Clear Ice Cubes

EarthQuake
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a clear ice cube mold on Amazon, I don't want this to come off as an advertisement so PM me if you want to know the exact product, but it shouldn't be hard to find and there are a number of other, similar designs if you search.

So, it's a silicone mold, but theres two layers and an insulated base that both slot into. You fill the two layers up with water, and then it freezes top down, forcing the air bubbles into the bottom layer. This gives you a clear cube in the top mold. I was skeptical but this actually works. The bubbles shown in the photo are on the very outside, from the side view the cubes more or less disappear in the liquid.

I've tried a number of other experiments to get clear cubes, like boiling/heating the water, using filtered water, etc, but that generally only produces somewhat more clear cubes, but not actually clear ones. I am so excited about these cubes you guys. Only bad part is they take up a lot of space in the freezer, and you gotta remember to take them out otherwise the bottom freezes up too.

Overall, I'm super happy with this. Short of cutting your own ice out of a massive block, this seems like the best choice if you're looking for clear cubes.

27835390_10105101021983020_208415984_o.jpg

27835666_10105101021863260_70212847_o.jpg

27901124_10105101022042900_191288534_o.jpg

27950421_10105101022092800_1554434134_o.jpg

• I like it 2

This really is some of the best home-made clear ice I've ever seen. I've tried several silicone mold variations, but could never get anything that looked clear and/or didn't taste like plastic. I may give this one a go.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 12:23 AM, Kane said:

This really is some of the best home-made clear ice I've ever seen. I've tried several silicone mold variations, but could never get anything that looked clear and/or didn't taste like plastic. I may give this one a go.

The key to using these molds and not having them taste weird is to freeze them, and then immediately take them out of the mold and put them in a ziplock freezer bag. This way they won't taste like plastic or freezer funk. Generally if you leave them in the molds naked in the freeze they'll taste off after a couple weeks.

If you have some funky cubes you can rinse them off with cold water to melt the outer layer too, the funky flavor generally only penetrates the surface of the ice.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.