Just made my first Manhattan.

brock957
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I just made my first Manhattan , and I liked it.

2 oz BT bourbon

1 oz sweet vermouth 

touch of bitters

1 maraschino cherry

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Now try it with rye and without the cherry :ph34r:

I will. Ive got some high west double rye.

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, brock957 said:

I will. Ive got some high west double rye.

Thanks. 

That's a fantastic rye, my favorite.  You didn't mention what vermouth you used - but note that this too can greatly impact the flavor of your Manhattan.  I have been using Carpano Antica which has a distinct vanilla bean flavor that goes great in a Manhattan.  

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, marshbound said:

That's a fantastic rye, my favorite.  You didn't mention what vermouth you used - but note that this too can greatly impact the flavor of your Manhattan.  I have been using Carpano Antica which has a distinct vanilla bean flavor that goes great in a Manhattan.  

For basic sweet vermouth, I choose Dolins over M&R, both of which are available in 375s.  I do use M&R in Gin & It (2 London dry to one M&R room temp, over ice, shaken, or even batched - friend of ours who was a teenager during WW II said this was her neighborhood's basic drink in London during bombing raids as one could mix it in the dark while sitting in the Underground or premix and then pour until it hit the second knuckle).  I also have a small fridge that holds my open vermouths, some open amari that last longer when refrigerated, some similar open aperitifs, and wine and beer (yeah, it's pretty full).

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, brock957 said:

Looks like I need to shop for some more vermouth .

You're using a top quality rye, this is no time to go cheap in the vermouth!

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2018 at 1:56 AM, Kane said:

Now try it with rye and without the cherry :ph34r:

I can live with the cherry as long as you don't add other assorted fruit salad (I don't care what Dale DeGroff says). In fact I rather like a good cherry as long as it isn't the dayglo grocery store kind :huh: and you don't let it go to waste! But I agree it isn't really a Manhattan (for me) without rye. It can still be a good drink but it is still a Manhattan variation of some sort without rye!

And no, Canadian whisky is not (necessarily) a rye!

On 1/23/2018 at 11:59 PM, PaulO said:

Yeah, and be sure to refrigerate the vermouth after it's opened.

An absolute must!

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

2 dashes angustura bitters
2 dashes peychaud' bitters
2/3 KC Rye
1/3 Cocchi Vermouth
1 maraschino chery

I'm really enjoying this...8bf7dff54291f6ce1e0c789b8764b1b9.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G935P mediante Tapatalk

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to "The King Of Cocktails"! Just an all time classic that can be personalized to your particular taste. On Saturday I made one with Rittenhouse Rye, Dolin French vermouth and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters, plus a Luxardo cherry with a smidge of the juice. Sometimes I throw in some Regan's Orange bitters as well. Always on the rocks, just my preference. 

I am not a huge fan of bourbon Manhattans, I find them just too sweet. I like my bourbon all by itself. My standard Manhattan is Canadian Club with Martini & Rossi vermouth, some people might look down their noses at that version, but I think it tastes just fine. To each their own, enjoy. 

Try a Black Manhattan:

2 oz Hudson Manhattan Rye

1 oz Averna

Bitters of choice

Brandied cherry

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.