Bulleit Barrel Strength

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Your question made me wonder about a few things. As bourbon4all stated, older Bulleit was Four Roses distillate. A few years ago when Four Roses didn’t renew their contract, Bulleit had to go elsewhere for their distillate. I’m not sure which distillery supplies Four Roses now. Speculation is either Beam or  Brown Forman.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  That aside, at a couple of stores in my area, the cost of Bulleit has actually dropped. One store in particular has had 375’s of regular and rye on sale for months. Single bottles for $8.99 each, or twin packs of one each for $16.99(?). The price for 750’s of all variations has dropped some too. Kinda makes me wonder what’s going on. Has anyone else seen this in their area?  

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Your question made me wonder about a few things. As bourbon4all stated, older Bulleit was Four Roses distillate. A few years ago when Four Roses didn’t renew their contract, Bulleit had to go elsewhere for their distillate. I’m not sure which distillery supplies Four Roses now. Speculation is either Beam or  Brown Forman.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  That aside, at a couple of stores in my area, the cost of Bulleit has actually dropped. One store in particular has had 375’s of regular and rye on sale for months. Single bottles for $8.99 each, or twin packs of one each for $16.99(?). The price for 750’s of all variations has dropped some too. Kinda makes me wonder what’s going on. Has anyone else seen this in their area?  

Biba! Joe

I've seen the Beam and B-F barrels in the Bulleit rickhouses with my own eyes.

I've also been told by someone well placed in the industry that Barton is a big supplier now.

Bulleit still has a lot of 4R barrels in the pipeline and it will take a while to deplete those. 

It's truly a Frankenstein bourbon right now.

• I like it 4

30 minutes ago, flahute said:

I've seen the Beam and B-F barrels in the Bulleit rickhouses with my own eyes.

I've also been told by someone well placed in the industry that Barton is a big supplier now.

Bulleit still has a lot of 4R barrels in the pipeline and it will take a while to deplete those. 

It's truly a Frankenstein bourbon right now.

Thanks for the info Steve. 

• I like it 1

In the Minneapolis area, bulleit bs was super cheap.  This was about 2-3 months ago and it’s all dried up now and back to normal price.  I bought many bottles at between 18.50 and 22 per bottle after tax.

For the price, I enjoy it immensely.  It simply can’t be beat for this price.  At 60 that is a different story.  My understanding is that batch 3 and 4 is 4r in large part.

The last Bulliet Barrel Strength I finished tasted like 100% Four Roses. I don't recall which batch it was, but it didn't taste anything like Beam or BF, though of course some of those barrels could have been in the blend. Really, it tasted like an average Four Roses store pick - which is to say, very, very good.

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

The last Bulliet Barrel Strength I finished tasted like 100% Four Roses. I don't recall which batch it was, but it didn't taste anything like Beam or BF, though of course some of those barrels could have been in the blend. Really, it tasted like an average Four Roses store pick - which is to say, very, very good.

I'd wager it's still mostly 4R at this point.

• I like it 1

I have found it to be somewhat a 'one trick' pony.  A bit hot, thin and lacking complexity. 

I personally find that I can do better elsewhere, when crossing the 110 proof bridge...;)

• 3 months later...

Got my BBS Batch 5 alongside the 2019 OESK PS "Say What Again!" in the 2020 bunker for an educational SBS next year.  

Happy Holidaze, SB.com!! 

• I like it 1

Does anyone have batch 3? If so, what’s your opinion on it? I’m particularly interested if you think it was a 4R sourced batch. 

19 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Does anyone have batch 3? If so, what’s your opinion on it? I’m particularly interested if you think it was a 4R sourced batch. 

I have Batch 3.  I think it is quite good.  Not sure on the Four Roses, but I can give it a taste again sometime soon.  Just sniffed the open bottle, and I couldn’t discern a clear provenance, but it smelled darn good...

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I have Batch 3.  I think it is quite good.  Not sure on the Four Roses, but I can give it a taste again sometime soon.  Just sniffed the open bottle, and I couldn’t discern a clear provenance, but it smelled darn good...

Four Roses or not I’ll give it a shot eventually based on your opinion. 

On 12/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, CUfan99 said:

Four Roses or not I’ll give it a shot eventually based on your opinion. 

I think most of what they have that has any age on it at all is still Four Roses. At the distillery they are even doing a Four Roses-esque five yeast/two mashbill description of their whiskey on their distillery tour and the two store picks we did recently are definitely FR in my opinion..

Of course they won't tell you that!

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 4

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to the batch 3. Four Roses for sure and it’s very good. I would drink 4R barrel picks most of the time if they were more available. This will be a great pour to help stretch those PS bottles out a little more. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.