe even 2 OZ of Pikesville)

0.5 OZ Solerno Blood Orange liqueur (or equivalent but probably not a basic triple sec)

4 or more dashes of walnut bitters (maybe even just 3 unless you grew up in SoCal, and your grandmother had a walnut tree in her yard so you got addicted early.)

Put in a shaker with ice and shake a lot.  THEN, strain into a small rocks glass with fresh ice.  (Not sure why to strain, but the bartender said the recipe called for it.)

SOURCE: Clyde's Restaurant Group, Wash DC Oct 2014.

We need a 2019 thread.

Had a Big O Sazerac tonight.  2oz KC cask strength rye, 1 oz Big O ginger liqueur,  1/2 oz Herbsaint, couple dashes of Peychauds and a dash of Angostura. 

20190113_202843-1612x784.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, BigRich said:

I’ve heard rumor that you might stock a cocktail supply or two. Is that true?

I too have heard those rumors!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.