Ezra Brooks Straight Rye Whiskey

ebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle since it was only $20.00. I find it to be simple, boring and harsh. You?

Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle since it was only $20.00. I find it to be simple, boring and harsh. You?

I pretty found it to be exactly the same. No Rye zing, no youthful brashness, just blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I pretty found it to be exactly the same. No Rye zing, no youthful brashness, just blah.

I had a couple of pours of this at the Beer Bourbon and BBQ festival in ATL today.  I agree, no Rye zing characteristics.  Nice drinking, as in I didn’t find anything off in it and “enjoyed” it, but it didn’t deliver anything of substance that I look for in a rye whiskey.  

• I like it 1

I passed on this the other day.  It's distilled and aged in Indiana.  I hesitated because it's only aged two years, and only 90 proof.  I've learned that some MGP rye can be tasty at 2 years; but it better have the higher proof.

Dickel, and Bulleit are OK at 90 proof; but they are aged at least 4 years.

Same as others - boooooring, lacks character, disappointing.  I don't expect my doors to be blown off for $20, but I guess the Ezra name gave me more hope.  For under $20, their 7yr 101 bourbon is pretty solid.

• I like it 1

Yea, I saw the Ezra name, and thought it might be an inexpensive gem. Not so much...lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Same as others - boooooring, lacks character, disappointing.  I don't expect my doors to be blown off for $20, but I guess the Ezra name gave me more hope.  For under $20, their 7yr 101 bourbon is pretty solid.

The Old Ezra 7yr 101 isn’t readily available in my area, and costs around $30 in some stores, but I’ve found a few places that have it for the low $20 price range. At less than $25, I’m a buyer every time my open bottle starts to get low. I wish the Virgin 101 7yr was available in my area. It’s cheaper than Old Ezra where it’s sold, and just about as good. Sorry for getting off topic, but really like the Old Ezra after buying my first bottle this past year.

• I like it 2

I saw this stuff a few weeks ago too. Picked up the bottle and saw it was 2 years old and distilled in Indiana. Put it right back on the shelf.

• 8 months later...

Here's a thread bump.  I found a store had this marked down to $12.99, so I grabbed one.  I agree with smokinjoe's comments.  I noticed almost no aroma when I opened it and poured.  It's a very easy drinker.  It shares some of the flavors we expect from other MGP sourced rye, but very mild.  No off flavors or real flaws detected.  This is the light version of Bulleit or Dickel Rye.  After a little more research, I may pick up a couple more for the bunker.

Side note - same store had Redemption MGP sourced rye (more expensive).

Back label reads not aged for less than one year!

• I like it 1

I like to have more than one pour to evaluate something new to me.

The verdict - no plans to pick up any more.  There is a whie doggy flavor to it.  I guess that shouldn't ge a big suprize given the lack of age.

• I like it 1

On 12/15/2018 at 1:11 PM, PaulO said:

I like to have more than one pour to evaluate something new to me.

The verdict - no plans to pick up any more.  There is a whie doggy flavor to it.  I guess that shouldn't ge a big suprize given the lack of age.

Yeah . . . even at $13, I don't think I'd pick up another one.  I don't mind young rye, as I find that some (like some MGP) is still pretty tasty even at 2-3 yrs old.  But this was just way too mild for me.  

• I like it 2

Yeah, in the past, I had some WFE bottled MGP rye - 2 years old, but very tasty. Sorry about the typos.  My son was climbing on me.  I can't find the edit feature.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.